Checked gain with an O-scope, sub is still smelling

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Arizona
This one is frustrating. To start off, my setup is a pioneer 1200w amp with two comp c 12" subs in a ported box. my gain is set at 9.10v and my lpf at 80hz.

I bought an o-scope because tuning gain by ear is next to impossible. Did everything you should, disconnected my subs, played a 40hz tone at 0db, and raised my gain right until there was no clipping on the sine wave.

Was super happy with the results, was now confident that I wasn't clipping my system but getting max performance out of my subs.

Recently changed my lpf from 60hz to 80hz to get better response on metal songs, and thats when it started smelling a little again. Nothing compared to when I used to set my gain by ear and was obviously cooking my voice coils, but its still there. Faintly

Anyone have any ideas on what else may be heating my voice coils? My amp does not have a sub sonic filter, and it is a ported box, can this heat my coils?

high frequencies produce more heat, also you might be clipping higher up. check 80 hz with the oscope and see what you find.

So I found clipping st 50hz, but I didn't know that this mattered, everywhere It seems tuning to a 40hz tone is standard. Why is that? Do I need to tune every frequency that will be used on my amp?

I usually go into my eq on my radio and tune all the bands separately. For example I have a 16 band eq and have control over 20, 50, and 80 hz (I dont play anything over 80hz, you should adjust tune every frequency you use given you have the ability to do so with your headunits eq). I use a tone generator to produce the different tones I have control over. In my specific example I start with 50 and set the gain like normal then I switch over to the headunits eq to adjust the levels of 20 and 80. I go through all 3 again after making adjustments and make further adjustments as needed with the headunit only. 40 is a general number but in reality the amp will output differently at different frequencies. Did that make sense?

I usually go into my eq on my radio and tune all the bands separately. For example I have a 16 band eq and have control over 20, 50, and 80 hz (I dont play anything over 80hz, you should adjust tune every frequency you use given you have the ability to do so with your headunits eq). I use a tone generator to produce the different tones I have control over. In my specific example I start with 50 and set the gain like normal then I switch over to the headunits eq to adjust the levels of 20 and 80. I go through all 3 again after making adjustments and make further adjustments as needed with the headunit only. 40 is a general number but in reality the amp will output differently at different frequencies. Did that make sense?

Makes sense, but unfortunately I have a factory deck, only eq controls i have are bass and treble. When my gain is tuned to stop that 50hz clipping, I can barley even hear the subs

You should really learn how to tune by ear. Also, with a ported box, the further away from tuning frequency you go, typically the harder it is on your system overall. So you can run into more clipping the further away from box tuning you go, in general.

you gotta send the subs the right amount of power, not just an unclipped signal

if those subs can only handle 300 watts per sub, but youre sending them 600 per sub, youre gonna ruin them

set your gain right, see link below. note, the test tones are at the very bottom...

you gotta send the subs the right amount of power, not just an unclipped signal

if those subs can only handle 300 watts per sub, but youre sending them 600 per sub, youre gonna ruin them

set your gain right, see link below. note, the test tones are at the very bottom...

My amp is 1200w, and both subs are rated at 600w, plus both subs will never hit peak 600w with what I'm putting them through. My gain is set even below what my peak performance is,11v is what I'm peaking around, my gain is set at 9

highly recommend it. Idk if sa's are worth it anymore though at 300. anyone had v2's? also consider one nice 15 on like 1500w. might get better sq that way. that's my opinion though. im still newish
I'm looking at 2 E 12 v3s from them, I wish I could afford two sa right now

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.