box design for (4) 15's needed for crew cab

Dumbo1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2019
I have a 2017 Silverado crew cab I want to put 4 15's into.  I have not decided which subs to use yet so,  FI, Sundown, DD are the brands I am considering.  id like to go ported but I will go with sealed if I don't have enough room.  my dimensions to work with are  60" w X 40" tall X 20" deep. I appreciate any help or input.

ReflectingX

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2019
Drivers play a large part in your enclosure design. However, the idea that most talk about is not exactly true nor does it work.

Here is the real answers that need to be had first.

1. Goals of the system.

2. If music will be played be honest about the types and the range that the subs will need to play.

3. What subs and power play a role, but to a lower extent than what any designer will tell you for a wide range of reasons. Truth is the "fudge" room in enclosure design is massive and there plenty of "standards" for design that work with a wide range of drivers just fine. Can you improve the performance if you design for a specific sub? Yes, but not by the amounts that people discuss on any forum or facebook group.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I have a 2017 Silverado crew cab I want to put 4 15's into.  I have not decided which subs to use yet so,  FI, Sundown, DD are the brands I am considering.  id like to go ported but I will go with sealed if I don't have enough room.  my dimensions to work with are  60" w X 40" tall X 20" deep. I appreciate any help or input.
you have plenty of room to go ported, never go sealed in a truck man.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Drivers play a large part in your enclosure design. However, the idea that most talk about is not exactly true nor does it work.

Here is the real answers that need to be had first.

1. Goals of the system.

2. If music will be played be honest about the types and the range that the subs will need to play.

3. What subs and power play a role, but to a lower extent than what any designer will tell you for a wide range of reasons. Truth is the "fudge" room in enclosure design is massive and there plenty of "standards" for design that work with a wide range of drivers just fine. Can you improve the performance if you design for a specific sub? Yes, but not by the amounts that people discuss on any forum or facebook group.
so EBP means nothing and you can just throw a driver in any random ported box thats close to spec and you'll get good results?  yeaah I dont agree with that statement at all especially when you doing big boy setups chasing 160dbs+

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
can hook you up with a box design for almost nothing. Just shoot me a PM can help with driver choice as well if you'd like.

ReflectingX

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2019
so EBP means nothing and you can just throw a driver in any random ported box thats close to spec and you'll get good results?  yeaah I dont agree with that statement at all especially when you doing big boy setups chasing 160dbs+
While I understand this concept is outside of your general way of thinking the fast answer is yes. There is inherently a large cushion for enclosed volumes, port area, and tuning is relevant to the desired reproduction and vehicle.

This applies to every day sound systems, and yes they can get rather loud. More often these systems work better with general enclosure specs than they do when some designers and builders try to do what is closer to manufacturing specs.

Being from that area of this industry I can assure you most companies have no clue what their drivers want at all. Not in a daily, sq, or spl.

However, spl builds are a different take on audio entirely. Before you discuss it, build one then we can talk further as you will understand that conversation in better detail. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
While I understand this concept is outside of your general way of thinking the fast answer is yes. There is inherently a large cushion for enclosed volumes, port area, and tuning is relevant to the desired reproduction and vehicle.

This applies to every day sound systems, and yes they can get rather loud. More often these systems work better with general enclosure specs than they do when some designers and builders try to do what is closer to manufacturing specs.

Being from that area of this industry I can assure you most companies have no clue what their drivers want at all. Not in a daily, sq, or spl.

However, spl builds are a different take on audio entirely. Before you discuss it, build one then we can talk further as you will understand that conversation in better detail. 
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH

build throw a sub in a prefab box and get better results than a custom ported? these newbs get crazier and crazier every day. 

idk i'm not loud yet 30k rms with four 100lb 18s walled in a 6th order means nothing nowadays.

• Haha
Reactions: fithwheel

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
Sep 20, 2016
Springfield, Mo
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH

build throw a sub in a prefab box and get better results than a custom ported? these newbs get crazier and crazier every day. 

idk i'm not loud yet 30k rms with four 100lb 18s walled in a 6th order means nothing nowadays.

Bet my kicker comp 10s are louder why you waste your money dawg my cuz blew out his back windshield with two dem mofos

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA

Is there a single factual statement in this, or is it a persuasive draft?

fithwheel

Dec 8, 2017
indiana
Really enjoy going to school around here. So if my goals are to be loud all I need is kicker comps and a pre fab enclosure? 

Just trying to get all this straight.. Not sure I want to blow out my windows though maybe i should get one of those under seat kicker 8s instead..

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Just trying to learn what I can from the newbies before i waste money or time...
Everyday it's a long ride to school.

I just can't keep up with these pros 

Never should have given that S10L7 to my kid... oh well... gotta run, the short bus is here again.

Bro... under seat SeAlEd enclosure... that might save your window glass... not really sure tho.

Better keep it under 762watts rms @2 ohm... it might make your license plate bend

• Thanks
Reactions: fithwheel