Cheapest way to reach 160db?

Build the shell of the enclosure as big as you can. Then baffle it and brace it. Load the woofer and run a sweep and see what your peak is... Then tune your wall to your peak... Make sure you seal it off around the enclosure so it's a true wall. Play around with port size. Most spl builds use huge ports.
Big mono amp $2000

Woofers pick up some used zv3 18s for like $700 for both if u can

HO alt $500

Three g31 batts $600-700

Wire and lugs etc $200

Cheap 4 Ch amp $150

Cheaper speakers so u can hear the music $150

Head unit $200

Then all the wood and glue and screws etc... $500+

So u can see it adds up quick!!!! Almost none of us just start out and shoot for 160db out the gate... We started with hand me down boss audio and kicker and sold and traded and worked our way up to big boy systems.
Sounds like a 155 build at best.

Interesting. The price is right but how is the quality? I've heard mixed reviews about Power Acoustics other products.
garbage output. its been tested. dont even bother. its a 1900 watt current hogging inefficient amp. 2500 at half ohm but at that point, you are pulling the amount of a current a 4k amp pulls. So soo much amperage and electrical power go to waste instead of translating to actual power. Complete garbage.

Sounds like a 155 build at best.
Can Be a B pillar wall 160 if you buy the right amp. With that much money i can get a lot of good sh*t for a fraction of the price. I literally got 6 group 31 C&D batts for 120 and all of them were good. There's crackhead deals everywhere, you just gotta keep an eye open. 2000 dollars in amps, you can literally get two vital power 7ks or 4 banda 7ks or a high voltage taramps 50k used. I'd actually spend a bit more on the alt seeing as most 370 amp alts cost in the 700-800s.

"8 4500s" There is no way I'm feeding that many watts or spending 5k on amps. Is there a more efficient way?Ive been looking at those subs for a while and they are pretty sweet.
Typically it takes about 20-30k rms on 6 drivers to touch 160. If you just want to build a burp box for a single 18 and feed it 10k you can get there but it wont be musical. Hitting 160 on a setup that you can listen to Metallica on is not easy or cheap feat. Im gonna drop close to 8 grand walling off my Focus hatch just to do hairtricks at mid 50s on 2 18s.

I'm trying the same thing. My plan is to wait until someone has a 160db vehicle for sale that is depressed and hard up for money. Then offer him 3k
So lowballing the person. That's great. Hope he laughs at you or ignores you.

"8 4500s" There is no way I'm feeding that many watts or spending 5k on amps. Is there a more efficient way?Ive been looking at those subs for a while and they are pretty sweet.
You have no clue or business being in car audio if your not willing to fork over the $$ to achieve the 160 your after. Let alone afford it.

As I said before, do some research 1st before starting ridiculous threads such as this one.

So lowballing the person. That's great. Hope he laughs at you or ignores you.

3grand isn't a lowball for a walled car...especially with no equipment in it... Since the market is so small for selling a walled vehicle. Like .001% of people in this world would interested in buying a walled vehicle. Lol there's only a few thousand bass heads who live that walled life!

I'm trying the same thing. My plan is to wait until someone has a 160db vehicle for sale that is depressed and hard up for money. Then offer him 3k
Plenty of retired SPL vehicles go up for sale, there have been a couple here even. The problem is they'll have 8 year old batteries and be pretty well gutted of equipment, and they generally can barely drive.

Again, you'll need a dozen batteries, plus subs, plus amps, then hope like hell the gear you picked works in a box designed for other equipment.

that does seam as if when a person is at their all time lowest , most desperate place in life, you come in an take full advantage of them
that is kind of you
People don't sell 160 vehicles with all the gear in for cheap. Even someone desperate will piece out the equipment then sell the vehicle empty.

Im trying to do 159/160db on music with $3k....suggestions on setup?
That MIGHT buy you playing music at 150. You people really have no idea what 160 dB is, or most importantly a logarithmic scale.

Ok. I'm not looking to maintain 150s all the time though. This is just an spl build. Would it still work for that?
Back up, did you want 150 or 160? The differece is about 6000-8000$ and an awful lot of testing.

You will need at least 20,000W legit. Amps that size range from 800$ used to 1400$ new or thereabouts. You'll probably want to run 18V so that's a second alternator and brackets. 18V batteries aren't cheap... batteries in general are not cheap, so whatever you spend on amps you will probably need to spend that much in batteries as well (hope you can manage the space and weight). You'll want minimum a pair of 18s. 18s that'll handle that are going to run 500$ each used probably 800 and up new. Be prepared to dump 150-250$ a pop into recones when you break things testing or just need to try different coils or suspensions to see what works.

Also be prepared to spend a lot of money in wood, composites, glue, paint, screws, deadening, etc. etc. Buy an SPL meter. You will probably NEVER hit 160 without one, and get ready to spend an awful lot of time testing and tweaking. Hope you enjoy fiberglass and bondo dust.

You guys are doing it all wrong. I could meter a 160 with 1 6x9. I know a guy who has done over a 170 with a 6x9. You have to get creative with how you meter. I.e. port score. Port wars would be the cheapest 160.

My buddy did a 160.5db on roughly 13k clamped power... So a 160db can be done with less power then 20,000-40,000watts... As Jeff said earlier get two vital power 7ks and wire down to .5ohm and have the electrical to back it up.... Then with the right enclosure you can get that 160db. But it's gunna take lots of testing unless u get your hands on unicorn Magic spl dust.

3grand isn't a lowball for a walled car...especially with no equipment in it... Since the market is so small for selling a walled vehicle. Like .001% of people in this world would interested in buying a walled vehicle. Lol there's only a few thousand bass heads who live that walled life!
I have seen a few SPL vehicles with audioz in it worth more than 3k.

W/O the audio in it is a diff story AND depends how much of a hack job it's been thru. Condition of vehicle, what type, year, mileage, etc.

garychoffman didn't specify buying a vehicle with or w/o audioz in it. (Some people need to be more specific)

My buddy did a 160.5db on roughly 13k clamped power... So a 160db can be done with less power then 20,000-40,000watts... As Jeff said earlier get two vital power 7ks and wire down to .5ohm and have the electrical to back it up.... Then with the right enclosure you can get that 160db. But it's gunna take lots of testing unless u get your hands on unicorn Magic spl dust.
What amp(s)?

Just saying "buy cheap amps and wire down to 1 ohm" is very poor advice. Do you mean .5 ohm DC resistance or .5 ohm at a particular frequency? How do you know what your impedance will be at your peak frequency until you have built your box and tested?

IF you wanted to play the low impedance game add DATS to the list of equipment to buy and definitely plan on a few recones to get the right impedance at whatever frequency you need. Also add some disposable income for broken amps along the way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.