What frequency should i cutoff for my subwoofer

ekah

Senior VIP Member
hawaii
I have 2 psi platform 2 wired to 4 ohms with a pioneer 3700bhs and I'm trying to find out what's a good crossover for the subwoofer?
I have it go as high as 80hz but my question is can I set it for higher like 250hz? Like would it be efficient or not

80hz is the standard. Start there. I rarely take my subs up higher than 80, never higher than 100. The idea is to prevent localization of the frequencies that it is playing. At 100 hz, and let's say a 12db crossover slope, you run the risk of some mid-midbass that is not desirable, playing from your subs. Your other speakers, hopefully in the 5.25" - 6.5" size, are capable of picking up from that 80 hz rounding out the midbass regions. I assume you have an amplifier that is powering the subs. Which amplifier are you using?

Last edited:
You can set it wherever you want, so just test it and see what sounds good, but don't push anything that sounds terrible too far. What type of enclosure the subs are in can make a substantial difference with playing a usable wide bandwidth. Being wired at 4 ohms will probably help you as well, vs something like 1 ohm final load, I guess that's what you mean.

Last edited:

Precision Power P900.4​

Skar audio skv2 3500
Deaf bonce Sylvester 6.5
Subs in a ported tuned to 32hz

2 Psi platform 2 wired to final 4ohms

Could someone enlighten me about dB as well on head unit and at the amps and how they change things from both sides and what not

Last edited:
Could someone enlighten me about dB as well on head unit and at the amps and how they change things from both sides and what not
Are you asking what frequency to set the sub output at the radio? When you state dB (decibel), what setting are you looking at? Is it the Slope?

Last edited:
It might start breaking up if you run too high but any quality sub should be able to play up to 250Hz. The box will play a huge role in what the usuable range is...but you might be better served looking at mids that can handle 90 and up

Last edited:
I wouldn't cross above ~120-150hz, pulls the midbass to the back of the car if you go higher. If you're running a decent pair of 5.25 to 6.5" midbass drivers, then I don't see any reason to cross above ~120hz. Might go as high as ~150hz if you only have a 4" midrange upfront.

Personally I never set it above 80hz. Really once you go above 60hz it starts to be very easy to localize the bass as being behind you since the higher you go the more directional sound gets.

That said I do have my front sub playing 25-150hz currently. But it's in the front seat area and time aligned with the midbass to sum correctly. If it wasn't properly time aligned it could not only drag the sound stage rearwards but also be destructive to the midbass portion of the system.

80hz is what I used to set most setups at when we did basic install for common users and works well 90% of the time. Currently I plan to low pass my subs at 60hz and let my front sub and midbass high pass at 60hz. This gives me about 2:1 ratio of cone area for the drivers playing 20-60 and 60-150hz respectively which is where we typically have a higher gain setting or boost in the target curve. A common curve is 9db higher in that range but I like about 12-18db personally with a rather steep drop from 150-300hz and flat as far as possible after that.

Last edited:
I have 2 psi platform 2 wired to 4 ohms with a pioneer 3700bhs and I'm trying to find out what's a good crossover for the subwoofer?
I have it go as high as 80hz but my question is can I set it for higher like 250hz? Like would it be efficient or not
Trust your ears. If your soundsystem rolls off early without a sub, then cutting high Can be beneficial. Most cut around 80hz, but I have had good experience with as high as 150hz on some occasions.

The higher you cut, the more power your subs will drain per mm cone excusion, so you might get slightly lower output if your amp is undersized, if it is oversized, your subs will run hotter. As long as you are within the subwoofer power recommendation, this is nothing to worry about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...