Blew one of two subs, looking for advice

2ohm DVC's will yield a 1ohm or 4ohm load depending if you wire series or parallel. 1ohm is too low for that amp and 4ohms would only yield 250 watts per sub. If 2ohm stereo is the lowest impedance that amp is capable of, you cannot get 500wx2 out of it with those 2 subs.
I was under the impression that it could be wired at 2ohms. I'm looking at the application diagrams that came with each sub. ..

One of the examples shows with 1 amp and 2 subs that it can be wired at 2ohm impedence. But then again I guess that these are mono amps in the examples and a 2 channel amp would be more like 2 mono amps (1 amp per sub, thus only 1 or 4ohm impedence possible).

Whatever the case, I did go and talk to the tech. He said that they were wired at 1ohm each sub. Now the amp is stable at 1ohm according to the specs. It's 750Wx2 @1ohm. Now these type R's can take a beating, but 750W RMS might be reason for it to blow after 1 day?

Secondly, if this is true with these DVC's, does that mean a dual 4ohm sub could be wired at 2 or 8 ohm impedence? I was looking at the JL W6v2. I could get those wired at 500Wx2 @2ohms right?

Did you buy the subs and amp there? did they install it? If yes I'd tell them to give me some new subs for hookin the dam things upto 750 watts when alpine recommends 300. If they are an Alpine dealer and say they won't you up fat... then call up alpine and tell them their dealer is giving them a bad name. Even though I was running 700 to a 12 type r no problem few years back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.