What does it take to hit 160dB at 20hz?

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Exclusive
After hearing some of the crazy loud builds at Slamology (Chris Lee damn near killed me lmao), I am starting to think the direction I want to go long term is SPL at really low frequencies. I not only find it more enjoyable but also it is safe for your hearing (160 @ 20hz is about 110dBA).

With how far tech and pricing has come, what are some various methods to achieve near 160s at 15-23hz? Is it even possible in a sedan wall, maybe mid 150s? I imagine depth would limit tuning that low a sedan b pillar. I've seen results I like from 6x 21"s and 15 15"s, though I am sure there are many ways to go about it. 6th order is the way to go I assume?

15 of these would be incredible performance per watt and performance per dollar. Liking the look of the Powerus PW15000 for this application. One of few high quality full bridges.

If you went with those FU subs and Powerus amp it would be under $4k for subs and amp. I already have a nice lithium bank capable of 10kW+ with the right alt. The big pain is the ass for me would be time and money spent on building the enclosure.

My buddy did 16 12s in a Camry clamshell box. It was a steel cage box. Did 160s. Name is Michael chanata. Should be able to find videos on YouTube. If not I’ll post one when I get home in a couple hours.
I would not recommend FU audio now. It’s a dead company. Owner went MIA a couple years ago.

My buddy did 16 12s in a Camry clamshell box. It was a steel cage box. Did 160s. Name is Michael chanata. Should be able to find videos on YouTube. If not I’ll post one when I get home in a couple hours.
I would not recommend FU audio now. It’s a dead company. Owner went MIA a couple years ago.
That's sad to hear. Always loved their stuff, awesome value. Only company I can think of the fill that void would be maybe American Bass or Soundcubed.

It takes a ton of work dude. A ton. I’d say your best bet is a b-pillar horn in a large vehicle.
Yeah this would be something I wouldn't daily and work on for potentially years.

Unrelated, me and my buddies are finally getting work done on that 5x American Bass Hawk 12 b pillar you designed a while back. Even that is an insane amount of work. Really hoping for some decent wind being tuned at 31hz. We are planning on going with two MD8ks wired to 0.8 each due to budget constraints and already having them in hand. Should be able to clamp full RMS fingers crossed. 120AH of Scibs as well.

Last edited:
Yeah this would be something I wouldn't daily and work on for potentially years.

Unrelated, me and my buddies are finally getting work done on that 5x American Bass Hawk 12 b pillar you designed a while back. Even that is an insane amount of work. Really hoping for some decent wind being tuned at 31hz. We are planning on going with two MD8ks wired to 0.8 each due to budget constraints. Should be able to clamp full RMS fingers crossed. 120AH of Scibs as well.

Hope it works out well for you

After hearing some of the crazy loud builds at Slamology (Chris Lee damn near killed me lmao), I am starting to think the direction I want to go long term is SPL at really low frequencies. I not only find it more enjoyable but also it is safe for your hearing (160 @ 20hz is about 110dBA).

With how far tech and pricing has come, what are some various methods to achieve near 160s at 15-23hz? Is it even possible in a sedan wall, maybe mid 150s? I imagine depth would limit tuning that low a sedan b pillar. I've seen results I like from 6x 21"s and 15 15"s, though I am sure there are many ways to go about it. 6th order is the way to go I assume?

15 of these would be incredible performance per watt and performance per dollar. Liking the look of the Powerus PW15000 for this application. One of few high quality full bridges.

I've only seen it done once and he has 8 - Fi 18's on 16 US Acoustics amps. He clamps 94k watts. He also does 180's in the same truck. And he drives it to the gym.

Screenshot_20220426-145557_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220303-093021_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Ive never really metered to be honest. Im going to on the next and last large build out.Just looking to break a 150 on record and Ill be happy. But I do know the majority of these guys doing big numbers usually are sponsored most of the time, and Money is no option or an issue that Ive seen. Hell most when asked cant tell you what they have or how it was installed other than ask the installer?? LOL .Got to love those deep pockets man. I like hands on myself, much better appreciation for what you have, even if its a $50 set of tweets

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...