Frequency for Focal ES165 KX2

Participant count
  • Participant list
Those your only speakers? Do you have dedicated midbass speakers too? What sub and where is it set?

General rule, if that was your only speakers and a sub. I would set the tweets at 3.5 to 3.8k. The high end on the woofers to about 2.8 to 3.2 depending on your slope and the low end around 100 with a 12db slope (assuming you have a sub set around 80 also with a 12db slope)

Stick with -24db slopes and cross them closer. That will let you bring the tweeter down to 3.5k and still keep the mid in phase.

Be careful with the tweeter. They are not the best down low.

Focal tweeters are crap in a 2 way. I guess it's to late for you to know that now.

As for the mid. Try 80 at -12 and 3.5k at -24. The low end will depend on how high the sub can play. Don't be scared to bring the sub if it can do it.

How are Focal tweets crap? The ones with the power ES series are great. You just don't aim them on axis.
For a 2 way you ideally want a tweeter to cover down low enough to keep the mid range from beaming. They can't do it. A lot of that Focal brightness isn't so much the tweeter. It's the big spike in the mid from playing higher then it should. A 6.5 should be cut off under 2000hz if all possible.

How are Focal tweets crap? The ones with the power ES series are great. You just don't aim them on axis.
This is one of the best sounding mids ever made. It's a bit oversized so the Focal would spike a bit higher. But you can see the response head upwards past 2k. That's also one of our most sensitive ranges.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-revelator-18w/8531g-00-7-mid-woofer-8-ohm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInv6cncmt1QIVQx1pCh0RyApMEAQYAiABEgJNPfD_BwE

Those your only speakers? Do you have dedicated midbass speakers too? What sub and where is it set?
General rule, if that was your only speakers and a sub. I would set the tweets at 3.5 to 3.8k. The high end on the woofers to about 2.8 to 3.2 depending on your slope and the low end around 100 with a 12db slope (assuming you have a sub set around 80 also with a 12db slope)
No mid bass. I have one 12" Hertz sub. I have no knowledge on frequency at all. So on Helix DSP I have to put Highpass and lowpass on tweeter, mid, and sub.

From your suggestion I should put 3.5k on tweeter highpass and 3.8k for lowpass. 2.8k for highpass and 3.2k for lowpass on Mid. How about the sub?

Thank you,

Stick with -24db slopes and cross them closer. That will let you bring the tweeter down to 3.5k and still keep the mid in phase. Be careful with the tweeter. They are not the best down low.

Focal tweeters are crap in a 2 way. I guess it's to late for you to know that now.

As for the mid. Try 80 at -12 and 3.5k at -24. The low end will depend on how high the sub can play. Don't be scared to bring the sub if it can do it.
I have no knowledge about frequency at all. What is your suggestion numbers for this Focal mid and tweeter also one 12" Hertz sub.

I have to input frequency on Helix DSP as first number for tweeter highpass and second number is tweeter lowpass. Same as mid and sub. Please advise what are the best numbers for me at the moment, also don't want to damage my tweeter.

Thank you,

I have no knowledge about frequency at all. What is your suggestion numbers for this Focal mid and tweeter also one 12" Hertz sub.
I have to input frequency on Helix DSP as first number for tweeter highpass and second number is tweeter lowpass. Same as mid and sub. Please advise what are the best numbers for me at the moment, also don't want to damage my tweeter.

Thank you,
Do what I said. You will have to use your ears to dial it in. There isn't a magic number. Don't lowpass the tweeters. They play all the way up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.