Fall Jeep build Shocker Sigs vs. Stetsom

kind of a unique set-up here, i like it very much. Space constraints ftl, they're killing me in the buick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Thanks. Actually it was a complete failure. The amps and batteries under the box is nice. I created a proper false floor on top of them and cut the legs off that box for some last testing before I dumped it.

good look on the full cf cap. keep it goin!
That was some CF/Kevlar hibrid cloth. Looks nice but is an absolute nightmare to work with.... It absolutely doesn't cut until you put the epoxy on it so you're forced to work with the full 50" wide roll which is so easy to get snags and pulls in.

where do i find bright neon green speaker wire??? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Got it on this forum. It was supposed to be #8...more like #10, but it looks different and works.

What are the advantages of using that grade of pine wood, vs like MDF? and is that a split in the wood on the last picture you posted? does that not hurt it either?
It's called "cabinet grade" plywood. 25$ a sheet at Home Depot. It is much lighter than MDF, way easier to work with IMHO, and my rear hatch has a good bit of leaking and MDF tends to swell up and melt with only a few drops of water. Ply is much more resistant. That piece with the big void was some really cheap plywood I used to build a test box before (just had it laying around and needed an odd piece). Actually the box that I built with that crap plywood did 149.9 with a single 15" on 3K. If I kept a box more than a month I'd put some time into filling voids, sanding, and painting, but I go through boxes fast so I don't put too much money into materials and I don't generally waste a bunch of effort on cosmetics.

A small update. Rotated 90 degrees firing towards the driver's side this box does 149.7 @ 38hz. Really optimum for this jeep is porting to the driver's side, but I just don't have the volume to spare to allow proper clearence for a port. I'm considering some more exotic box options for next season.

Something else new. Built up a 4th 12 (I may or may not do up another 10" CF/Kevlar cap for it). Decided to build a big low tuned box just to test.

From prior testing porting up seems to work well so port and subs up. Box is about 10 cube after port, bracing, and woofer displacement and tuned to 28hz.

Initial testing this box is doing 147.9 @ 31hz and 147.6 @ 55hz. No more than 2db down between 28 and 65. Sounds very nice. I actually found myself taking a 45 minute ride on the highway tonight for the sole purpose of listening to a bunch of songs to really put things through the paces. Will post a couple more pics when and if it stops raining here.

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

On a side note. I'm really getting into the sono tube for roundovers and flares. Used 12" for the outer and 10" for the inner. Rabbet out a little bit, some liquid nails and a staple gun and it's solid as you like when you stick everything together. Port is nearly 180 square inches (6" X 28.5")

Update, moved the seat around a bit and metered 148.88 @ 31hz. I'm sure it has a 49 in it with some small tweaks. Sadly the usual stuff (visor and vents) don't seem to make any difference at that frequency at least....

I may try to cram 2 more 12's in here before I scrap the box to see if that'll take me up to 150, but I doubt it considering how much panel flex I have (even with a few layers of Damplifier SPL tiles on the roof and expanding foam between roof and headliner) it just flaps around like it were a rag-top. I think I'd probaby gain more with a solid back window and from what I hear leather seats gain 1-2db over cloth in these Jeeps.

I like all the curved lines you've been using. Since it's winter,you probably have more time to experiment,so I'd like to offer another option to the sonotube,if you don't mind a tighter radius. You local natural gas company probably used PE pipe for it's distribution lines,[we do ,out here] and the 8" medium density pipe has lots of uses beside carrying gas. It's 5/8" thick,cuts easy with a band saw or whatever you have,takes course sheet rock screws without stripping or pre drilling. You could dowel it or screw it in as the inside curve and it would act as the outside corner of the box at the same time. I use it for simple sub tubes for 8" subs,a straight drop in,most of the time and also cut it on angle to make kick panel pods or tilting up door speakers. The 6" size pipe takes an MB Quart [old,German built] as well as my Maximo's,with no mods as well. They may have scraps from jobs that they just throw away. Might be worth asking.

DSCF4313.jpg

DSCF4314.jpg

I like all the curved lines you've been using. Since it's winter,you probably have more time to experiment,so I'd like to offer another option to the sonotube,if you don't mind a tighter radius. You local natural gas company probably used PE pipe for it's distribution lines,[we do ,out here] and the 8" medium density pipe has lots of uses beside carrying gas. It's 5/8" thick,cuts easy with a band saw or whatever you have,takes course sheet rock screws without stripping or pre drilling. You could dowel it or screw it in as the inside curve and it would act as the outside corner of the box at the same time. I use it for simple sub tubes for 8" subs,a straight drop in,most of the time and also cut it on angle to make kick panel pods or tilting up door speakers. The 6" size pipe takes an MB Quart [old,German built] as well as my Maximo's,with no mods as well. They may have scraps from jobs that they just throw away. Might be worth asking.
DSCF4313.jpg

DSCF4314.jpg

I really like that pipe. Need to make a friend at the gas company! Only downside I could see is it seems very thick so flaring via a turkey fryer would be problematic I think. I'm really really getting into flared ports. Dunno if it really helps but it makes me feel better.

In other news, this last box with 4 12's is rotting out in the yard here. Top SPL was 149.8@ 32hz. It absolultely murdered @ 30-40hz but sounded sloppy and lacking something up @ 50-55. Since my peak is @55 and I actually listen to a lot of music that uses that range I can't be without. Runnin no subs at the moment but plan to do a simple box for a pair of 12's to get me by until I come up with something better. Strongly leaning towards 3 12's again tuned 37-38hz range. These shocker 12's play very linear in my jeep at that size/tuning.

I will also be re-building my neo 18's and will be experimenting with those for straight SPL build, and I plan to play around with 12's in a bandpass....they model a disgusting peak in the mid 50hz range in the box that Shocker Mike reccomended for 4th order.

Also I must say getting that 4 12" box in and out was a nightmare since it came up too high to mount and unmount the subs when it was in place subs had to be loaded prior to sliding box in place, or after pulling box out. Let me say that a 2 sheet of wood box + 4 ceramic sig motors is a bit of a nut-buster to move even with a couple big friends....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.