4th order band pass or ported?

Participant count
  • Participant list
First box? Band pass boxes are designed for a very narrow band of frequencies and are MUCH more difficult to design and build, In your case, I would not entertain the bandpass option whatsoever - read:

"In general, band-pass subwoofers are highly efficient and reproduce deep low frequencies within a limited bandwidth. While a great deal of care is required in the fine-tuning of such designs, the resulting acoustic level increase can be up to 8 dB. Larger bandpass enclosures will have a smoother and deeper frequency response than a smaller bandpass enclosure but not as smooth as sealed or ported enclosures. They can be much larger than the sealed/ported enclosures if you are trying to pass a wide band of low frequencies

What you gain in efficiency is lost in bandwidth. According to what I found on that sub, it's a good candidate but I would not venture down that path unless you have a professional design the box. Chances are the box is going to be quite large too. possibly 5 to 6 cubic feet.

As for the construction of a ported (bass reflex) enclosure, in your trunk, whichever way you do it, the port works best (acoustically couples) with the subs when they are on the same baffle, regardless of whether they are up, down or turned around.

As for the Camry, if you remove the rear deck speakers and cut a bit of the sheet metal out, aim the subs and the ports upward would be my preference (make a false cover out of 1.4" hardboard with acoustically transparent material) to covedr the package tray. Use the rear doors for fill instead. I have to admit, not a ton of experience with trunks - I buy hatchbacks for that reason!

;)

Last edited:
The rear seat folds down. Big opening. Would that be best to do? Aim them forward?
Try them both directions. Facing subs rear port rear and subs forward port forward. just make sure you have enough speaker wire from the amp to play with them. I personally like Subs rear port rear in trunk space, even with seats down

you may like them facing forward rather than Rear faced. Its all about how you like and enjoy by your ear/listening not others. try Both directions to see what suites you best and the music you listen too. everyone is different and has a different perspective/ needs and wants

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...