Another gain DMM thread

leaving the subs attached accounts for imp. rise //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
all the guys i know with world titles told me when i was learning to not hook up the subs.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

and i have never hooked subs up and playing in the 35-45 hz range on music with 10k+ watts my subs dont even get warm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Jesus it's not that difficult as you guys are making it.

Play a 60 hz tone with your subs attached. Take your gain and turn it all the way down. Turn up until you reach the voltage you want (set conservatively until you get used to it).

If I see another FYI smiley I might kick and scream. Dmm method works perfectly fine.

Also whoever said you are clipping the amp when your voltage drops is mostly mistaken. While it can cause some amps to clip, this is mostly at extreme levels of voltage drop, below 10.5 volts. Otherwise your amp would clip whenever the car is off. My soundigital operates beautifully with 12 volts and the car running, no clipping whatsoever.

If you're really worried about blowing speakers give yourself a little headroom on your subs and then when your amp clips little bit your subs wont be harmed

If I see another FYI smiley I might kick and scream. Dmm method works perfectly fine.
Also whoever said you are clipping the amp when your voltage drops is mostly mistaken. While it can cause some amps to clip, this is mostly at extreme levels of voltage drop, below 10.5 volts. Otherwise your amp would clip whenever the car is off. My soundigital operates beautifully with 12 volts and the car running, no clipping whatsoever.

If you're really worried about blowing speakers give yourself a little headroom on your subs and then when your amp clips little bit your subs wont be harmed
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

**** dmm setting. Turn the gain wide open , bass boost wide open , hu bass wide open , volume wide open , play a 10 hz tone and video the smoke as it pours out of the port. Lol. But seriously , set it unloaded to the proper voltage , then go back and fine tune it by ear. Obviously with the subs hooked up this time.

You need to see at what head unit volume level the amp begins to clip @ a certain frequency. That can't be done with a DMM. Oscilloscope ftw.

Lol it amazes me how on every forum the ONLY way to do it is to purchase an o scope worth more than your amp itself.
Huh? An Oscope is like $100-200...I've spent thousands on single amps.

A decent o scope costs 400 bucks. And all you need to do is set the HU to whatever the max volume you push it to is. If you drive your door speakers to clipping without noticing you shouldn't be spending that much money on car audio

Explain how you're going see at what volume level the amp begins to clip with a ******* dmm...
With seventh grade math. Watts x resistance and take square root. That gives you the maximum clean voltage your amp will produce

A decent o scope costs 400 bucks. And all you need to do is set the HU to whatever the max volume you push it to is. If you drive your door speakers to clipping without noticing you shouldn't be spending that much money on car audio
Wow that makes absolutely no sense.

And this is all anyone needs to see a square wave..

Amazon.com: Velleman 10 MHz Handheld Oscilloscope: Electronics

With seventh grade math. Watts x resistance and take square root. That gives you the maximum clean voltage your amp will produce
Absolutely wrong.

Go read the reviews on that o scope. Not something I want to spend 200 bucks on. I set my gains like that and every system I've set up and never blown a speaker so I'm going to keep doing it my way, you can use your o scope if you prefer

Go read the reviews on that o scope. Not something I want to spend 200 bucks on. I set my gains like that and every system I've set up and never blown a speaker so I'm going to keep doing it my way, you can use your o scope if you prefer
Don't chime in on subjects you know nothing about. You only embarrass yourself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.