Choosing the better Sound Deadner, Help?

WorldsLoudestCreature

CarAudio.com Recruit
Georgia
I'm looking at getting 100 sheets of either one if these to do my entire truck or most of it anyways. Trying to reduce rattling and maybe sealing my car up better so temperatures from outside don't leak in our out. Which would be better? All in all? Thanks.

- Sky High 3 in 1 240 mil
- GP STFU 250 mil

Sound deadener won't do much for temperature. They make specific foam products for that which you would lay on top of your sound deadener.

I'm a Second Skin guy myself but that's just my preference
You might be off with how much you need. 100 sheets seems like a lot but I'm not sure how big your truck is.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a calculator for square footage .
https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/damplifier-pro
One tip I can give you is those little wooden rollers ****. Go to a hardware store and get a wallpaper roller

I also use secondskin. Goes on sale often, or email them and ask nicely for a discount code. Resonix is also well regarded, but Ive never used it.

For best results (imo): I recommend applying some Ampere Vibraflex on all flimsy parts like the roof, doors, fenders/quarter panels and under the seats. Then you put a layer of butyl over it and the rest of your vehicle.

Damplifier smells for a while but is the most effective butyl I've used.

Here you go. The original thread

The updated thread

TLDR. SDS was the best deadener. They are no longer in business. IIRC Resonix CLD is now the recommended deadener. The owner is on here.

Nobody is telling me which one is better that I posted, Its between the SkyHigh 3 in 1 240mil or the GP STFU 250 mil

Sky High 3 in 1 240MIL

GP STFU V2 250MIL

Nobody is telling me which one is better that I posted, Its between the SkyHigh 3 in 1 240mil or the GP STFU 250 mil

Sky High 3 in 1 240MIL

GP STFU V2 250MIL

@SkizeR

Should be the person to answer that question for you.

Don't do your entire car and don't do 100 sheets (waste of money). Full coverage comes from the myth that deadener blocks sound which is doesn't. It helps prevent the panels from vibrating (reasonance) but it doesn't actually block noise. Most people think "oh if I do full coverage i'll block the noise from coming it" when it doesn't work like that. You need something like MLV

For most high quality deadenders 25-40% coverage is more than enough. You eventually get to the point of diminishing returns. Think of it like a drum cymbal, if I apply 25% coverage to the cymbal and then hit it with the drum stick the cymbal will hardly make any noise. Me adding 75% more coverage to that same cymbal might make it 5% quitier if even that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.