Building my first car audio system, need help!

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal
Hi! I am completely new to car audio, and just registered on this forum in hope to get some profesionall help hahah.

I just turned 18 and got myself a bmw e46 wagon, so there is a big trunk to work with.

I am not sure of what subwoofers to get, but I want something that is able to play lows. I have been looking at the Sundown Audio SA 15, or 12, and earthquake dbxi 15.

I don't have the biggest budget, and the prices here in Norway are just dumb.

What I want to know is what is the best bang for the buck, and whether to go with two 12s/15s or if its enough with a single 15.

I am open for suggestions and my budget is around 450-700 dollars for the subwoofer(s) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

(Sorry for my English)

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
2 12" sundowns would be good.. just remember correct ported box is just as important as subs., if u can't make one you have to get 1 designed and pay to build it..

OP
M

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal
2 12" sundowns would be good.. just remember correct ported box is just as important as subs., if u can't make one you have to get 1 designed and pay to build it..
Yeah, I want to buy a box design specific for my sub(s), and build it myself.

I really want to go with two 12 or 15s, but then I have to have an even more expensive amplifier :\

And what 12s would you recommend?

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
Yeah, I want to buy a box design specific for my sub(s), and build it myself.I really want to go with two 12 or 15s, but then I have to have an even more expensive amplifier :\

And what 12s would you recommend?
well the sa's are good subs, some peeps here like the american bass xfl cheaper than sa.. 1 15 would be cheaper and would work on 1k rms the xfl can take more power than that.. either 2 12's or 1 15 would take about 4cf ad box so keep in mind space makes bass.. i'd tell u fu750 like mine but they in u.s. so shipping would kill u..

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
Oct 17, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If you're on a tight budget you might check out the Rockville K9 12". It's reviewed on EXO's Youtube channel.

Rockville K9 12" Sub

I've got a Sundown SA-12 on 1.2kw in a good box (same builder that did Grandpa's). It hits hard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sundown. If you're trying to hit the low-lows make sure you get the right box built by someone who knows what they're doing, and tune your system accordingly.

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
If you're on a tight budget you might check out the Rockville K9 12". It's reviewed on EXO's Youtube channel.
Rockville K9 12" Sub

I've got a Sundown SA-12 on 1.2kw in a good box (same builder that did Grandpa's). It hits hard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sundown. If you're trying to hit the low-lows make sure you get the right box built by someone who knows what they're doing, and tune your system accordingly.
rockvilles are sold out now for months and they had coil problems.. saying they gonna fix it idk whats up..

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
Also check out the Sundown U-series. Rated at twice the RMS of the SA-series and only about $100 more.
those U's look good af.. about same weight as my fu but looks bigger higher rms. outta my price and power range anyway..

OP
M

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal
well the sa's are good subs, some peeps here like the american bass xfl cheaper than sa.. 1 15 would be cheaper and would work on 1k rms the xfl can take more power than that.. either 2 12's or 1 15 would take about 4cf ad box so keep in mind space makes bass.. i'd tell u fu750 like mine but they in u.s. so shipping would kill u..
I have looked at subs from USA, and what it costs with shipping, and its just insane.

The price of a Sundown Audio X12 in USA is 500 dollars, and in Norway it costs 770 dollars...

Something I have considered tho, is to get a box design for 2 15s, but run only one 15 to begin with. And get the other 15 when I have enough money.

Will this sound absolutely **** with only one of them in? Considering that the box is built for two hahah

I could also go with 12s, as this leaves maybe a little more space

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA
you could do that theoretically, as in build 2 separate boxes, with different ports.. but its not the best practice. having multiple subs in a common chamber, with a common port is highly recommended vs splitting them up.

Running 1 sub in a box designed for 2 is not a good idea either, as you could easily damage the sub. building a box is maybe $100 and your time. build a proper box for 1 sub, then sell it to a friend when you get your 2nd sub.

OP
M

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal
you could do that theoretically, as in build 2 separate boxes, with different ports.. but its not the best practice. having multiple subs in a common chamber, with a common port is highly recommended vs splitting them up.
Running 1 sub in a box designed for 2 is not a good idea either, as you could easily damage the sub. building a box is maybe $100 and your time. build a proper box for 1 sub, then sell it to a friend when you get your 2nd sub.
Oh okay, I didn't know you could damage the sub by having a too large box. I will just wipe that idea then hahah..

If I were to go with a single 15" with a max price tag of 600USD, what sub would you guys go with?

Beentown

Senior VIP Member
Mar 24, 2016
Central, OH
Oh okay, I didn't know you could damage the sub by having a too large box. I will just wipe that idea then hahah..If I were to go with a single 15" with a max price tag of 600USD, what sub would you guys go with?
What's available to you locally?

OP
M

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
We have ALOT of ground zero subs here in Norway.. There aren't really many stores in Norway that sell real car audio either, so I will just order online. Here are some links to some Norwegian websites.
https://www.bassbrothers.no/bilstereo/basshoyttalere?sort_193=217&page_193=1

Subwoofere › Produktkategorier › Sandviks Bass & Bongel

https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/subwoofer-bass/filter/basselement
do you want just loud or mostly sq or middle? how much power will you have to run it or how much $ will u spend on amp?

OP
M

Mhmjepp

Apr 15, 2018
Norway, Arendal
do you want just loud or mostly sq or middle? how much power will you have to run it or how much $ will u spend on amp?
I want something that is loud, and capable of playing low notes. For the amp, I will go with something around 400-500 dollars, kinda hard to say right now, but I will definetly have to get something with enough power.

Sorry for late replies, still getting used to the forum.

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
I want something that is loud, and capable of playing low notes. For the amp, I will go with something around 400-500 dollars, kinda hard to say right now, but I will definetly have to get something with enough power.
Sorry for late replies, still getting used to the forum.
sa is pretty loud does ok on lows by most accounts the x is better at lows but doesn't play higher as well and takes lots more power.. that sundown U looks like it may be better at both but cost more and again takes more power.. keep in mind after what we call "box rise" sub only really gets about 1/2 the power amp makes. really it's close to what the next highest ohm load is (so if u wired to 1 ohm amp does 1500 but at 2 ohm if amp does 750 thats what's closer to actual power to sub) point is if u want 1500rms u need a big amp like 2k+ and u will need big 3 wires under hood and 2nd battery.. so if u don't want to spend more $ on bigger wire etc go with d2 sa 15 and a 1k- 1200rms amp (set gain well) but something like a rockford 750 will do ok with it. if u don't mind the other $ and work get a "bigger" sub and amp

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA
sa is pretty loud does ok on lows by most accounts the x is better at lows but doesn't play higher as well and takes lots more power.. that sundown U looks like it may be better at both but cost more and again takes more power.. keep in mind after what we call "box rise" sub only really gets about 1/2 the power amp makes. really it's close to what the next highest ohm load is (so if u wired to 1 ohm amp does 1500 but at 2 ohm if amp does 750 thats what's closer to actual power to sub) point is if u want 1500rms u need a big amp like 2k+ and u will need big 3 wires under hood and 2nd battery.. so if u don't want to spend more $ on bigger wire etc go with d2 sa 15 and a 1k- 1200rms amp (set gain well) but something like a rockford 750 will do ok with it. if u don't mind the other $ and work get a "bigger" sub and amp
Sa series will take 1k without any problems with a clean signal. Clip at that power, and you have instant recone practice. as you mentioned box rise, id recommend a 2k amp on an sa series sub. Headroom is a good thing.

FYI, im gonna be running 3 sa12s on my scv3000d at .66 ohms. and they will like it.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
If you list the available space you are willing to give up H x W x D and let the forum weigh in on choices, you'll get good info. People here will tell ya what'll fit, even account for port clearance, I'm sure everyone here would be able to advise you on what'll fit, get low and sound good... just let folks hear what sort of result/goal you want. Also, if you put up a pic of the cargo area that would help. If you want to keep it under the windowline make sure the height you give is that measurement, and realistically how many electrical upgrades are you willing to pay for. A 3-5K amp will probably need some $$$ just in electrical upgrades to be done correctly (alt, batts and wire) so think about that.

Even a single 15 can use just a bit of space...

Lol... doin a pair could get kinda big... do you got a lot of space that you'll give up?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest classifieds