DD 9500G more info?

My 9518 was reconed with a DD cone last and it had TINY tinsel leads that were in between two fairly soft spiders.... I didn’t like that cone at all. I need triple tinsel leads because I clip the **** out of every sub I own and I prefer them exposed so they are able to cool better. Not sure what recone you speak of but the one that was installed in the sub was a stock replacement from DD. Not to mention base price on the PSI recone is $170 I added extras to it plus shipping.

My 9518 was reconed with a DD cone last and it had TINY tinsel leads that were in between two fairly soft spiders.... I didn’t like that cone at all. I need triple tinsel leads because I clip the **** out of every sub I own and I prefer them exposed so they are able to cool better.
You shouldn't be clipping at all....DD subs or not. Set gain on amp properly/accordingly with HU voltage and you should be good.

You shouldn't be clipping at all....DD subs or not. Set gain on amp properly/accordingly with HU voltage and you should be good.
I may have exaggerated slightly but I do clip enough to fry tinsels if they aren’t beefy. Point is I’d rather just have the sub over built so I can clip it a little without worrying about cooking my tinsels

I may have exaggerated slightly but I do clip enough to fry tinsels if they aren’t beefy. Point is I’d rather just have the sub over built so I can clip it a little without worrying about cooking my tinsels
You don't understand clipping at all....google it and read about it. Dirty signal to subs=clipping=build up heat=death to sub/speaker. Doesn't matter if the tinsel leads are beefy or not. Clipping is clipping.

You don't wanna worry about destroying up your sub, then as I already stated, set gain(s) properly and you won't have to worry about that problem/issue.

I do understand what clipping is my friend. But having the extra protection of multiple tinsel leads allows you to push the volume a little bit more without burning things up right away. The argument I’m trying to make is not that clipping is good it is that having extra beefy components is just safer no matter what clipping or not. But tinsel leads are especially important with any amount of clipping. I’m not sitting there just burying my subs into clipping. Just a touch into clipping sometimes because it is a way to push equipment a little further than it would otherwise be able to go. Is it stressful on subs and electrical? Yes. But that is why we over build woofers to take the abuse if I feel like abusing it. The point is it’s just better to have an overbuilt sub than an under built one. And psi offers options that make the sub a lot more durable than a stock recone.

I do understand what clipping is my friend. But having the extra protection of multiple tinsel leads allows you to push the volume a little bit more without burning things up right away. The argument I’m trying to make is not that clipping is good it is that having extra beefy components is just safer no matter what clipping or not. But tinsel leads are especially important with any amount of clipping. I’m not sitting there just burying my subs into clipping. Just a touch into clipping sometimes because it is a way to push equipment a little further than it would otherwise be able to go. Is it stressful on subs and electrical? Yes. But that is why we over build woofers to take the abuse if I feel like abusing it. The point is it’s just better to have an overbuilt sub than an under built one. And psi offers options that make the sub a lot more durable than a stock recone.
lmao wut?! Those tinsel leads are connected from voicecoil to the terminal. Sometimes woven into the spiders. Nowhere near meant for clipping purposes.

Most non mainstream brands are well built to extended specifications or exceeded them. Imo, your just wasting $$ on that so called "extra protection", so you don't overclip them. Such a sad way to go about things really...but hey, it's your $$ not mine.

lmao wut?! Those tinsel leads are connected from voicecoil to the terminal. Sometimes woven into the spiders. Nowhere near meant for clipping purposes.
Most non mainstream brands are well built to extended specifications or exceeded them. Imo, your just wasting $$ on that so called "extra protection", so you don't overclip them. Such a sad way to go about things really...but hey, it's your $$ not mine.

Obviously tinsel leads are not “meant for clipping purposes” that is not what I said. I simply said that having larger/multiple exposed tinsel leads makes it more difficult for them to heat up from clipping if clipping occurs. As I said base price is exactly the same for the two recones if the DD cone is in fact $170 so of course I’ll prefer what is (in my opinion) the more beefy of the two cones for rouughly the same price. I like to be able to choose which components go into my recone. Primarily spiders and tinsels and as far as I’m aware that isn’t really an option with an oe recone. By Always going through the original manufacturer You will never be better than stock. There is never even a chance that way. I like to think of a recone as an opertunity for improvement and customization to better suit the woofer for the exact application.

Obviously tinsel leads are not “meant for clipping purposes” that is not what I said. I simply said that having larger/multiple exposed tinsel leads makes it more difficult for them to heat up from clipping if clipping occurs. As I said base price is exactly the same for the two recones if the DD cone is in fact $170 so of course I’ll prefer what is (in my opinion) the more beefy of the two cones for rouughly the same price. I like to be able to choose which components go into my recone. Primarily spiders and tinsels and as far as I’m aware that isn’t really an option with an oe recone. By Always going through the original manufacturer You will never be better than stock. There is never even a chance that way. I like to think of a recone as an opertunity for improvement and customization to better suit the woofer for the exact application.
Tinsel leads aren't made for clipping....you stated "But tinsel leads are especially important with any amount of clipping". That is NOT what the tinsel lead is for.

More difficult to heat up?? Oh my.....there's never a straighforword answer for you....as I said, clipping is clipping. Weather you have 5 tinsel leads or 1.....still will heat up because you choose to clip and since you admitted to liking to clip, you must think that sub your getting built should be bulletproof. Not the case man. IF your gain is set properly, you won't have clipping issues. Also sounds like you like to drive your amp/subs hard....which means you simply need more power. End thread.

Tinsel leads aren't made for clipping....you stated "But tinsel leads are especially important with any amount of clipping". That is NOT what the tinsel lead is for.
More difficult to heat up?? Oh my.....there's never a straighforword answer for you....as I said, clipping is clipping. Weather you have 5 tinsel leads or 1.....still will heat up because you choose to clip and since you admitted to liking to clip, you must think that sub your getting built should be bulletproof. Not the case man. IF your gain is set properly, you won't have clipping issues. Also sounds like you like to drive your amp/subs hard....which means you simply need more power. End thread.
I meant what tinsel leads you have are especially important with Any amount of clipping, my bad for the confusion. You’re correct clipping will always cause heat. Hence why multiple leads disperse the heat more effectively and make the sub more durable against clipping. You can play a sub with more tinsel leads longer at clipping without just toasting the leads. I’m NOT saying clipping is ideal by Any means just a way to squeeze a few more Watts out of a smaller amp IF done responsibly and in moderation. This thread has gotten so far away from its original purpose it’s not even funny.

I meant what tinsel leads you have are especially important with Any amount of clipping, my bad for the confusion. You’re correct clipping will always cause heat. Hence why multiple leads disperse the heat more effectively and make the sub more durable against clipping. You can play a sub with more tinsel leads longer at clipping without just toasting the leads. I’m NOT saying clipping is ideal by Any means just a way to squeeze a few more Watts out of a smaller amp IF done responsibly and in moderation. This thread has gotten so far away from its original purpose it’s not even funny.
This thread wouldn't have made it thus far hadn't you admitted you like to clip all your subs. there's just no winning against you. Too arguementative.

Where are you getting your info thinking 16 tinsel leads is better than 1 or two? And yes I'm over exaggerating....because I'm sure you'll make it happen.

Dumb dumb clips the **** out of every sub he’s owned...
Oh ok
I’m sorry that me clipping my own equipment reliably offends you? My cavalier meters 154.4 @ 31hz consistently deep into clipping. My woofers get stinky after a few songs full tilt, I let them cool down then go at it again. I cannot provide an exact number but the car is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter clean and doesn’t seem to sound any noticeable amount better.

This thread wouldn't have made it thus far hadn't you admitted you like to clip all your subs. there's just no winning against you. Too arguementative.
Where are you getting your info thinking 16 tinsel leads is better than 1 or two? And yes I'm over exaggerating....because I'm sure you'll make it happen.
Because I’ve owned many stock coned subs with little tiny leads and fried many of them with the coils perfectly intact. Since I’ve had woofers reconed with triple leads I’ve never ever had that issue again. Just my experience. It may seem like it but I’m really not here just to argue with everyone we all have better things to do just seems like everyone here immediately jumps to assuming I’m a complete idiot n00b just because I have a tendency to clip woofers for better hair tricks and higher numbers. As long as you aren’t recklessly frying woofers left and right I don’t see why it’s such a big issue? Just know to stop if they start to stink and you’re pretty safe ....

I’m sorry that me clipping my own equipment reliably offends you? My cavalier meters 154.4 @ 31hz consistently deep into clipping. My woofers get stinky after a few songs full tilt, I let them cool down then go at it again. I cannot provide an exact number but the car is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter clean and doesn’t seem to sound any noticeable amount better.
Then you need a bigger amp if it’s quieter with clean power. I’ve never blown a sub and I always over power them with CLEAN power

This.

I think your just trolling...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.