Help with future front stage

Participant count
  • Participant list

Stookay

Tampa
So I am currently using factory bose in my 07 Tahoe, I added an AudioControl LC2i with a Crescendo BC2k on a Sundown Xv2 12 (2.75cu ported @32hz), big three (KnuKonceptz 1/0 ofc) and group 31 battery. My plan for the sub stage is 2 upgraded SA-15's in a ported enclosure and then a bigger amp once I've added an upgraded alternator. The factory bose already has a hard time keeping up and will no doubt be completely lost when I go louder...not to mention is sounds mediocre all by itself. I have a Pioneer AVIC-8100nex and a Sundown sax100.4 ready to go in. I'm not committed to going active yet but I would like to pick up a set of components that sound good with a budget of around $500 at the top end (I still want those **** H.A.T. Clarus 6.5's though) and using factory mounting locations. I would also like to take advantage of the output at 2ohm's if possible but I'm not married to it.

Goals for the fronts would be SQL I suppose. I don't always want to cave my brain in so I would like for my setup to have a solid amount of SQ. I know that a lot of the output quality/quantity is all in the install. I plan on fully dampening my doors (unsure which material to go with yet) and using FAST rings as well as adapter rings. I am just lost as to where to go from here. I've had my eye on the following components:

Sundown SA-6.5cs

H.A.T. Imagine 6.5

B2 HNC6.1

CDT HD-61 (2ohm)

and some others I can't remember

My music genres include: Rap, Rock, Classic Rock, Various Electronic, Ambient, Re-bassed (Decaf etc.), Reggae, and more.

I guess I use the knob (PAC L1 I believe) to adjust the subs, I just want something that has the capability to hang when I try and break the knob off as well as when I am in the mood for semi-critical listening. I know that the ultimate goal is active but I'm just not ready yet - I feel like I've got much more to learn before I take that step as well as the need for more time to play with tuning etc.

Am I asking too much from one set of components (probably) or is there something that will be able to meet those needs or at least come close. In an ideal world, I'd do custom door panels or add another set in some kick panels, but I just don't have the funds for that just yet.

Thanks in advance for the input, glad to finally be a registered member of the forum and I look forward to hearing input from people who have much more knowledge than I do!

cant go active with that pioneer head unit. i'd go with HAT or JBLs los mentioned. Or hertz hsk XL series. I'd get a bigger amp though. a ct 200.4, twisted sounds / synergy 150x4, crescendo symphony 800.4 would do a lot better than that sundown sax for the same price. I'd even bet a ppi 900.4/nvx jad 800.4 or soundstream t900.4 would do as well as that sundown sax 100.4 you were planning.

If you get anywhere more than 150 db, your system will be drowned out regardless with only a single pair of components.

I'd honestly think about doing active if i were you. like four pwx in each door and a good pair of tweeters. It wont lose out to components when done right and the learning curve is not that hard either.

Well I've got the Sax100.4 already. I'm not married to it though. I was under the impression that you could go active with anything so long as I added a dsp to the mix. I had planned an 80prs but I wanted the wife to be able to use CarPlay when she is in the truck and bumpin. Like I said, still trying to learn all this. Thank you for the replies, when it becomes a third vehicle (hopefully soon) I'll be looking into custom doors, I'd certainly be game for some 10's in there. Also, forgive the ignorance, this JBL's look stout but I'm not sure where the closeout is your referencing, just saw them on sonic electronics for $500. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more power, for now I was thinking of just bridging the 100.4 and ditching the rears entirely. Thanks again for all the help!

Well I've got the Sax100.4 already. I'm not married to it though. I was under the impression that you could go active with anything so long as I added a dsp to the mix. I had planned an 80prs but I wanted the wife to be able to use CarPlay when she is in the truck and bumpin. Like I said, still trying to learn all this. Thank you for the replies, when it becomes a third vehicle (hopefully soon) I'll be looking into custom doors, I'd certainly be game for some 10's in there. Also, forgive the ignorance, this JBL's look stout but I'm not sure where the closeout is your referencing, just saw them on sonic electronics for $500. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more power, for now I was thinking of just bridging the 100.4 and ditching the rears entirely. Thanks again for all the help!
Yes a DSP later on would be just perfect.

bridging the 100.4 and ditching the rears is perfect as well. I'd recommend buying a used set so when you are done with it, you can resell it back and not lost out on much money at all vs if you buy new retail and lose out because of price depreciation. Save that money to do your doors with larger drivers and an active setup later.

also if you want loud, i wouldn't touch cdt. They are picky drivers and takes a lot for them to even sound moderately good and they cant keep up at all with anything more than 145db.

i was gonna say the same thing. its still confused why pioneers NEX line doesnt offer active :/
they focus more on speed, better screen resolution and overall UI along with apps. Its a trade off. The DAC is inherently better as well so you just need a decent set of components and it should sound relatively close to a cheaper active setup.

they focus more on speed, better screen resolution and overall UI along with apps. Its a trade off. The DAC is inherently better as well so you just need a decent set of components and it should sound relatively close to a cheaper active setup.
Isnt it just weird to not have it as an option in the "flagship" models tho? Admittedly, I didn't know what it was when I first came to this forum, but I've very familiar with the concept of biamping speakers for quite some time, hell, by B&W bookshelves are even biampable and they were made in the 80s. Just seems weird, maybe its just me

Isnt it just weird to not have it as an option in the "flagship" models tho? Admittedly, I didn't know what it was when I first came to this forum, but I've very familiar with the concept of biamping speakers for quite some time, hell, by B&W bookshelves are even biampable and they were made in the 80s. Just seems weird, maybe its just me
rockford T2 components are bi ampable. They sound pretty good on that nex 8200 unit inside a nissan murano.

Thanks in advance for the input, glad to finally be a registered member of the forum and I look forward to hearing input from people who have much more knowledge than I do!
Hi there. You don't know me but I was hoping you'd grace us with an update.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.