Stock Subaru System Compared

Jcsaudio

Senior VIP Member
I have in my possession a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. I decided to measure the frequency response with REW and my mini DSP microphone to compare it to my CX5 you see in my signature with the Celestion full range speakers in the dash and SB Acoustics (NVX version) in the doors. The subwoofer was off in the test and the 6.5 door woofers crossed at 80 hz LR.

Of all the stock systems I've listened to, this might be the best sounding one I've heard yet for a stock system. The Subaru system is in red and the CX5 in blue.

Yep we make a good one... I'm not sure which sound system you have but my company vehicle is a touring model with dual subs in the doors and sounds great, doesn't need a additional aftermarket subwoofer for a full sound.

I have always heard that about Suburu. My favorite stock system was in a 90's Isuzu rodeo. And my mom's old Pontiac vibe. The Pontiac would just get louder and louder without any distortion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

got you, that's the same as in my wife's outback. You should give a listen sometime to upgraded sound system in the Outback. It will actually play pretty low and will vibrate the rearview and sideview mirrors pretty darn good.

got you, that's the same as in my wife's outback. You should give a listen sometime to upgraded sound system in the Outback. It will actually play pretty low and will vibrate the rearview and sideview mirrors pretty darn good.
whats the approximate cost dealers charge for that upgrade, $2-5k?

What surprises me the most about this vehicle is how quite the interior is. Makes the low powered system go a long way without the road noise interfering. Wouldn’t take much more power to get some great sound quality.

Stock sound systems seem to just keep getting better and better.

My wife has a 13 explorer with the Sony system and I think it’s 13 speakers total maybe?

It tickles my ears sometimes if I’ve got it up loud enough and a window rolled down, it really surprised me.

My brother has a 16 or 17 wrx and the stereo sounds fantastic in it. If I remember correctly they offer a few levels, the highest level was the kicker and he opted for the one right under that. By far the nicest stock stereo I have heard. They have come a long way since my old 97 imprezza, that stereo was garbage.

The stock 10 speaker Bose in my 13 SRX really surprised me. The only that I didn't like about it was the anemic 6.75 'subwoofer' under the false floor in the rear. Once I installed the IA20.1 with the HST12MKII, it came alive. I only have bass, mid and treble control via the CUE system, I have the bass just barely past half, and they all blend in swimmingly. It is about the cleanest sounding system that I have ever ran, especially after I replaced my LOC with an Audio Control LC2i, made a noticeable audible difference. I am still amazed by the low end output from a sealed enclosure of less than 1cuft. Jc, what sealed enclosure is your SA 12 in?

The stock 10 speaker Bose in my 13 SRX really surprised me. The only that I didn't like about it was the anemic 6.75 'subwoofer' under the false floor in the rear. Once I installed the IA20.1 with the HST12MKII, it came alive. I only have bass, mid and treble control via the CUE system, I have the bass just barely past half, and they all blend in swimmingly. It is about the cleanest sounding system that I have ever ran, especially after I replaced my LOC with an Audio Control LC2i, made a noticeable audible difference. I am still amazed by the low end output from a sealed enclosure of less than 1cuft. Jc, what sealed enclosure is your SA 12 in?
Currently its in a 1.2 plus net sealed box built by me, which was originally a ported box. I sealed the port shut to make it sealed because the 1 cube gross pre-fab sealed Belva box I had before was a bit too small. It sounds pretty good for what it is. I have the materials to make the ported box now but my problem is our crappy cold weather and my busy schedule with my kids so its going to take a while. I also need to do some electrical upgrades so I can unleash the full power of the Infinity K-1000 or at least 900 watts RMS up from the 500 watts I have it set to now.

Funny I was testing the Dayton air motion tweeters last night and comparing them to the Celestion full range speakers in my dash and the Celestion have more sparkle and detail than the highly rated Dayton tweeters do. I'm thinking I may need to swap some amplifiers around to rule out the possibility of the amplifier being the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure it could end being pretty pricey if the wiring harnesses needed to be changed.
yeah i suppose labor is the biggest cost, if you ever see it on a tag let me know I'm curious because i'll be getting a more reasonable vehicle for to/from work and long trips before long

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.