DD 9500G more info?

I’ve always had very good luck with psi cones and I doubt psi stays in business just due to peoples ignorance, but maybe they do I really don’t know enough to argue that logically. I have a 7cu gross box (about 5.5 net) tuned around 32hz for it that I think it’ll like so we’ll see how it goes once I get the soft parts.
The point is that DD has been building subwoofers for 30 years or so and I suspect they prototype dozens of variations testing softparts for each new version of their products. If there was a better way to build 95's DD would be doing it themselves. I've seen PSI parts and while they're mostly not junk, and I'm sure his assembly is high quality, they're nothing special to justify his premium pricing. I could get all USA made parts for an 18" sub for 100$ so figure he's buying most of his stuff from China what do you reckon his margin is?

Good for him that he has a loyal following and is filling a niche, and I'm sure it'll perform more or less as it should (the motor really is the dominant factor in a sub like that), but do yourself a favor and stick to OEM parts if you ever need to rebuild it again. DD has been a top dog in competitions for a long long time, they do know what they're doing.

While the aluminum coil definitely suffers in power handling, I've found them to be more efficient (less moving mass). Your individual case may vary, but if you're chasing 10ths don't rule out testing AL.
.odor strength is 78% vs the copper. Light but less motor strength.

The point is that DD has been building subwoofers for 30 years or so and I suspect they prototype dozens of variations testing softparts for each new version of their products. If there was a better way to build 95's DD would be doing it themselves. I've seen PSI parts and while they're mostly not junk, and I'm sure his assembly is high quality, they're nothing special to justify his premium pricing. I could get all USA made parts for an 18" sub for 100$ so figure he's buying most of his stuff from China what do you reckon his margin is?

Good for him that he has a loyal following and is filling a niche, and I'm sure it'll perform more or less as it should (the motor really is the dominant factor in a sub like that), but do yourself a favor and stick to OEM parts if you ever need to rebuild it again. DD has been a top dog in competitions for a long long time, they do know what they're doing.

I will do a little more research next time around and consider a DD cone as an option but as I’ve said multiple times I’ve lost so many subs to burnt tinsel leads that it’s a major turn off if I’m not able to get befier ones to improve the durability on the new cone, that said DD might even have an option for that I have no idea. And Before anyone says it, yes if I eliminate all clipping that wouldn’t be an issue but that’s just not really practical for me. I want the most power out of any

Amp I have at any given Time and with that will come at least a little clipping. As the system grows if I end up with an amp that can make enough power really push my sub clean then I’ll have no reason to get into clipping ever but that day has not yet arrived and with the budget of the daily driver the odds of it coming soon are slim unless I get a really good deal.

I will do a little more research next time around and consider a DD cone as an option but as I’ve said multiple times I’ve lost so many subs to burnt tinsel leads that it’s a major turn off if I’m not able to get befier ones to improve the durability on the new cone, that said DD might even have an option for that I have no idea. And Before anyone says it, yes if I eliminate all clipping that wouldn’t be an issue but that’s just not really practical for me. I want the most power out of anyAmp I have at any given Time and with that will come at least a little clipping. As the system grows if I end up with an amp that can make enough power really push my sub clean then I’ll have no reason to get into clipping ever but that day has not yet arrived and with the budget of the daily driver the odds of it coming soon are slim unless I get a really good deal.
Man this thread is still going?

If you just got a bigger amp you wouldn’t have to clip them to death to get where you want to be.

Honest question tho, how many recones have you gotten for all the subs you’ve ran with that amp? Also what amp are you using?

yup..all that $ wasted on subs because he clips, could have gotten a more powerful amp. But yet has $$ for recones......................so he can continue clipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

yup..all that $ wasted on subs because he clips, could have gotten a more powerful amp. But yet has $$ for recones......................so he can continue clipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
This was the exact point I was getting to!

I still wanna see what he says tho so we can see what amp he’s actually running

.odor strength is 78% vs the copper. Light but less motor strength.
Throw all that out the window and TEST! You might be surprised. If I weren't mostly playing music I would be using Aluminum. In the Shocker motors aluminum coils gain .8 to 1.5dB.

I will do a little more research next time around and consider a DD cone as an option but as I’ve said multiple times I’ve lost so many subs to burnt tinsel leads that it’s a major turn off if I’m not able to get befier ones to improve the durability on the new cone, that said DD might even have an option for that I have no idea. And Before anyone says it, yes if I eliminate all clipping that wouldn’t be an issue but that’s just not really practical for me. I want the most power out of anyAmp I have at any given Time and with that will come at least a little clipping. As the system grows if I end up with an amp that can make enough power really push my sub clean then I’ll have no reason to get into clipping ever but that day has not yet arrived and with the budget of the daily driver the odds of it coming soon are slim unless I get a really good deal.
Yikes. You absolutely should NOT be burning up tinsel leads in those. That said, if you do, you may well be able to just replace them... not sure what DD uses for glue but if you're creative you can usually replace that and keep running the sub.

Quit clipping and you won't have that problem.
Man I almost have to quote myself for this one, it’s like I could tell the future... previous post said “and before anyone says it YES I understand if I eliminate all clipping it wouldn’t be an issue but it’s not practical for me”

Man this thread is still going?
If you just got a bigger amp you wouldn’t have to clip them to death to get where you want to be.

Honest question tho, how many recones have you gotten for all the subs you’ve ran with that amp? Also what amp are you using?
Many different amps many different subs. A few off the top of my head. A Fi Q 18 on an hfi2500d, a stock TC 4hp 15 on a shark 2500, and my buddy started my spiders on fire before on my 4HP later on with a psi cone on a bc5500 buh he was being an idiot so that doesn’t really count I guess. Many of my friends have had the same problem with various setups. 2 re *** 15s got tinsels fried by an APMI 2000. If I really sat and thought about it I could probably list more but it’s more of a general issue I’ve always found with single small leads vs double or triple leads. I have never blown psi triple leads yet. I normally run 2 PSI coned TC 4HP 18s now In my wall car on 1 BC5500 @ 0.25 demoing all day long sometimes (just pausing every few demos depending on how hot outside it is to let subs cool). That setup has been super reliable and does 154.4 over and over vented at 31hz deep into clipping.

Throw all that out the window and TEST! You might be surprised. If I weren't mostly playing music I would be using Aluminum. In the Shocker motors aluminum coils gain .8 to 1.5dB.

Yikes. You absolutely should NOT be burning up tinsel leads in those. That said, if you do, you may well be able to just replace them... not sure what DD uses for glue but if you're creative you can usually replace that and keep running the sub.
The biggest issue I’ve found with this is when the leads are woven in between spiders (as many of them are) they are very difficult to fix and often burn various sized holes in the spiders...

Man I almost have to quote myself for this one, it’s like I could tell the future... previous post said “and before anyone says it YES I understand if I eliminate all clipping it wouldn’t be an issue but it’s not practical for me”
Then your chasing your tail pretty much...going back to square one. Pretty much sums it up...and continue the cycle until you actually learn to quit clipping until you buy a more powerful amp. And as I already stated before....your $$ that's being wasted on burned coiled/tinsel lead subs, not mine.

Then your chasing your tail pretty much...going back to square one. Pretty much sums it up...and continue the cycle until you actually learn to quit clipping until you buy a more powerful amp. And as I already stated before....your $$ that's being wasted on burned coiled/tinsel lead subs, not mine.
Since I have started ordering PSI soft parts I’ve had no issues with damaging any equipment from clipping, that is my main point, that with a sub that’s built propperly it’ll take that type of abuse very well. And that’s what started all of this, the argument the PSI is inferior in pretty much every way to DD which from my experience at least is not true at all. Overbuilt PSI coned subs are (for the most part) the only subs I have never had any sort of tinsel lead issues with. So yeah from time to time I blow a stock cone but once it’s reconed with PSI parts (at least so far) it’s always been the last cone the woofer has needed as long as I owned it. And I’ve been very saticefied with those results which is the reason I buy soft parts from PSI and the reason (at least from all OEM parts I’ve seen) why I tend to like them better.

I have never burned up tinsel leads... I have tried coils, but never had a tinsel lead failure other than it breaking at the terminal.

I have a 9518g and I love this sub. Been great so far

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.