High Frequency Whine from Stereo 04' Lexus RX330

Participant count
  • Participant list

ebarn66

CarAudio.com Newbie
NJ
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance. I have an 2004 RX330 with a stereo that emits an extremely high pitched whine - the frequency of the sound will change when moving the radio dial and reaches frequencies that my old ears cannot register, but others can hear it. The stereo itself appears to be fine - stations tune, CD/Tape will load & eject. The sound occurs whether the car is running or not running. I have had some instances where the high frequency whine will become strong static and one time in the past few months the radio actually emitted music but with extreme static - and then it immediately returned to the high frequency sound. I did some googling and I started focusing on the amplifier - I would be interested in whether others agree with this ? I actually got to the amplifier today, I removed the wiring harness plugged it back in - I got some static then back to a high frequency sound. Question - Does this sound like an amplifier issue ? I pulled it out of the car - is there a way of testing it ? should I replace ? Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Amplifier = Toyota PIONEER GM-8337ZT

OEM amplifiers are a different beast all together. I assume this is the stock set-up, not the Mark-Levinson edition. You have between 6 and 8 speakers in the car. It's a difficult process for most to test the OEM amplifiers. If you know the pin configuration, you can try. It's the HU or the amp and setting one or the other up to test could be difficult. You would have to spend $30-50 in harnesses just so you could isolate the two. You may want to see if a local shop (maybe a local electronic repair shop who isn't interested in selling you a new amplifier) and see what the cost is to test the amplifier. At least that way, if you have to start thinking about a new system, you'll know where to start.

A new amplifier can be had for around $110

If it still makes the sound, then you know it is the HU and now you have an expensive paper weight until you can move it on ebay yoursel. Personally if would be worth it to me to eat $50 on the re-sell to move it fast knowing that it is the HU. At least you know where you need to start. If it's the amp, you're golden!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...