Pressed Paper Cone durability ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

momofx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL, USA
So I found some mids (Precision PM.654) that are in my price range but one thing that bothers me is that they are pressed paper cone... How will these hold up in extreme hot and cold temps (I'm in IL sooooo....)? I do not want something that will be falling apart after a year or two lol.

Also how would a pressed paper cone compare to a polypropylene cone?

Typically it's not just paper like a manila envelope, but has a coating on it to keep it somewhat safe from the elements. Paper cones will dry rot out after 15-20 years if they're in the sun (on dash), but generally they hold up perfectly well. Most cones are made of paper because it's very effective.

Typically it's not just paper like a manila envelope, but has a coating on it to keep it somewhat safe from the elements. Paper cones will dry rot out after 15-20 years if they're in the sun (on dash), but generally they hold up perfectly well. Most cones are made of paper because it's very effective.
^This. Pressed Paper is still widely desired because of the way it sounds. Most of us purchase aftermarket speakers to improve the quality of sound in our vehicles and with a decent install, they should be protected from the elements anyways.

I dont know why I always thought that the more "plastic" type cones were superior but after spending over an hour reading up on this, seems like everyone agrees that paper cones have a more natural sound and are used widely in high end drivers as well. I am actually looking at some midbass/midrange speakers that have pressed paper cones and fit my budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.