Box Building Screws or Brad Nails?

I've made many boxes with staples, many with screws, and many with just glue. They all turned out great.

I have done tests with different glues testing them, and titebond is all I use now.

I prefer not to use fasteners. I just go down to home depot and hire a 4 of the cholo's. 2 to stand there and hold the enclosure together, and two to blow on the glue and make it dry faster. Works everytime //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I prefer not to use fasteners. I just go down to home depot and hire a 4 of the cholo's. 2 to stand there and hold the enclosure together, and two to blow on the glue and make it dry faster. Works everytime //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
As long as you have a steady supply of burritos.

seems like a heated debate. i think im going to try the brad nails and proper wood glue this time around. worst case, it fails.....

Audiodave you would be well-served to have your builders build a box with screws and another with brad nails. Use the same wood and same glue. You will see that neither fail under the pressures that a subwoofer can produce. If you have all of your joints together, what would cause a board flex and crack/break the glue joint? NOTHING. If your glue cracks or breaks from stress, that screw is just going to come out of the wood as would a nail. They are only useful until the glue dries. We are not trying to contain a bomb blast. We are creating pressures that this material can handle with ease. Glue is more than adequate for a standard box build. Once you see how much faster, and how STRONG boxes with brad nails are, you will increase your profitability in your shop. You are wasting man hours on nothing. I'm doing 150's with a brad-nailed box. It's holding (2) DD9515g's on 3500 clamped watts. If your box has leaks or a lot of flex, you cannot achieve this spl. Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.
Appreciate it. We dont do speed builds anyways. Wont ever use nails of any kind.

So you think wood glue is BAD to use for enclosure construction? So do you not build your boxes out of wood? I am confused.....
Wood glue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wood glue is an adhesive used to tightly bond pieces of wood together."

I am not dissing using Liquid Nails.....but how can you diss wood glue?
Because heat breaks it down and its tensile strength is crap even with no heat. I had 4 shops in AZ maybe it was just there it ******. Never again.

Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scraps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better. Then add moisture heat and strength and you will have my answer. When the ones with wood glue break the seal cleanly with little or no force, and the ones w/ tightbond or liquid nails breaks off chunks of wood too when it snaps you know the difference.

Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.

Its not about ego or being wrong. My rep is based on my experience for 20 years. We dont and will never not use screws period. Not a high horse, just know the difference.

Search this forumn, go to the JL website, call some folks around Arizona's shops and look in magazines from past and see how much I know and have helped thousands.

Eitherway I dont care how you do your boxes. This is my shops deal.

Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scaps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better
I build cabinet doors for a living. I've done this many times. If you glue two peices of mdf together, the mdf will fail before the glue.

Because heat breaks it down and its tensile strength is crap even with no heat. I had 4 shops in AZ maybe it was just there it ******. Never again.
Do yourself a test favor... sometime take scraps of wood and with no nails no screws nothing but glue try the different types and just use hands to break the seam and you decide which is better. Then add moisture heat and strength and you will have my answer. When the ones with wood glue break the seal cleanly with little or no force, and the ones w/ tightbond or liquid nails breaks off chunks of wood too when it snaps you know the difference.
Isn't tightbond just a type of woodglue?

:crazy:I had the comma's wrong sorry- yes it is. I meant compare the wood glues to construction adheasives. Obviously theres a reason our homes I hope to hell arent made with fkkn wood glue. Think about it:wow:

:crazy:I had the comma's wrong sorry- yes it is. I meant compare the wood glues to construction adheasives. Obviously theres a reason our homes I hope to hell arent made with fkkn wood glue. Think about it:wow:
lol. I hear ya.

I'm just here to gain more knowledge.

After all, knowledge is power, right?

lol

I have been checking out your build. You wouldn't happen to need another A600.2 for your collection.....would you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.