Few questions about Sundown Audio SA-6.5CS Component's

Participant count
  • Participant list

AwesomeStranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So Im really thinking about purchasing the new 6.5's jacob has on pre-order right now for $155 shipped ($199 after)

The thing is I have no amp to power them, actually have never amp powered any door speakers actually. I currently have 4 Polk Audio DB651 here They are only powered via my headunit, which is here.

Well right now I just have my sub stage good for now, and just want a little better SQ, and better mid bass, which obviously off just HU power these Polk's aren't very loud at all. I'm wondering if I should just purchase a used 4 channel for the polks for beginners to see how I like those then choose if I want to get the sundown 6.5's. Mounting depth is also a concern for me, I'm not sure how much room I have to work in with my doors. I drive a 2004 Mitsubishi lancer OZ rally.

Stay with my polk's, but amp them, or just go ahead and get the Sundown 6.5's and have a learning experience with the crossover and such as I have no idea how that works, but a little google search will help me on that. I've also considered the neo pro 6.5's but that would deff require some custom pods or something in my doors to fit. Ideas?

i would get the sundown 6.5cs comps. and get an amp to power them.
And leave the rear polks in with the sundowns up front? I guess I could always get a 2 channel amp, but it would be smarter to get a 4 channel used and just use every channel right?

This would be very costly, $155 for the mids,crossovers, and tweeters. Then $100-200 or more for the 4 channel amp lol.

And leave the rear polks in with the sundowns up front? I guess I could always get a 2 channel amp, but it would be smarter to get a 4 channel used and just use every channel right?
This would be very costly, $155 for the mids,crossovers, and tweeters. Then $100-200 or more for the 4 channel amp lol.
get rid of the polks all together. running rear speakers is a waste of time. and get a 4 channel for the sundowns, it will leave the option in the future if you ever decide to run active.

Seeing as how your deck only has one set of outputs, to run a two or more amps and still have fade control you would need to either purchase an eq or some type of preamp that has front, rear, and sub outs on it. As far as the need for rear fill well that's really personel choice regardless of what people say (that arguement has been ongoing for years). I like rear fill but that's me, you'd have to make that decision for yourself. If money wasn't an issue I'd go with two sets of the Sundown's, a preamp and a four channel amp. If you're on a budget then keep the Polks that you have, add a preamp and a four channel amp and go from there....

get rid of the polks all together. running rear speakers is a waste of time. and get a 4 channel for the sundowns, it will leave the option in the future if you ever decide to run active.
Actually I hear more from my rear speakers than my front ones. If I fade to the front to balance it out my bass goes away from the sub a little.

Seeing as how your deck only has one set of outputs, to run a two or more amps and still have fade control you would need to either purchase an eq or some type of preamp that has front, rear, and sub outs on it. As far as the need for rear fill well that's really personel choice regardless of what people say (that arguement has been ongoing for years). I like rear fill but that's me, you'd have to make that decision for yourself. If money wasn't an issue I'd go with two sets of the Sundown's, a preamp and a four channel amp. If you're on a budget then keep the Polks that you have, add a preamp and a four channel amp and go from there....
I might keep the polks for now. Will see what happens. If I get the sundowns I'll deff need a amp. Any suggestions? Budget is $200 or so for a good amp, used or new idc. I know $200 isn't much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.