Best Amp specs to power my Sony XS-L120B5D 2x12" Subwoofer setup

KillerQ
10+ year member

Detroit
Hey all,

I have a the XS-L120B5D 2x12" Subwoofer box in my 1996 Ford Escape. I am very impressed with the quality thus far - especially given the fact that they are SEVERELY underdriven. I am powering them off of my PioneerGM-X524 4 channel amp that's bridged down to 2 channels. Since the two subs in the Sony box are wired in series, there is only one speaker wire port, and I have one of the two bridged channels from the amp connected. The second bridged channel is sitting there going to waste with nothing attached.

You can Google the specs (since I can't post links yet), but the pioneer amp specs and the Sony subs specs are at the bottom of this post for reference:

So, now it seems that I'm only pumping 60W into these at the moment. They already sound great, so I can only imagine what they'll sound like when properly powered.

My question is, what is the best type of amp to run these? I was thinking a Mono Block, but then thought that a 2 channel that is bridgeable to mono would be more versatile in the future. Even if you just provide generic specs that I should look for, I can find the brands and units that match them.

(For what it's worth, these are an upgrade for the 2x8" Infinity 860W Reference sub enclosure that i had been using previously. I think the Sony unit sounds much fuller, better, and there's no comparison.)

Thank a TON in advance,

Matt!

The PioneerGM-X524 specs are as follows:

Continuous Power (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD)

4 ch: (4 Ohm) 50Wx4

4 ch: (2 Ohm) 60Wx4

2 ch: (4 Ohm) 120Wx2

Maximum Power (EIAJ)

4 ch: (4 Ohm) 100Wx4

2 ch: (4 Ohm) 240Wx2

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (0,-1dB)

Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.004% (1kHz, 4 Ohm)

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 105dB (IHF-A Weighted, at 1kHz)

Dimensions: 10" x 2-3/8" x 12-3/8"

Features

Bridgeable 2/3/4 Channel Capability

1-Ohm Stable Operation

PWM Regulated MOSFET Power Supply

Balanced Isolator Input Circuit

Gold-Plated Screw-Type Power/Ground Terminals

Gold-Plated Screw-Type Speaker Terminals

Gold-Plated RCA Inputs (x2)

Gold-Plated RCA Outputs

Hi-Volt Input Level Control (400mV-4V)

Speaker Level Input Adapter (included)

Variable Crossover: 50-120Hz, -12dB/oct. (LPF/HPF) (Front & Rear Channels)

Bass Boost (60Hz, 0 to +12dB)

The Sony XS-L120B5D Kit specs are as follows:

ported enclosure with two 12" subwoofers

MDF construction with black carpet covering

two 12" five-sided polypropylene woofers with rubber surrounds

4-ohm total impedance

frequency response: 20-2,000 Hz

power handling: 100-600 watts RMS (2,000 watts peak)

sensitivity: 89 dB

32"W x 16-1/16"H x 18"D1 x 15-1/4"D2

warranty: 1 year

Our 60-day money-back guarantee

hmm best thing i can tell you is when you think you find a deal come on here and ask. you never know what you'll find on craigslist.

hmm best thing i can tell you is when you think you find a deal come on here and ask. you never know what you'll find on craigslist.

Ok, thanks.... However, is there a generic set of specs that I can keep my eyes peeled for? Like 2 channel, bridgeable, xxxwatts per channel, etc?

Thanks,

Matt!

Ok, thanks.... However, is there a generic set of specs that I can keep my eyes peeled for? Like 2 channel, bridgeable, xxxwatts per channel, etc?
Thanks,

Matt!
Like doesdad said you need 600 watts @ 4 ohms. With only one input you will most likely want a mono amp.

you could also easily pull the subs and wire down to 1 ohm, would open up far more options on the amp...

I was thinking of this, but i didnt know if the subs were dual or single voice coil. Also wasnt sure if op was up for that or not, i should've asked i guess.

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. I may have convinced myself that I'll spend up to $100

For a decent amp.

Someone local offered me a used Alpine MRP-500 amp. Is that decent and a good value for my system?

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Another option, if you have a spare minute, search in Detroit, Michigan for an amp that would work for my setup for 100 dollars or less, and post the link. I will contact that person and work out a deal.

Thanks,

Matt!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.