Can someone help out a new guy?

tdunc3

I'll apologize for my lack of knowing anything about car audio, I recently decided to buy my first set of subs and I installed them myself. I bought 2 12" kicker compR's already enclosed from best buy, and an amp that came with it, 1200w also kicker. I hooked everything up to my headunit and everything was working fine, subs were hitting good, everything sounded good (well, good for me). Then my buddy came over to "fix it" cus he said i should make it so all the extra power wire is in my trunk, so he tries pulling it through and he broke the 4 gauge wire, and it hit something metal and sparked and now the subs won't work, the amp still powers on tho, it did right after the sparking, and we repaired the wire and it still powers on, but no subs.

Thanks in advance for any reply, and please try to dumb it down for me haha I know next to nothing about car audio.

if you have an inline fuse block close to the battery check that. also check the fuse on the amp.
He is still getting power to the amplifier he stated it still turns on"green light"

So fuses on the power wire should be good still . I've accidentally touched hot wire to ground couple times as long as it removed quickly shouldn't damage anything , my experience

I checked the fuses, they look good. The power wire is completely unplugged right now so I'll have to wait until after work to do anything else to it. Thanks for all the replies! If i had another sub i'd try to hook it up but unfortunately i don't. I'll check the RCA wire tonight but can that really go bad if i just hooked it up yesterday?

I'll apologize for my lack of knowing anything about car audio, I recently decided to buy my first set of subs and I installed them myself. I bought 2 12" kicker compR's already enclosed from best buy, and an amp that came with it, 1200w also kicker. I hooked everything up to my headunit and everything was working fine, subs were hitting good, everything sounded good (well, good for me). Then my buddy came over to "fix it" cus he said i should make it so all the extra power wire is in my trunk, so he tries pulling it through and he broke the 4 gauge wire, and it hit something metal and sparked and now the subs won't work, the amp still powers on tho, it did right after the sparking, and we repaired the wire and it still powers on, but no subs.
Thanks in advance for any reply, and please try to dumb it down for me haha I know next to nothing about car audio.
This could have done a number of things depending on what happened.

Was the system on and playing when it happened?

What exactly do you mean by broke the 4 gauge wire? Do you mean the rubber coating?

Have you tried unhooking everything and hooking it back up?

Did your amp go into protect when it happened or does it even have a protect light?

The answers to those questions could help everyone answer you

First thing I would do is punch your friend in the mouth and tell him not to EVER touch any of your sh*t again. 2nd thing I' would do is smack yourself as hard as possible for LETTING him touch your SH*t... Then try following some of the advice above.

Yeah I agree I should hit myself ha no the subs weren't playing when it happened. But yeah the amp is in power saving mode. Any suggestions? I'm lost.

This has actually happened to me before. I would check the subs themselves. Disconnect the speaker wires from the amp, and tap them very quickly to a 9-volt battery. (like the one your smoke detector uses). You should hear a little bit of a thump from them if the subs themselves are still good. If not, then the subs are probably destroyed.

Yeah I agree I should hit myself ha no the subs weren't playing when it happened. But yeah the amp is in power saving mode. Any suggestions? I'm lost.
By power saving mode do you mean protect mode? like the red light?
What he said, lol.

OP, I'd check the subs themselves, there's a chance your buddy may have fried them. If you need help in doing that, just let me know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.