MECA rule changes 2012/2013

will3
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tennessee
For those that don't already know , there are some rule changes in SPL and P&P for this year and next, for 2012 they have put caps on power in the lower numbered classes AS,S,M 1-2-3 , along with the normal pressure class formula ( 1-1500 watts / 2 - 3000 watts / 3 - 6000 watts ) this will be rated as the highest rms rating avalible for the amp(s)

In 2013 they are doing away with fuses completely and going to clamp meters , using DC current and cone area to figure the pressure class formula

For those that don't already know , there are some rule changes in SPL and P&P for this year and next, for 2012 they have put caps on power in the lower numbered classes AS,S,M 1-2-3 , along with the normal pressure class formula ( 1-1500 watts / 2 - 3000 watts / 3 - 6000 watts ) this will be rated as the highest rms rating avalible for the amp(s)In 2013 they are doing away with fuses completely and going to clamp meters , using DC current and cone area to figure the pressure class formula
so they arent going buy how low you can make your fuses but by cone area and current? and say if you wanted to compete in 1500 and you had a t1500-1bdCP that did 1800, could you still be in that class?

For those that don't already know , there are some rule changes in SPL and P&P for this year and next, for 2012 they have put caps on power in the lower numbered classes AS,S,M 1-2-3 , along with the normal pressure class formula ( 1-1500 watts / 2 - 3000 watts / 3 - 6000 watts ) this will be rated as the highest rms rating avalible for the amp(s)In 2013 they are doing away with fuses completely and going to clamp meters , using DC current and cone area to figure the pressure class formula
14.4 rating iirc per meca site

so they arent going buy how low you can make your fuses but by cone area and current? and say if you wanted to compete in 1500 and you had a t1500-1bdCP that did 1800, could you still be in that class?
you dont have to show a birth sheet

I am still a little fuzzy on how they are rating amplifers in 2012 , but I was under the assumption if 1500 wrms was the highest manufacture rating then that was what was went by, not the actual power output

In 2013 clamping the DC current is just another way of limiting power ( the same way the fusing did) the general idea is to lower the cost to compete in the lower classes.

That *****. I have a 20.1, rated at 1800rms. So im just over the 1500rms range and I wont be able to compete with people running 3k. Sweet. **** you meca
Yeah, I know what your saying , I was running 2 - 40.1's in M3 this year, looks like i am just goin have to keep running the 3k's from last year, good news is it's only for 2012, there won't be a need for amp ratings in 2013

I am still a little fuzzy on how they are rating amplifers in 2012 , but I was under the assumption if 1500 wrms was the highest manufacture rating then that was what was went by, not the actual power outputIn 2013 clamping the DC current is just another way of limiting power ( the same way the fusing did) the general idea is to lower the cost to compete in the lower classes.
This is also crap because the most efficient amps will put out the most power in a perfect world. guess i should run some Brutus amps now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

This is also crap because the most efficient amps will put out the most power in a perfect world. guess i should run some Brutus amps now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
We will have to deal with it. If I were going to go the same route as before I was aware of this rule, I would be pushing a bad angle. I still am not sure exactly what route to take but it made it a little easier to decide by removing a couple of options. I guess I'm just trying to find a bright side lol.

We will have to deal with it. If I were going to go the same route as before I was aware of this rule, I would be pushing a bad angle. I still am not sure exactly what route to take but it made it a little easier to decide by removing a couple of options. I guess I'm just trying to find a bright side lol.
The bright side is that I retired years ago and no longer have to worry about building around rules. Now I just get to enforce them haha.......wait that is still not all that fun..crap....

So wait- theres no fuses involved in 2012? Just what the amp has been rated for from the factory?

And what about manufacturers who only rate the amp at 12.5v? And what about amps that are run below 1 ohm but are only rated down to 1 ohm?

So wait- theres no fuses involved in 2012? Just what the amp has been rated for from the factory?
And what about manufacturers who only rate the amp at 12.5v? And what about amps that are run below 1 ohm but are only rated down to 1 ohm?
Welcome to the world of amp ratings for classes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

will3

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
will3
Tennessee
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date