At a crossroads on which sub to buy now that my IDQ's are done.

Ksan
10+ year member

Dodge HEMI
On the way home from work My IDQ 12's bit the dust, they have lost output and have massive coil rub. So now I'm not sure which way I want to go

I've been running a SQ build for a very long time and it was crystal clear and I loved it. Mostly what I do is big Parade's for my Daughter and her friends. While the IDQ's were awesome in my mind, most of the younger people were always thinking why doesn't he buy some "banging" stuff and get rid of the junk,(their words not mine) most of them had never even heard of Image Dynamic's.

I'm now thinking of buying two 15-SA Sundown's in a 33Hrz ported box and running with that for a while. Here is the problem though, I've always been about SQ and not SPL, if I make a change like this do you guys think I will be happy with it or should I just go back to my SQ? All of my amps would stay the same as my sig but the Head unit is Now a Alpine 117. Thanks

I'd say stay the same if you are not willing to go big.

Being that you never have been interested in being super loud via bass then being pushed into it will not do you any good.

Those sa-15's can get you a good start into spl.

Theres nothing wrong with an all sq setup, if thats what you like then ignore the guys who dont know about audio.

Id replace those blown/coil subs with a pair of Dayton HO subs.I think you would be very happy with those.They do very well for the money..and I think that they still carry a 5 year warranty on them @parts Express.Or they used too.Great subs

On the way home from work My IDQ 12's bit the dust, they have lost output and have massive coil rub. So now I'm not sure which way I want to go
I've been running a SQ build for a very long time and it was crystal clear and I loved it. Mostly what I do is big Parade's for my Daughter and her friends. While the IDQ's were awesome in my mind, most of the younger people were always thinking why doesn't he buy some "banging" stuff and get rid of the junk,(their words not mine) most of them had never even heard of Image Dynamic's.

I'm now thinking of buying two 15-SA Sundown's in a 33Hrz ported box and running with that for a while. Here is the problem though, I've always been about SQ and not SPL, if I make a change like this do you guys think I will be happy with it or should I just go back to my SQ? All of my amps would stay the same as my sig but the Head unit is Now a Alpine 117. Thanks
Go with an 18" SSA Xcon, pretty good SQL driver. You can ALWAYS lower the sub level for SQ purposes.

Get a nice SQL driver... Ssa icons would sound great, but it really depends on the install. I have nsv3 and everyone thinks they just play lows lows but not the case,whenever I give demos people are amazed at how good they sound. I've played with some ID woofers(older ones) and they just don't hold a candle to today's woofer.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been out of the game for a good while and it looks like things for me, at least, are changing. I deal with the public a lot and most of them do not care about how clean and clear your system is, when they go to a parade or out to a show they want something that is way above the norm and that will surprise them, so I have decided to up my game since the subs are out and I'll go with something new. I am thinking I will now add more amps and go with Incriminator Audio, maybe Death Row series. I really do not want to get into the stage of needing another Alt and battery but would like to push it close to that level. I'll let you guys know about the new buid when I start it if your interested.

I am thankful for all of the input but I'm looking for a little more than those 8" will give. Yes, I know the right 8" can get loud in the right build but I'm thinking about going to 2 to 4 15" DD, Incriminator, Sundown type build now but thank you for your input.

Where are you putting the box? Do you still have the rear seat? I've always been an SPL guy, hence my setup. I ran an under seat box for a while..but just wasn't happy. You have a clean looking truck from your pic...any other pics of the truck?

I am thankful for all of the input but I'm looking for a little more than those 8" will give. Yes, I know the right 8" can get loud in the right build but I'm thinking about going to 2 to 4 15" DD, Incriminator, Sundown type build now but thank you for your input.
I've had my SA-15 for like 5 years. Runs off a zx1000.1 which is not the cleanest power and they're still practically good as new. 2 would be a WHOLE lot louder than those sealed IDQ's if you go ported. I'd do 7 cubes tuned 33hz. They don't like super low tuning. You'll need a new alt if you want to really get them moving but even on 1k they'll be pretty loud. It sounds like you want it really loud though just to try something different. DC 280 amp alts are like $600. And there is better stuff out there for the money than the SA-15's. The best deal on the market right now for new subs that get super loud is probably the Sound Qubed HDC4 18. 4 inch voice coil 18 inch woofer with all that xmax for just a little over $400 is just about unbeatable. Those don't need low tuning either to hit low and hard as crap. Their sweet spot is 4kw of power. That's what I;d get if I could fit it in my trunk.

If you're limited on space and want to get very loud, get a HO alternator, but maybe also consider several small subs. That's what I may have to resort to. Smaller subs need less volume per unit of cone area. For instance: I can't fit more than 3.5 cubes. I currently have an sa-15 in that space, so I'm considering 6 SA-8's or similar, which have around 50% more total cone area than my sa-15, but will be fine in 3.5 cubes. Good luck finding an 18 that'll work in 3.5 ft^3...

Mostly what I do is big Parade's for my Daughter and her friends.
My bad didn't understand what that meant. I though you used the truck to haul people around and wanted to keep the back seat.

On side note I did a 135.5 with (2) hds208s under the back seat.

Jakerrr, You are like the 10th person to recommend those Sound Qubed HDC sub's I'm going to have t check those out, thanks.

Tripn88, a 135.5 on 8's under the back seat is pretty impressive.

avs20, thank you for the nice words on my truck, I'm sure I have some old pictures laying around but I do not have that truck any more. I traded it off for a 2014 Black Dodge quad-cab that looks even better and I have no back seat in it now. It is on it's way to becoming a show truck. I have not been on the forum in a long time and I have not updated my profile pictures or my Sig

I bought a SA-15 sundown sub today from a guy in town and spent the rest of the day building a box for it. It is a 3.2 tuned to 32-Hrz and I must say I'm impressed by it. It isn't as clear as the IDQ but it has much more out put. I also looked at two CT Sound 18's I think they were Strato, A friend has them for sale and he hit a 162 with them on a smaller Incriminator amp he told me today. I may buy those and the box they are in but I don't see my ID 1200.1 running those. I'll need another one or another amp all together.

EDIT.....that 162 was a typo missed the 5 it should have read "hit a 152"

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.