Box Confirmation please

Yep... as in "moderated", "deleted" and "counseled" by a mod... I did get pretty bad with the meme's remember... lol... so no comment
Oh didn't know you got repremanded...the meme's tho who can forget !!

Boy it's windy here...

LOL I'm kinda curious now, but I'll stay out of it.

I always give everyone a fair chance until they prove otherwise and right now, everything is good with me! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I'll be gathering up materials over the next couple days, weather pending, to start the box build.

Ill post progress pics as I go...

I managed to get started tonight!

I still need to cut the hole for the sub (11.25") and the hole for the 4" port (I need to get the pipe yet)

This face of the box isn't attached yet so I can still work on it.

The difference between boxes isn't all the much but I'm hoping for a big improvement.

1.5ft3 for the older box and 1.8ft3 for the new box.

Being as I'll be getting a 10 foot length of 4" pipe, I'm going to experiment with different port lengths. Before I start cutting pipes and holes, I have a couple questions:

1) How much clearance do I need from the port to the back wall?

2) Does the placement of the port matter? Same face as the sub?

3) When it comes to flaring the port tube, is the length of the flare included in the overall length of the port? Or just the straight line run portion of the pipe to calculate the port length?

Thanks!

View attachment 26556913 View attachment 26556915 View attachment 26556914

Hello again.

I finished the box, its currently a 'sealed box' as I still do not have the port tube.

I installed the old sub into the new box, and I also downloaded an app called "Simple tone generator"

It seems to be tuned to around 48hz, as that is where everything seems loudest, and chest pounding.

Not sure if that's the box, or the sub... but I must say its louder (and deeper) then the old box.

I managed to get started tonight!I still need to cut the hole for the sub (11.25") and the hole for the 4" port (I need to get the pipe yet)

This face of the box isn't attached yet so I can still work on it.

The difference between boxes isn't all the much but I'm hoping for a big improvement.

1.5ft3 for the older box and 1.8ft3 for the new box.

Being as I'll be getting a 10 foot length of 4" pipe, I'm going to experiment with different port lengths. Before I start cutting pipes and holes, I have a couple questions:

1) How much clearance do I need from the port to the back wall?

2) Does the placement of the port matter? Same face as the sub?

3) When it comes to flaring the port tube, is the length of the flare included in the overall length of the port? Or just the straight line run portion of the pipe to calculate the port length?

Thanks!

View attachment 26556913 View attachment 26556915 View attachment 26556914

1. For clearance from the end of the port to the wall of the box allow no less than half the width of the port, personally I usually go no less than the width of the port.

2. If you are chasing numbers yes location of the port can matter, for your application it's not as important. Use either the same face the sub is on or fire the port out the top of the box. It's hard to tell but from the pictures if you rear fired the port toward the hatch there might not be enough room between the mouth of the port and the wall of the hatch. If that space is at least half the width of the port then it would be ok to port to the rear.

3. If the ends of the port are flared then the length of the port needs to be extended by the length of the radius of the flare on each end. For example PSP 4 inch aeroport kit is 18" long overall but only 17" is usable. If there is no flare just use the full end to end length.

I like to use a piece of pvc to mount the port tube to then bolt the whole assembly to the box. It's easier to swap out different length ports that way.

Thanks, I am chasing numbers but I think I can still make it work.

Being as the sub face protrudes from the box about an inch, I'll make a little

spacer ring to bring the port tube out just as far.

I decided to spend the money and picked up a proper port tube, as the pvc pipe was thick wall, and about 3-5/8 inside diam. (Dunno if it'll make that much of a difference?) But if I'm this far into it now...

I also found some tolex for a great price. Not the color I was hoping for but good none the less. (grey)

Going to finish up putting the box properly together and router edges today.

IT'S DONE! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thank you everyone for helping me with the box configuration!

It's not perfect by any means, but nicer looking and it sounds so much better then the old box.

I can't say its any louder, but I didn't really want much to begin with,

BUT it does sound so much better, deeper and richer sounding.

It drowns out the stock speakers now, so I have some more research to do to upgrade them.

Just looking to balance out the sound now and looking for a little more clarity.

Thanks again, and CHEERS!

View attachment 26556975 View attachment 26556976

View attachment 26556977

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.