Converting a ported box to sealed, is my builder right?

Your installer doesnt know what he is talking about. Based on that chances are his ported enclosure also wasnt built right and thats why you didnt like it. You can get tight, snappy bass from a ported enclosure if its done right.
this happens for every one of my builds that is ported. when built right for the car and the sub then the listener should really be able to enjoy the sound being re-produced.

he is going to correct the box, said the sub puts out to much for the size screws he used.
okay! RED FLAG! if he said this he is a effin moron! go ahead and link him this thread! i would love to have a friendly build off! and OP if you want a nice sealed enclosure i can make you one .

Thats a 400 watt sub. Please dont go back to him unless you are only going to get your money back
a cardboard bx with tape would probably hold stronger el oh el! this reminds me of vitveets box's... pieces just separating from each other...

Well actually turns out he just forgot to put the row across the top of the front of the wedge, that was the only spot leaking. He just missed them, the rest of the box was done correctly and is fine. All in all the box was just a bit to big and the port was tuned in the upper 20's when i wanted 35. Hes putting that row of screws in and sealing the inside up. Tuning the port higher for me no charge. If it still not to my liking ill get you to build me one donH lol Hes also reducing the air space to JBL recommendation for ported enclosures

Also it pretty underrated, I have it hook up a 1ohm to a audiopipe APSM-1300 with gain a bit past half. Really wants about 550-600watts

Ugh ... so much misinformation in this thread its not even funny.

First of all: When he said a bigger sealed box has better SQ, he is partially right. The larger a sealed box is, the flatter the response curve of the driver. A smaller box will create a nice big peak in the output, but supress lower frequencies. This means the larger box will generally have better "SQ" because there won't be a nasty peak. Its all about tuning.

You can get whatever output style you want from a ported box if designed correctly. Again, its all about tuning.

case not closed, I run more volume in sealed it depends on the situation. I have 2 12's in 7ft sealed each in my buddies house.
...Because comparing a HT system to a car system is completely relevant. I have had a single 12" in a 5cf sealed box running on 600w in a car, and it would shake the hell out of everything at 20hz. What a wonderful thing tuning is, and understanding a driver's capabilities.

DC makes some good stuff.

OP: I thought you were going for the Sundown SA10? I have the APSM running an SA10 in a sealed and another one in a ported. Both sound awesome and are tight, the ported gets louder though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.