Build Advice for Nexus 7 in Dodge Nitro

Participant count
  • Participant list

tycoonbob

Hello everyone.

I have been out of the car audio game for a while, but I recently sold my 2007 Eclipse (custom box with a pair of Alpine Type-R and 1000w AMP to Pioneer AVIC-F90BT). That setup did me great for 4+ years and with a new vehicle, I am ready for something new.

I bought a 2010 Dodge Nitro SXT, that I am looking to do a custom Nexus 7 install.

Preface:

I'm an IT Systems Engineer, and I have a home environment that is more than most small-medium size businesses. I have a 3 node virtualization cluster with a 24-bay storage system, and inside of this cluster I have a virtual server running an application called SubSonic. SubSonic is a music streaming app, which allows me to stream my 15,000 FLAC library to any device with transcoding options to ensure playability on anything. I have a Nexus 10 tablet and a HTC One phone, which both work great with SubSonic. I want to do a Nexus 7 install so I can cache music via WiFi onto the tablet and use it as a HU in my car.

I am looking to find someone local (or maybe ship my dash out) to be modded for a Nexus 7. I plan to use a Audison Bit One processor to power a 4 or 6 channel amp for and replace my stock speakers. Later, I plan to add a single sub with another amp (600-1000w RMS area).

I want to make sure that the Audison Bit One will allow me to do all of this, or if I should be looking at the Bit Ten. Is there a competing product that would be cheaper and do exactly what I need as well? What do I need to interface the Nexus 7 to the Bit X Processor (is it the 3.5mm jack or some sort of cable/device via Micro-USB?). I am looking for a mild-SQL setup, and I want it to be clean. I plan to buy the parts myself, and either install myself or take it to a shop (depending on cost). I don't really have a budget, but that doesn't mean I can drop $3,000 on this.

Also, any suggestions on door speakers? I believe the car has a speaker in each door and a pair of tweeters on the dash, but I am not sure. The stock radio is not the navigation unit, and it will be replaced.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Anyone? I'm just looking to know the following:

1) Can the Audison Bit One fit my needs, or do I need the Bit Ten? Is there a comparable product that is cheaper?

2) What is the best way to connect a Nexus 7 tablet (3.5mm headphone jack, or Micro-USB) to the Audison processor?

3) Any recommendations for speakers? I am thinking a pair of coax for the back door and a pair of components up front. I also need a good amp for these, 4 channel I suppose.

And of course any other comments about what I am wanting to do.

Thanks.

Finally a fellow Dodge Nitro owner! Soundman Car Audio in California does custom tablet installs. They are the best I've seen. They also run the Audison product line as well. They would be your best bet in my opinion!
Soundman - iPad mini car mounts, tablet vehicle installation - Amplified Show, the reality of car audio
Yes, I blame them for giving me the idea. I've been watching their stuff on Youtube for a while know, but to ship a dash out to them for modding is $1200. A little much for my price range, which is why I am looking to find someone locally who can do at least a decent job. Thanks to them I am familiar with the Audision Bit products, but don't know any other vendors that have a similar product. I plan to buy the equipment myself and maybe do the install myself, and buy a new dash to let someone mod for me. Just trying to get my equipment list together first and foremost!

Yes, I blame them for giving me the idea. I've been watching their stuff on Youtube for a while know, but to ship a dash out to them for modding is $1200. A little much for my price range, which is why I am looking to find someone locally who can do at least a decent job. Thanks to them I am familiar with the Audision Bit products, but don't know any other vendors that have a similar product. I plan to buy the equipment myself and maybe do the install myself, and buy a new dash to let someone mod for me. Just trying to get my equipment list together first and foremost!
Yah I'd say $1200 is a little steep. I know theres another guy that does custom tablet installs in florida. Nothing that I know of local to Kentucky. I've got a friend with a retail store in Youngstown OH I can see if he has done any custom tablet installs....

Thanks. I have no problem shipping a dash off, and even a Nexus 7 with it (as long as it's to a business and not some guy I don't know doing this out of his garage). $1200 for that is just a little rich for my blood.

So I've been doing some research on the Audison Bit One vs the Bit Ten, and I think the Bit Ten will do what I need. Correct me if I am wrong, but my Nitro has a 6.5" speaker in each door and a pair of tweeters in the front dash. If I got a set of components for up front (6.5 in the front doors and the tweeters), and a pair of coax for the rear doors, I could pair that with a 4 channel amp and run on 4 channels. Right? The Audison Bit Ten can do 5 channels, whereas the Bit One is 8 channels but costs much more.

How much difference is there in running a pair of components and a pair of coax in 4 channels instead of running 2 pairs of 6.5" woofers and a pair of tweets in 6 channels? Would I notice enough of a difference to buy 2 amps (or a 6 channel amp if they exist) and buying the Bit One instead? I would love to have all 4 doors and the tweeters on 4 channels then later add a single sub on a single amp as a 5th channel, which would mate up perfectly with the Audison Bit Ten. Thoughts?

amp anc crossovers - CarAudio.com Rides Gallery

This is my install. Rockford amp is gone now and replaced with an american bass amp. I also upgraded from a 10" SA-10 to a C2 Audio Threatcon 2 12". But I have 2 sets of MBQuart components. 6.5 mid-bass drivers in each door, with tweeters on the dash and I added tweeters in the c-pillars at the hatch. They are ran off of the MBQuart 4 channel amp into passive crossovers.

Looks nice, and I really like how you used that storage space in the hatch like that. The reason I am thinking carefully about a sub is that I want to keep my hatch area usable for our two GSDs when we take them to the lake or something. Where you amps are is where I like to store my guns when going out to the range or something, haha. Nice and secure.

So each component speaker (the 6.5" woofer and the tweeter) is considered 1 channel, and the crossover is the device that connects the woofer and the tweet both to one channel of the amp?

Components are something I have never worked with before so it's new to me. I'm going to put a diagram together once I figure out what I'm going to do.

Looks nice, and I really like how you used that storage space in the hatch like that. The reason I am thinking carefully about a sub is that I want to keep my hatch area usable for our two GSDs when we take them to the lake or something. Where you amps are is where I like to store my guns when going out to the range or something, haha. Nice and secure.
So each component speaker (the 6.5" woofer and the tweeter) is considered 1 channel, and the crossover is the device that connects the woofer and the tweet both to one channel of the amp?

Components are something I have never worked with before so it's new to me. I'm going to put a diagram together once I figure out what I'm going to do.
Correct, 1 channel and the passive crossover seperates frequencies so your tweeters aren't lows and mid drivers aren't getting crazy highs. And this was my first time dealing with component installation. Worst part was running the speakerwire. Other than that it was a smooth process.

Correct, 1 channel and the passive crossover seperates frequencies so your tweeters aren't lows and mid drivers aren't getting crazy highs. And this was my first time dealing with component installation. Worst part was running the speakerwire. Other than that it was a smooth process.
Great. That means what I thought was correct, and now my only question is how do I interface a Nexus 7 with the Audison Bit Ten. That may be something I need to ask SoundMan Car Audio.

If you do choose to put your amps in there and they are as big as mine....make sure you cut out parts of the cover. I had problems with fitting wires in properly and with clearance issues of amp placement. Just used a Utility Knife to cut out parts. And even with parts cut out its still very stable.

If you do choose to put your amps in there and they are as big as mine....make sure you cut out parts of the cover. I had problems with fitting wires in properly and with clearance issues of amp placement. Just used a Utility Knife to cut out parts. And even with parts cut out its still very stable.
I probably won't put my amps in there, since part of the reason I got this vehicle is for the utility of it. I still need to figure out where to get my dash modified though. I spoke with a local shop and they ballparked me higher than it would be to ship it to Soundman Car Audio, and they have never done a tablet install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.