Best Amp specs to power my Sony XS-L120B5D 2x12" Subwoofer setup

They wanted $100. They said it already sold. I thought it put out more than that... Thanks for the update.
You know if you could find a good 2 channel that would work well. Larger 2 channels can be bridged and ran at 4 ohm. That one that Audiobaun had mentioned would be excellent. Do you know anything about impedance? I mean could you handle rewiring the speakers down? That would be another option. 600 @ 1 ohm is a little easier to find and cheaper than 600 @ 4 ohm. If you want to stick with Sony (I wouldn't as far as amplifiers but...) here's a 2 channel that does 540 @ 4 ohm bridged which is pretty close. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25439_Sony_XM-GTR2202.aspx?utm_source=pricegrabber_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=pricegrabber_shopping_Price_Comparison

Thanks again for the responses,

Yes, I'm familiar with impedance, but was hesitant to open the box to rewire them....

Along those lines, however, what if I were to keep the current Pioneer amp which is 120W PER channel RMS (2 ch: (4 Ohm) 120Wx2) - and re-wiring the speakers so that each goes to its own dedicated, 120W channel. I would assume that taking them out of series wouldn't drop them from 4ohm to 2 ohm - it shouldn't...lol

Would that work?

See, here's what's odd. They already sound great to me - but I would at least like to harness the power of my current amp (if I can't afford a new one right now).

Thanks,

Matt!

P.S. Dumb question, will hooking up to a more powerful amp allow me to SIMPLY listen to it louder? Or will the sound quality improve at any volume level?

P.S. Dumb question, will hooking up to a more powerful amp allow me to SIMPLY listen to it louder? Or will the sound quality improve at any volume level?
it will get loud to the point to where you can put the subs into distortion and burn them up if you consistantly do it.

it will get loud to the point to where you can put the subs into distortion and burn them up if you consistantly do it.
Ok... Hhmmm. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and may not even need a better amp. I just figured that the ratings for the subs were so much higher than the specs of the amp that I figured I was doing an injustice to my ears.... I'm not looking to compete - just want nice sound.

Thoughts?

[quote name='>>SQL

"The XS-L120B5D utilizes two front firing 12"' date=' SVC, 2-ohm"[/quote']

Ah, totally skipped over that. According to the specs, the amp won't output 2 channels @ 2 ohms per channel . Hmmm

Matt, your subs are capable of being wired down to 1ohm, where there is a VAST pool of amplifiers that will easily power the setup and give you room to grow when you're ready to upgrade, at a very attractive price as well. Look for any amp that can do 500+watts RMS at 1ohm. Again, there are a large assortment of amplifiers that can easily do this you should easily find a winner. I think I saw an Audiopipe ASPM-1300 around here for under 100 bucks. It will do at least 1000@1ohm and give you room to grow. Take a look into it.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, and don't take this as an insult, but those woofers are at the bottom of the spectrum of what we usually utilize around here. I think everybody has been friendly about it because you are asking legitimate questions without sounding/acting retarded. I applaud you for this. Keep coming back with questions before you make any big decisions and we will readily help you along the way!

Nobody has mentioned this yet, and don't take this as an insult, but those woofers are at the bottom of the spectrum of what we usually utilize around here. I think everybody has been friendly about it because you are asking legitimate questions without sounding/acting retarded. I applaud you for this. Keep coming back with questions before you make any big decisions and we will readily help you along the way!

That was a very nice way of putting that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.