Amplifer Help

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I find larger sealed boxes perform better but once you go too big, you start losing out. I have no experience with W7

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
Kinda reinforcing info that’s already been shared but Sa10’s will be better off In 750-1000 And are more spl. You like w7’s so w6’s Might be good for you but they are relatively expensive...idq’s Represent the middle I guess from output/sq and price but dudes with those subs like @Clifff150 and his pals have said they weren’t that impressed.

10”, small space Requirements, 600 watts, solid price....this seems like a solid consideration

Last edited:
OP
M

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
I'm also looking at the new Alpine xw10. The seem.to.have all the right things for a nice SQL woofer but the need 900rms and I only have 600rms. Would that be fine?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Agreed on the Type S. Great little woofer and is an underrated woofer. Honestly, you have been given tons of options. I personally think your best bet is 2 10’s and I’d go Dayton HO.

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
Agreed on the Type S. Great little woofer and is an underrated woofer. Honestly, you have been given tons of options. I personally think your best bet is 2 10’s and I’d go Dayton HO.
Have you ever run the Dayton HO 10's? I picked up an Type S 12" ($100 pawn shop) and it sounded way better than the JL W6. I've also ran two older Dayton 10's in a 2004 Ford Explorer and it sounded great. I'm sure that two Type S 10's would be really nice as well. I also feel like some people like to shit on American Bass for whatever reason.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
A type S sounding better than a W6 is 100% because of the box and setup. I haven’t owned the Dayton HO‘s but have heard them and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I don’t shit on AB (almost ran 2 TNT’s) but know there are other options

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
A type S sounding better than a W6 is 100% because of the box and setup. I haven’t owned the Dayton HO‘s but have heard them and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I don’t shit on AB (almost ran 2 TNT’s) but know there are other options
im a cheap a$$ so I would grab two tnt1044’s in a heart beat for $240 shipped but I try not to advocate too hard unless budget is a key factor.
TNT’s are 600 rms and sq soft parts vs an spl woofer like the xfl

OP
M

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
Ok the Alpine Type S series is a lot more budget friendly and there right on the money of 600RMS that I want to run. My question is now is it better to run 1 12" Alpine Type S on 600RMS OR 2 10 Alpine Type S on 300RMS each for a total of 600RMS?

I'm kind of scared trying the Daytons since there pretty cheap and more of a home theater subwoofer. I'm not sure how well it would do in a car. I rather stick to mainstream brands that I can research and watch videos on like the Alpines.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I’d do 2 10’s over 1 12. The Type S are rated for 600 but they’ll do just fine on 300.

I understand you thinking Dayton HO is only built for HT but there are literally tons of reviews that show they work great in cars. My favorite part about them is that they love small boxes (space is always a factor for me)

Reactions: Bobbytwonames
OP
M

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
Is a DSP necessary if I'm not going active? I'm just looking to use the crossovers for the front doors and the crossovers for the rear doors

Leesi207

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2020
Maine
Is a DSP necessary if I'm not going active? I'm just looking to use the crossovers for the front doors and the crossovers for the rear doors
Do you have the premium audio? I have a 2020 civic with premium audio and absolutely need a DSP that will summ and then equalize everything. Removing the factory head unit is not an option and the “premium” sounds like shit.. I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’m thinking either the W6 or GB 12.

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
Ok the Alpine Type S series is a lot more budget friendly and there right on the money of 600RMS that I want to run. My question is now is it better to run 1 12" Alpine Type S on 600RMS OR 2 10 Alpine Type S on 300RMS each for a total of 600RMS?

I'm kind of scared trying the Daytons since there pretty cheap and more of a home theater subwoofer. I'm not sure how well it would do in a car. I rather stick to mainstream brands that I can research and watch videos on like the Alpines.
2- Type S 10's. Cone area is king. Make sure to get the dual 4 ohm voice coils. You will always have the option to upgrade the power if you want more. Something like this if you want more power. Or, a Taramps MD1800.
Screenshot_20200922-203741_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
M

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
Do you have the premium audio? I have a 2020 civic with premium audio and absolutely need a DSP that will summ and then equalize everything. Removing the factory head unit is not an option and the “premium” sounds like shit.. I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’m thinking either the W6 or GB 12.
I have a JL Audio Fix 86 for that.

Reactions: Leesi207
OP
M

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
If I get the JL audio vxi 1000/5 with the built in DSP in the amp will I still need my JL audio fix86

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Latest classifieds