Box Design

Participant count
  • Participant list
I havent got any "real" midrange, still have the factory speakers -- ***** i know--- I think I can get by tho for now..

I think ill take your and bucks advice and try that common chamber design and make the port 3" instead of 2 . should I keep it (the port) 22 inches as drawn?

combinedchamber.jpg

also my geometry doesnt add up.. i drew the top board wrong it is supposed to rest on top of the side to equal 31.5 (27.75+3+.75).
here is what I come up with:

External dimensions: 18"H x 31.5"W x 20"D = 3.6 cubes net. with the port 3" x 18.5" = 55.5 sq" of port

With the port 39" long, you will see a tune of 30hz.

Response Curve:

VBResponseAlpineR1224.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds good ill change the plans and go with that. unless buck disagrees //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif thanks for the help. without your work it'd have been trial and error and alot of wasted mdf

ok so not to sound dumb.. but is the port 18.5 inches or 39 inches in your graph? or would i have to add 20.5" to the 18.5 inch port to get 30Hz?

30hz sounds good to me since the probox is (i was told) tuned to around 45..

scaledbox1.jpg

the redline is scaled to 18.5 inches and the yellow shows where it would be at 39 inches .. unless i misunderstood your dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
will the 3.6 be tuned lower than the probox? and any ideas on the port should it be 18.5" or the ?39"? thats got me tripping

The port should be around 39. I would like to see a shorter box or a different port style to get rid of the 3 wide and 18.5 tall, I'd like more 12 tall, 4.5-4.75 wide to keep the same port area. But that'd if you can fit the extra depth/width.

The port should be around 39. I would like to see a shorter box or a different port style to get rid of the 3 wide and 18.5 tall, I'd like more 12 tall, 4.5-4.75 wide to keep the same port area. But that'd if you can fit the extra depth/width.
you think with the dems he has and the port up/sub up it would be better to go Precision port?

the precisions are 6" x 18" could one use pvc or do you really get the gains they say using the $40 tube they sell

also id have to add 3" to the width, that will work but 34" is the max width I can go. Would that xtra cubes make a difference?

and since the box is 18" tall, how much space is required below the bottom of the port and the bottom of the box?

the precisions are 6" x 18" could one use pvc or do you really get the gains they say using the $40 tube they sellalso id have to add 3" to the width, that will work but 34" is the max width I can go. Would that xtra cubes make a difference?

and since the box is 18" tall, how much space is required below the bottom of the port and the bottom of the box?
If you can do that extra width, now we are getting somewhere, assuming you still want subs up/port up configuration. Going back to the original design using these external dimensions:

20" tall x 34" wide x 22" deep, the top of the box, where the subs and port opening will measure an overall 34" x 22"

With the slot port at 4" wide and 20.5" across (22" - 1.5") make the port the same overall 39" long inside the box (except using the 4" design, instead of the 3") as post # 21, you will be at 4.8 cubes/net @ 31hz tuning and have less port noise introduced. This is a closer match to Buck's recommendations

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.