Cheapest way to reach 160db?

Lol never happen on music. Got a buddy wanting to do a build with good equipment 4 ethos 18s 2 taramp 8ks in a 4th order

Wanted to do it on 5k budget all new equipment. Had to break it down for him. Had no clue what it took on electrical and the amount of building material for a good box.

So he said well guess it's 10k budget now.

My goal is 60s and got 20kish budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is old and I haven't read all of the comments but the amount of bull s*** responses to your question is concerning. I dont think anyone on this site knows what it takes to hit 160 thats why you got only bull responses. I haven't personally hit 160 although I have hit 155 and I'm currently in the process of upgrading my build and am expecting to hit over 160. The old build was 2 zv5 18s on an sfb 8k. The new build is everything doubled, 4 18s 2 sfb 8ks. All said were $18,000 invested and hundreds of hours of work. There's a chance we won't even hit 160 because of losses were not anticipating right now.

You already acknowledge the thread is 4 years old, why do you think the OP still needs advice on this possible setup?
I dont think the OP needs help with his question. I commented more so to address the lack of help/knowledge/encouragement on this site. I see new guys asking normal questions get ripped to shreads. The car audio community is dying because of this. The OP had a silly question all things considered but instead of someone explaining the science behind how spl works, what's involved, how to start, etc., half the comments were people saying LOL, another 40% people fighting about what equipment would be best, and the final 10% were good responses that got drowned out by the other 90%.
I'm not an expert I've never claimed to be one, and Ive been helped by people on this site. The only reason I didnt get fed to the wolves is because I have some knowledge and was not a complete idiot.
Last thing I want to address is audioholic. I guess you deleted your original comment/reply to me but I will reply to you anyway. I did go back and read every comment and wasn't anymore impressed. There are a few people who responded who showed the willingness to help and the knowledge but were far out numbered. As for your comment on me wanting to hit 160, I understand that talk is cheap and most of the time people never do what they say. That being said, most of those people don't have a truck with $6000 in eletrical, a gapimg hole cut in the cab, 2 subs on hand with another 2 in the mail, a stack of ready pieces that just need to be assembled, you get the idea. Im not talking about a build thats in my mind, Im talking about a build thats happening right now and will be finished by Sunday. Only reason I found this thread was because I was looking to see if anyone had done anything similar.
This comment is way too long now and I'm sure nobody will give a ****.
Bottom line is that we need to support new people in the car audio scene if we want it to continue to be a thing and when someone asks a serious question and the first comment they get is "pull my finger" thats bull ****

I dont think the OP needs help with his question. I commented more so to address the lack of help/knowledge/encouragement on this site. I see new guys asking normal questions get ripped to shreads. The car audio community is dying because of this. The OP had a silly question all things considered but instead of someone explaining the science behind how spl works, what's involved, how to start, etc., half the comments were people saying LOL, another 40% people fighting about what equipment would be best, and the final 10% were good responses that got drowned out by the other 90%.
I'm not an expert I've never claimed to be one, and Ive been helped by people on this site. The only reason I didnt get fed to the wolves is because I have some knowledge and was not a complete idiot.
Last thing I want to address is audioholic. I guess you deleted your original comment/reply to me but I will reply to you anyway. I did go back and read every comment and wasn't anymore impressed. There are a few people who responded who showed the willingness to help and the knowledge but were far out numbered. As for your comment on me wanting to hit 160, I understand that talk is cheap and most of the time people never do what they say. That being said, most of those people don't have a truck with $6000 in eletrical, a gapimg hole cut in the cab, 2 subs on hand with another 2 in the mail, a stack of ready pieces that just need to be assembled, you get the idea. Im not talking about a build thats in my mind, Im talking about a build thats happening right now and will be finished by Sunday. Only reason I found this thread was because I was looking to see if anyone had done anything similar.
Bottom line is that we need to support new people in the car audio scene if we want it to continue to be a thing and when someone asks a serious question and the first comment they get is "pull my finger" thats bull ****
If you are so upset over the responses from a 4 year old thread, reviving it to the front page for a whole new group of people to read is probably a bad idea.

Good luck with your new setup.

the question was a complete oxymoron to begin with. there is no cheap way of getting a 160 db unless you have a crx with a burp box where you dont even need to reinforce the car but you'll still need several grand for electricals and equipment.

In an SUV you would have to start looking at saying good by to the ride and start rhino lining, fiber glass resing and stripper poling the whole interior with several inches thick SPL windshields just to prep for a 160 db sealed on the dash, no outlaw **** here.

You can do port wars and get a 160 db there

I agree the title was poorly worded, but what if he titled it "cost to reach 160" or "least expensive way to reach 160"? A lot of respondents got hung up on the word "cheap" and can't comprehend that the superlative doesn't mean the root. The pull my finger response was a great example of how some people rack up their post count without actually contributing anything useful. In my opinion, the OP lost all credibility when he scoffed at $5k in amps.

I think the best advice given was to go to some events, listen to 160 vehicles, and talk to the owners about how much time and money they've spent to get there. People love to talk about themselves and their stuff. I'm glad this thread got drug up, because the serious responses were informative. I'd like to see more threads about how much people have spent for their numbers.

I'd like to see more threads about how much people have spent for their numbers.
So start a thread asking.

This thread was pre lithium and sub 500$ 8k amps. Still though the point made early stands, if you have to ask you're not anywhere close to 160 and any way you slice it, it still isn't going to be "cheap" by any measure. I'd say 8 grand + an SPL friendly vehicle.

I don't like the pull my finger responses much either, but when a question is poorly phrased it becomes an exercise in pulling teeth. I don't mind asking for clarifying details once, but if they give a manufacturer response where they only answer one detail then it's their fault the advice s ucks from then on.

I still think a train horn is the best way to go (y)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.