Finding A Good Career in the Audio Feild??

And going into the EE field might not do it either. I went from ME to EE back to ME because EE didn't go in the direction of car audio, but manufacturing.

Jacob from sundown started with nothing and now makes bank took a few years but if you build a good quality product then you can survive but you better have the cash to make it threw the ruff times. Shops are dying out due to their own actions. You can only rip some many people off before the word gets around. Charging $7 for a single 0awg terminal what He almost got punched in the mouth. Went down the rd to a pawn shop and got a bag of 10 for 5.99.. Lets not forget he asked what tweets and mids I was using and when I told him he said thats home audio equipment and should not be used in cars cause it cant take the abuse of being in a car that rocks and shakes when u hit holes and bumps in the road do what... Thats when I closed my car door and pulled away as he was sitting there like a deer in the headlights.. Trying to sell me some overpriced diamond audio comp set that is nice but not 500's nice and my current setup would destroy the diamonds in sq and output at 1/3rd the price. Down with all shops. Sry for the legit shops but it only takes a handful of crooked shops to ruin the whole idea of going to another one. My doors are at one now being glassed been 3 months to glass doors????? Was suppose to be 2 days nonetheless he is doing them for free now cause I raised all kinds of hell. I mentioned the BBB and he shut his mouth right then.

^^ I go to every show I can.. Even the crap ones with 3 people showing up... Wish we had some nice shows around here only good one is Usaci finals and it kinda blows cause cars must be turned off cause its indoors so lots of people dnt even go cause I mean who wants to risk blowing an amp.

Thank you so much for all your replies. Sorry i haven't replied anytime recently, Ive been pretty busy. How about being a Car Audio electrician at car a dealership like GM instead of compared at a regular Car Audio Shop? Is there a big difference in regards of pay?

As far as electronics technician job outlook, its not as rosy as I was led to believe. I did that and moved on to a rudimentary electronic communcations program. No jobs around here and that school is still churning out jobless people 4 times a year. There are jobs in this area but not many and they all want several years min. experience. Not only this but its cheaper to fabricate a new board (though not always) than to fix an old one, its also safer when you're working on planes. (makes up most of the work here)

I'm glad I went but wish if I could dial back a few years I would have started university sooner.

I'm not a shop owner but I've heard this before. Someone wants to make a living out of doing car audio installs, then they open a shop and never have time to work on cars. Everyone I've come across who does the 1-man install business is doing it as a side job. Like many industries the work isn't usually steady year round, so you have to diversify even if it means doing things you don't enjoy.

I haven't gone the typical route of starting as the shop ***** and working my way up, but to me it sounds like you'd be setting yourself up for a few years of penny pinching if that's your only source of income. Don't open a new shop if you are a first time business owner. At the very least take online courses for entrepreneurship, business accounting, maybe a management course, intro to marketing and advertising, and so on, while you keep your day job.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.