Finding A Good Career in the Audio Feild??

legaspi89
10+ year member

Chino CA
My names Robert. Just registered on this forum. I have been fascinated with car stereos ever since I first had my system installed. I've been studying electrical at school and in the future, I want to be able to work around audio systems. Went to ITT to see what they had to offer and they said they don't really focus too much on automotive electrical. So my question is where can I find a successful career or a job that pays really well primarily working around audio equipment??

Would really appreciate the feedback.

Good luck.. the only way to make great money on audio that I know of would be starting your own business and wait a few years for things to pick up.. The audio business for money is like others.. its not what you know its who.. If you know someone that can get you an in at kicker, rockford, jl, jbl, etc etc etc.. that could start things off.. but otherwise there isn't much out there..

even with your own business you won't make any real money, you may make enough to get by but that's it.
for a bit but not if you get well known and do something unique enough to make money..

you would need the basics.. tint alarm exhaust audio.. maybe even add.. oil changes, a DIY section where people can rent tools for a price and as well as booths.. this would do well in a college area where people living in dorms don't have garages or tools but know how to do stuff.. just an idea..

if you can start and keep up with a company where you start your own brand and can do it right it can make money

yah, i would be doing just that if it payed good enough. you can start with the mecp study guide, and learn from the audio forums, and then look around for job openings. i know up here the main part of the work is in autostarts/security, and audio is pretty much the smaller half of it. if this was the 80's and 90's, i would say that you could do decent working for a manufacturer, but really, most all of that is overseas now. the most of us here are all in it for the hobby, not buisness, but many would like both. just wish it payed good

no "massive" amount of money to make, even if you do own your own shop. those of us who do it, don't really do it only for the money... the VAST majority of shop owners (the good ones atleast) do it for the love of the sport.

but yea, like it has already been stated, you can start out with MECP cert, and then look for work at a local shop... your first job at a shop WILL not be glamorous. you will most likely be doing mostly clean up, coffee runs (beer if the shop is really cool), and helping out around the shop. but, this will be the most important time of your career. Use this time to soak up as much info as you can... really is the best way to learn. After a while, the owner (depending on his confidence in you) will begin to give you installs here and there, and depending on how well you do, you should progress on the complexity of the installs from there. after working at a shop for a while, you can start thinking about opening up your own shop.... but it's not easy, and DO NOT expect a profit for atleast the first few years.

and remember, this industry can be very cut throat, so just because you do good work, that doesnt mean that your shop will succeed... its a very hard business model to make succeed.

no "massive" amount of money to make, even if you do own your own shop. those of us who do it, don't really do it only for the money... the VAST majority of shop owners (the good ones atleast) do it for the love of the sport.
but yea, like it has already been stated, you can start out with MECP cert, and then look for work at a local shop... your first job at a shop WILL not be glamorous. you will most likely be doing mostly clean up, coffee runs (beer if the shop is really cool), and helping out around the shop. but, this will be the most important time of your career. Use this time to soak up as much info as you can... really is the best way to learn. After a while, the owner (depending on his confidence in you) will begin to give you installs here and there, and depending on how well you do, you should progress on the complexity of the installs from there. after working at a shop for a while, you can start thinking about opening up your own shop.... but it's not easy, and DO NOT expect a profit for atleast the first few years.

and remember, this industry can be very cut throat, so just because you do good work, that doesnt mean that your shop will succeed... its a very hard business model to make succeed.
look some one who knows what they are talking about.
Im not sure what you mean by you cant make real money. I have a small customer base and can make a weeks pay every day.
yeah it it's pretty easy to match your check when you only make $100 a week.

My names Robert. Just registered on this forum. I have been fascinated with car stereos ever since I first had my system installed. I've been studying electrical at school and in the future, I want to be able to work around audio systems. Went to ITT to see what they had to offer and they said they don't really focus too much on automotive electrical. So my question is where can I find a successful career or a job that pays really well primarily working around audio equipment??Would really appreciate the feedback.

Try to find a reliable amp repair person that gets a day off or takes a vacation. If you can learn electronics repair it pays very well and there are way more broken amps out there than competent shops to repair them.

Get into electrical engineering,or computers...guy was here the other day making over 35 bucks an hr.
depends on if he enjoys it or not... i make more than that at my day job, but the whole reason for having my shop on the side, is because it's what I enjoy.

You can go to UTI and get a good job in the automotive industry. Then just let the people you interact/work with that you do installs/builds as well as whatever you decided to go with at UTI

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.