should the sub be cut away from the resonant frequency?

Participant count
  • Participant list

surreal89

CarAudio.com Newbie
Italy
good evening, I have a Gorilla Bass 30 brand sub and its resonant frequency is 32Hz.
given that for woofers, mids and tweeters they recommend having the speaker at at least a third of the resonance frequency, I was wondering if this should also be the case for the sub.
but cutting it by a third means making it work around 50/60hz up to 70/80..
but in this way the sub wouldn't sound at all in my opinion.
I have a processor and would like to understand how much to set the high pass to make it safe.
as regards the low pass and crossed perfectly at 70hz with the woofer.
I also take this opportunity to ask you another question.
given that the amplifier does not allow me to completely exclude both the subsonic filter and the low pass, I would like to know if it is right to do as I did, that is, I set the subsonic filter of the amplifier to minimum (15hz) while the low pass is fully open (at 150 Hz).
this way I can do both cuts from the processor.
Is this the right procedure? or did I do something wrong?..do I risk some overlapping of the cuts? or maybe I should close the low pass of the amplifier a little?
I set it to the maximum so when I put the 70hz from the processor I don't risk overlapping.
thanks to who helps me.
I'm Italian, sorry for the pronunciation.

You don't cut for subs.

I set the subsonic for 5hz below port tuning and low pass 60-100hz depending on your system.

Sealed boxes usually don't need a subsonic filter
thanks for the answer, but I didn't understand if you put the 5hz on the amplifier, and then from the processor you put a higher high pass or do you mean that you set the filter at 5hz in a general way?
If you can also help me with the other question I asked you about managing the amplifier and DSP cuts, would you help me.

I have a 70 liter box with a rectangular reflex port
Do you know what the box/port tuning is?

And what is the db/octave slop on the crossovers being used? Setting the amp crossovers as open as possible is fine if you want to run it all from the processor. You can double up on crossovers too, but won't necessarily be needed, say you can run 2 subsonics, like one from the amp and one from another modifying the signal itself. That can be hard to tune, but the amp crossovers are a hard backup, so that's useful.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...