Box Building Screws or Brad Nails?

lol. I hear ya.
I'm just here to gain more knowledge.

After all, knowledge is power, right?

lol

I have been checking out your build. You wouldn't happen to need another A600.2 for your collection.....would you?
Yes it is. Im here just tryin to help too. And yes I may get 2 more what u looking to get? Pics? PM me

if screws arn't important what happens when your mdf splits on the other side of the .01" thick glue joint where all the strength is?
Why would the wood split if it's glued?...but if you think a screw or a nail is going to hold split MDF then your not thinking clearly. That .01" of glue is more like a weld on MDF using wood glue. It's stronger than the MDF itself. Do a test yourself. Glue a joint together with nothing but glue, and then one with nothing but screws, now see which one is easier to get apart by prying.

Liquid Nails has been used for years and works perfectly. Brands are just like anything else... preferance
No it hasn't. Liquid Nails is an adhesive. No box builder I've ever seen uses it. Unless it was to seal a crack.

I never mentioned a brand, but if Liquid Nails has a wood glue product, use that by all means.

Liquid nails is used for gluing OSB, or plywood flooring. Mainly to prevent squeaks. The only other things people use it for is small pieces of trim and things of that caliber.

Not here to argue or prove anyone right or wrong. All I can do is post what works for me. I use standard wood glue, and the glue joints are the strongest part of my boxes. Wood glue + MDF = very strong bond.

Last edited by a moderator:
:crazy:I had the comma's wrong sorry- yes it is. I meant compare the wood glues to construction adheasives. Obviously theres a reason our homes I hope to hell arent made with fkkn wood glue. Think about it:wow:
Construction adhesives are wood glues since they bond together...wood, right? I use construction grade subfloor adhesives(mainly at first because I'd get it for free at work)...the shit is insanely strong once it cures. I have to use a utility knife to get it off my fingers and I have some chunks of it that have stayed on a shirt for over 3 years and dozens of washer/dryer cycles, not to mention me picking at it trying to get it off.

I mainly use Dap or GE, both bond together even wet or frozen wood...crazy stuff. I've used Liquid Nails...never again.

I've used screws and brad nails, both work fine, but I prefer screws since I don't have to clamp anything and don't feel like buying big clamps to cover a 60" box. Predrill with 1-5/8" coarse thread drywall screws and I have never had one split MDF.

I've used screws and brad nails, both work fine, but I prefer screws since I don't have to clamp anything and don't feel like buying big clamps to cover a 60" box. Predrill with 1-5/8" coarse thread drywall screws and I have never had one split MDF.
Amen.

And those who think Liquid Nails hasnt been used are those who are 17 years old or so who didnt want to spend anything extra other then stealing daddys Elmers wood glue. Just because you havent heard of it dont mean it dont exist.

You can use black tape and wood glue on your **** all day long if you want. I will use what I have been forever without issues or complaints. This thread wasnt about what fkkn glue or whatever it was about screws vs nails. Take the advice or leave it.

Now im done on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know guys. Im no pro when it comes to box building- Im almost done with my first box. I only used elmers, yea, I said elmers wood glue and clamps. No screws, no nails. Its only 2.2@33 with an areoport for a single 12" thats only getting 500 watts rms. I'll post pics Friday. I think it will be ok, if not, I'll find out....lol

Why would the wood split if it's glued?...but if you think a screw or a nail is going to hold split MDF then your not thinking clearly. That .01" of glue is more like a weld on MDF using wood glue. It's stronger than the MDF itself. Do a test yourself. Glue a joint together with nothing but glue, and then one with nothing but screws, now see which one is easier to get apart by prying.
I've made the mdf split from internal pressure before, hell I won't even touch mdf garbage anymore. and yes screws do help keep it together, the screw acts like a brace not allowing the 2 pieces to flex against each other. you think the spl cars have 40-50 screws a panel just for fun?

Because heat breaks it down and its tensile strength is crap even with no heat. I had 4 shops in AZ maybe it was just there it ******. Never again.
Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scraps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better. Then add moisture heat and strength and you will have my answer. When the ones with wood glue break the seal cleanly with little or no force, and the ones w/ tightbond or liquid nails breaks off chunks of wood too when it snaps you know the difference.

Dude I was with you until this post. My senior project in college ( right before I graduated with my bachelors in sturctural engineering) was exactly the test you proposed. Then 30 or so years of building cabinets of all kinds backed the test. My results differed from yours drastically. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Dude I was with you until this post. My senior project in college ( right before I graduated with my bachelors in sturctural engineering) was exactly the test you proposed. Then 30 or so years of building cabinets of all kinds backed the test. My results differed from yours drastically. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
K I will post one more cuz I couldnt resist this one lol....dude your years wasnt doing car audio. Building cabinets inside or whatever isnt even close to the same. As for your "results", I dont know what you mean by different. Wood glue will break down in the elements esp heat. Unless you use expensive industrial grade wood glue which they arent buying here, its not even comparable. Like I said before, You all can use what you want.

K I will post one more cuz I couldnt resist this one lol....dude your years wasnt doing car audio. Building cabinets inside or whatever isnt even close to the same. As for your "results", I dont know what you mean by different. Wood glue will break down in the elements esp heat. Unless you use expensive industrial grade wood glue which they arent buying here, its not even comparable. Like I said before, You all can use what you want.

Oh yeah? I will continue to use what I want, just as you will. I bow to the greater power that you seem to think you are as I'm too busy to argue. I got an ass ton of fellow SQ competitors I have to go tell to remove there 15" and 18" subs cause they can't keep up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh yeah? I will continue to use what I want, just as you will. I bow to the greater power that you seem to think you are as I'm too busy to argue. I got an ass ton of fellow SQ competitors I have to go tell to remove there 15" and 18" subs cause they can't keep up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
noob....id bet you couldnt spell SQ nevertheless know wtf I am talking about. Heres how your too busy: Just get your CA&E mag, a tube of KY and sit on the wifes puter like you are now slammin peoples **** and advice and masturbate to everyones systems in the magazine, cuz thats as close as you will get.

I see nothing from you but insults and stupidity. Show your talk or shut up - Same as everyone else. Piss off - Im done on this thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.