Baffle vs sub diameter size?

ᛒᛚᚨᛞᛖ

CarAudio.com Recruit
SE
Purely structual question:

20221214_110540.jpg
How much larger should my baffle be than my sub cutout?

Example:
AB XFL 15 with a 14.'' cut out mounting in a 16'' x 36'' baffle. This would leave me 1'' of wood above and below the cutout.

Would that be enough or would I need more than 1''?

Edit: Will be double baffle so 1.5'' thick.

Last edited:
With a subwoofer the answer is whatever fits your design limitations without compromising structural rigidity. Look at it in terms of stiffness and rigidity rather than an actual numerical figure.

Can you feel vibrations when you touch the baffle as the driver plays?

Answering yes means the baffle needs extra stiffening to get rid of that vibration.

With a subwoofer the answer is whatever fits your design limitations without compromising structural rigidity. Look at it in terms of stiffness and rigidity rather than an actual numerical figure.

Can you feel vibrations when you touch the baffle as the driver plays?

Answering yes means the baffle needs extra stiffening to get rid of that vibration.

I haven't built the box yet. Was hoping there was a general rule of thumb for my q kind of like ''
you should use at least 3/4'' plywood for your box because .5'' is not strong enough.''

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...