Converting a ported box to sealed, is my builder right?

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
Had a local guy build me a ported enclosure for my JBL P1022. Enclosure turned out nice but i really think i just prefer the sound of a sealed enclosure. I really like extremely high EQ, tight, fast, accurate bass. I lessen to alot of super nasty dupstep, so tons of differnt odd baselines. I asked him to pull it apart and seal it up. He said no problem but that we shouldnt really reduce the air space much. Apparently the bigger the sealed box, the better the SQ. Now hes been doing this a long time and deff knows his ****, but is this entirely true? Or would my speaker sound better with manufacture specified air space.

Your installer doesnt know what he is talking about. Based on that chances are his ported enclosure also wasnt built right and thats why you didnt like it. You can get tight, snappy bass from a ported enclosure if its done right.

well when it was originally built it was very loud and accurate, now its basically blowing apart >.> So u think i should just seal up everything put the port or change it to sealed?

Also, does anyone know a builder near waco, tx?

well when it was originally built it was very loud and accurate, now its basically blowing apart >.> So u think i should just seal up everything put the port or change it to sealed?

Also, does anyone know a builder near waco, tx?
So the guy that "knows what he is doing" built you a box thats falling apart?

what do you mean, 'blowing apart'? is the box physically damaged?

to the original question, as someone already mentioned, too large of a box will reduce mechanical excursion power handling, similar to an infinite baffle configuration, at its extreme. not all subs will work well in oversized sealed enclosures.

well i mean im starting to get leakage along some of some edges, also the port turned out a lower then intended. Somthing about the program he uses isnt always spot on. Hes going to take it and redo all the edges back together, and seal the inside edges. Also tune my port a bit higher.

lol okay whatever the builder i have *****, please dont post just to flame. Im just trying to get a 2nd opinion.
I think the point is if the guy didn't do it right the first time certainly don't pay him to do anything else. In fact IMO he should make the box right if you paid him to do it.

Without info on the sub's parameters and volume of the box nobody can predict how it will perform in that space sealed.

Just pm one of the box builders here.. they can set you up with everything you need to build it right... its not hard to put a box together. Most big box lumber/hardware shops will cut the wood to size for you to.. its like a puzzle then fit piece 1 to piece 2 etc... simple

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.