more subs vs less, higher quality subs

prizm01

CarAudio.com Recruit
maine
ive got a chance to buy a small bus and have always wanted to tour the east coast with a build in comfort. the real question here is should i run something like 32 cheap ass 12 inch drivers or 10 stout subs ( something like avatar stus). the end goal here is to have a really really impressive demo vehicle to represent my new car audio shop. i would like to stick with a 6th order and have a fuckload of wind. which of these two options would be better for me?

which of these two options would be better for me?
I agree with Pops. Cheaper subs will also have softer suspensions, therefore having more accurate playback. Also those 32 subs will probably need only as much power as the 10 stout subs.
Using economical subs will also showcase how good they perform despite the price point.

Stupid PE links... I've used the SW and the SW-HE units the HE version is pretty impressive for the coin. The GRS 12SW-4HE 12" is only slightly more than the SW and it's worth it. Got two of the 12's in a box with a couple of POlk passive radiators from some old SRT Polk towers I cannibalized, and with a couple of hundred watts, it gets loud!

Last edited:
As Pops stated. Im same. Cone area usually rules. Id recommend American Bass XO 10s for cheapies as they sound great and take a little bit more than rated for the $. Id even look at some CT Sounds Bio Series for under $60 bucks a piece rated for 400 rms each.

I have helped a friend years ago make a party bus. We went with prefab sealed box for 2-12s under each seat.
We put 4-12s on a Skar RP2K. He had a total of 48 subs on 12 amps. We put 2 6x9s on each side of each row. Each row on an RP150.4. 48 speakers on 12 amps again. He had his generator rebuilt to some insane number. Each row had 2 massive batteries that weighed like 150lb each. His wiring was close to 15k in cost. All were 2/0 and each row had 4 runs, 2 per battery/amp.

Im gonna look for the pics when I get home from work. All the amps were mounted in the center aisle and under plexi. Looked killer. Now, the subs he used were cheapie HiFonics. He had bought them in sets of 8 for like $300. The 6x9s were MB Quart Formulas. He got a killer deal on those crappies, er, Cheapies. $100 for 4 pairs.

After it was all said and done, it took us about 3 weeks to put it all in, and it sounded pretty good. Nothing to win any competitions, but it was just built to haul people and play loud music. It was done for about 2 years until we ripped it all out and redid the seating to be along the walls, facing inwards. Cut out almost half the seats, and the 6x9s were moved to the roof. Amps stayed down the center, but the boxes for the 12s were redone. Same subs and all, but changed to down-firing to avoid being kicked.

He sold the bus about a year ago. Had 4 stripper poles down the middle, light up acrylic. Looked permanently wet.
Had bubbles in the poles, lol. I'll look for pics in the am when I get home.

I "hear" ya! I actually considered it at one time, settled on a Dayton 18" instead. THose things are crazy big drivers, would be cool to hear one is a proper setup!
I’d like to try Daytons kraken 21 inch. I wish they weren’t only available in single 4 ohm coils. The 18 inch ultimax was a great sounding sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...