Crossover with Factory Amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Q-Dub23

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm installing Focal KX3s (3 ways) replacing the factory 3 ways. My factory amp has separate outputs for the tweeter, mid and woofer. The installer is telling me that I shouldnt use the crossovers that came with the speakers but the Focal manual seems to incidcate otherwise. Any thoughts as to whether I should use the crossover? Many thanks!

Well, not knowing what the crossover points are in the system is going to be problem. You can't assume that they are the frequencies the Focal set is designed for. Chances are, they will work, but they not be optimal, not normally the way one goes about adding expensive 3-way expensive drivers like those Focal units. You do not use the passive crossovers supplied with the Focal components if the amplifier does the crossover work already. If you could find out what the crossover is for all three OEM leads, that's where I would start.

Or consider getting a line out converter and installing a 6 channel aftermarket amplifier, like this:

LOC:

And amp

or

Or this amp which doesn't need the LOC:

Last edited:
Well, not knowing what the crossover points are in the system is going to be problem. You can't assume that they are the frequencies the Focal set is designed for. Chances are, they will work, but they not be optimal, not normally the way one goes about adding expensive 3-way expensive drivers like those Focal units. You do not use the passive crossovers supplied with the Focal components if the amplifier does the crossover work already. If you could find out what the crossover is for all three OEM leads, that's where I would start.

Or consider getting a line out converter and installing a 6 channel aftermarket amplifier, like this:

LOC:

And amp

or

Or this amp which doesn't need the LOC:

Thank you! That makes sense. I tried to keep my factory amp (Meridian 22 channel 1,300W) but will try one of these. Thanks again.

Range Rover? What is it about the current set up that you don't like? I did some reading, the Focals might work fine. I would just try and find out what the factory settings are, the crossover points and the impedance of the factory speakers, might be fine after all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...