Fall Jeep build Shocker Sigs vs. Stetsom

So would you be able to maybe put up a parts list of everything you needed? I would be very thankfull //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Optimum:

Glue

caulking or bondo for smoothing

staple gun

1/2" rabbeting bit on router

paint (unless you want to represent "sono tube") LOL

Really just quick and dirty you could get away with glue + staples to attatch the tube to the side to be flared and the inside of the port and just smooth with caulking, bondo, or your favorite filler. Best would be to rabbet it flush. Really I like the idea of stapleing the tube down after you glue (close staples like stiches in cloth).

Also for the record, my port piece is only 12" deep + the flare which makes 18". I believe the way this worked out with the roundover going down the bottom I have an effective port length of closer to 30 inches judging by the tuning (missed my mark by about 10 cycles too low. It sounds tremendous so I think I'll keep this configuration for a while. I will probably build up my neo motors to replace these when/if I can sell a couple out.

All subs in this thread are for sale and have parts to build up a 15 also if anyone needs (can get parts for 18" with a week's notice).

Everything looks great Jon! The caps look good and the box came out nice too.
Thanks! I'll be attempting some fuvery large dust-caps and possibly a couple small inverteds tonight. I also have the new prototype Shocker dustcaps that I will be attempting to copy in CF.

With enough glue on the rims of the caps you can't really tell the edges came out a little sloppy.... They are quite functional.

Went out to a show this weekend to get some numbers. My peak is 39hz (way lower than the 54-56 that this jeep really likes). Put up 148.1 and 148.3 (first score I tried 56 and 57 first).

Right after the second run I decided to do the 30 second music format. Round 1 with the driver's side window open I averaged 148.3, second run (should have let batteries charge up a bit) I did 148.1 (came out the gate at 149.1) with driver door open.

I know I could tune higher and get a much more impressive score, but it sounds so nice. It's +/- 3db from 34-70hz. I sort of want to try another box the same design with a shorter port to tune up in the mid to low 40's, but it really does sound nice. A couple veteren competitors there couldn't believe it only metered what it did.

Put up a 149.5 @ 39hz with the last box and the crown amp this past weekend then ditched it up at my farm. I must say I already miss it an plan to try to replicate that response around my space constraints. Doing that number + or -3db from 35-70hz is just amazing.

Anyway, since I needed to do something with this monstrosity of an amp so that I have a back seat I figured I'd go for an "optimal" alignment for these woofers to see what kind of score I can put up before the end of the year (2 shows left up here). After I do some numbers if I can't figure out a way to drop the tuning of this box I'll just ditch it and build another one.

DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02006.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

It was dark by the time I wired it up and mounted all the subs. Back seat folds up again and it is very very loud. A bit peaky compared to the last one, but this should get me a decent number.

Oh also check out the carbon fiber/kevlar full cover dustcap on the center sub. I shal be building more of those when I have some time. Will also take some better pics in the daylight. This design wastes very little space. Would like to have had the subs along the floor, but the bats and big *** amp need to go somewhere.

DSC02008.jpg

It was dark by the time I wired it up and mounted all the subs. Back seat folds up again and it is very very loud. A bit peaky compared to the last one, but this should get me a decent number.

Oh also check out the carbon fiber/kevlar full cover dustcap on the center sub. I shal be building more of those when I have some time. Will also take some better pics in the daylight. This design wastes very little space. Would like to have had the subs along the floor, but the bats and big *** amp need to go somewhere.
Looks good, I can't wait to hear how it does on the meter!

Looks good, I can't wait to hear how it does on the meter!
Thanks, Mike. You'll be the first to know this weekend when I get on the mic.

DSC02011.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02009.jpg

Some pics in daylight. As you can see the amps and batteries fit snugly under the "legs" of this box. I don't think I have room for anything else in here (really wanted to do another 2 or 3 batteries but it isn't in the cards here).

DSC02013.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

And a 15" I put together last night for a friend to test out this weekend. I'm liking the full concave CF dustcap. I still need a little practice with my CF skils, but definitely getting there.

DSC02017.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

This setup put up only 149.1 with a peak at 48hz.....not terribly great sounding either. I rounded over the corner behind the port and extended the port with a bit of a flare (using sono tube). If anyone wants to use sonotube for roundover I'd suggest a thin bead of glue/liquid nails and stitch it in with a staple gun. Works very well.

The 15 pictured above put up a 149.2 @ 42hz in someone else's Honda. A good bit more than the LV5 he replaced with it. Got stinky pretty quick with an Atomic 5K to it but sounded pretty strong. I would say that in retrospect I should have used a couple more spiders (or just 4 stiff ones instead of the 4 soft).

Will update with new scores next weekend. Expect a better number @ 43hz with the port extensions. I also did up another CF/Kevlar dustcap for another 12. I'll take more pics when I have all 3 matching....probably just in time to pull the 12's. Next box will be for my neo 18's. Even in a sub-optimum box they are sure to be louder.

Just a quick update. Adding the length and roundovers to the port brought my peak down to 43hz, made it a fair bit more musical and I am holding at 149.1. This box will be junked as soon as I have nice enough weather to build something new.

kind of a unique set-up here, i like it very much. Space constraints ftl, they're killing me in the buick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.