Box Building Screws or Brad Nails?

I prefer using a nailgun, but I sometimes use screws. Last box I built, I used really long nails and regretted it. A few of them popped through and it took a while to pretty it up. I hate sanding body filler.

I wouldn't use liquid nails. That's not it's purpose. It's an adhesive, not a glue. Use plain ole' woodglue, made by any manufacturer. It's all pretty much the same.
Liquid Nails has been used for years and works perfectly. Brands are just like anything else... preferance

As long as you know how to glue, mechanical fasteners are only there to hold the boards together til the glue dries. I switched from screws to brad nails about 6 months ago. I can now build boxes faster with an identical end product.
K I will never use nails only in my shop, havent for 20+ years and never will. And if I ever even see plain wood glue everyones fkkn fired.

i wouldnt use nails //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
you need not speak anymore as you don't know anything about building boxes or building materials as a brad nail is not a hammering style nail but a heavy gauge pin

Screws and nails are used to hold the mdf in place until the glue dries. I build some of my boxes with no mechanical fasteners at all. If you predrill the holes it shouldn't split. I've used screws, I've used nails, and as mention nothing but glue. They all work just fine.
This is the absolute truth. most box builders that are either new or can't cut a true line use screws as screws can **** in wood to make tighter while glue dries. there are the few who use screws just b/c they are comfortable with using them. I personally use brad nails for speed.

If the cuts arent right then dont secure them lol. Its as easy as PILOT, SINK, SCREW and done with the seams already caulked or glued wet and ready. Once it dries sand the edges and its done and done right.

K I will never use nails only in my shop, havent for 20+ years and never will. And if I ever even see plain wood glue everyones fkkn fired.
So you think wood glue is BAD to use for enclosure construction? So do you not build your boxes out of wood? I am confused.....

Wood glue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wood glue is an adhesive used to tightly bond pieces of wood together."

I am not dissing using Liquid Nails.....but how can you diss wood glue?

i have built many boxes over the last 20 years, i have done it both ways, if you are screwing you must predrill and counter sink to prevent wood split and get full clamping from screw, lately i only nail, 1 3/4 nail (i believe you should go in at least the thickness of your wood, and most nail guns counter sink)

ABOVE all else the glue is the biggest factor....... USE TITEBOND 2..... i apply to open end grain, then brush even (1 inch brush with 1/2 brissles cut off), align and nail. do not use liquid nails..... one it stinks, and you car will smell like it for days, 2 takes to long to dry, and i have heard the gasses it releases is harmfull to speaker surounds. When the glue is all dry, then use a good caulk, most of the boxes i build any more have 45 in all inside corners of the box, i then use a 1' nail again glue, brush, nail. this really makes the boxes rigided, now all corners are joined with at least 1 3/4 of material.

My last box i used screws. never had a a problem, you are using the wrong pre-drill bit if you are still getting cracks and ****.

This can go back and forth. Its all about personal preference.

Audiodave you would be well-served to have your builders build a box with screws and another with brad nails. Use the same wood and same glue. You will see that neither fail under the pressures that a subwoofer can produce. If you have all of your joints together, what would cause a board flex and crack/break the glue joint? NOTHING. If your glue cracks or breaks from stress, that screw is just going to come out of the wood as would a nail. They are only useful until the glue dries. We are not trying to contain a bomb blast. We are creating pressures that this material can handle with ease. Glue is more than adequate for a standard box build.

Once you see how much faster, and how STRONG boxes with brad nails are, you will increase your profitability in your shop. You are wasting man hours on nothing. I'm doing 150's with a brad-nailed box. It's holding (2) DD9515g's on 3500 clamped watts. If your box has leaks or a lot of flex, you cannot achieve this spl. Get off your high horse. You can maintain your ego. You don't have to admit it in here, but to help your business you need to compare and find out how wrong you really are.

Use whatever you like. A good box builder will make a quality enclosure with either. Brad nails are undeniably much faster to work with.

Wood glue > liquid nails when working with wood. I mean, it is common sense, isn't it?
I feel this way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Use whatever you like. A good box builder will make a quality enclosure with either. Brad nails are undeniably much faster to work with.
This.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.