Basic Questions (New To Car Audio)

Participant count
  • Participant list

BWareofDWare94
10+ year member

Maryland
So I am not really new to the car audio game but do not have a large amount of knowledge on the subject. I previously had a set up on my 2007 Altima (stock bose speakers, 12" Alpine Type R and an MTX Thunder 600XD Amp). I took that out eventually because I needed to sell it for money reasons.

Long story short I eventually got some free audio stuff to use for a year while my friend got a new car and now that he has a new car I gave it back to him. Also I found that it was killing my battery alot of times as well. He let me borrow the same amp as I once had. Not sure exactly what the problem was since like I said I dont have much knowledge on the subject but once I uninstalled it there was no longer a problem so it had to be the amp. Does anyone have any idea what that problem could be? Bad wiring or something? Because I ran the same amp before and never had a problem for about a year.

Anyways I am looking to get some new car audio equipment and figured this was the perfect place to get all my questions answered. I am looking for some with good bass but then also reliable and do not want to purchase an auxiliary battery. I think the MTX thunder amp was pushing 450W RMS at 4 Ohms so I am looking for a little more than that. Before the place that installed my amp used 8 Guage wire I believe, could that maybe have been the problem?

I am looking for something in the 600-700W RMS range. Should I get the wiring completely redone with 4 GA to try to fix the previous problem?

I am looking to spend about $450-$500 on a sub, enclosure, wires and an amp. I already have the Hi Lo converter installed from last time (since I will not be using an aftermarket headunit).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some sort of help on a install for anyone in the Silver Spring, Maryland area would also be helpful or maybe some pointers on how to make the process a little but smoother.

BTW i was looking at the Hifonics Brutus 1200.1 amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say run audioque for the sub and amp. the amp may cost a little more but it's built better and will provide cleaner power. Knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit google knukonceptz they have a website and are very easy to deal with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.