Looking for suggestions (kind of picky)

Ric1964

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all,
I have a 2007 toyota 4runner and looking to upgrade my headunit. Im not a stereo guy and havent done any installs in about 20 years, yea Im old lol....
Im looking for ideas, thoughts, ideas or suggestions. I dont need the newest or latest stereo, here's what I think Im wanting:
Android auto.
double DIN.
touch screen.
GPS.
SIRIUS turner plug in (already have the tuner).
iDataLink.
waze.
phone mirroring.
back up camera capible.
Im not "needing" a CD player.
Id rather have a full screen, meaning no buttons on the side but not dead set on that.
"IF" possible under $600, I see a few on Sonic Electronis, but Im just starting my reseach. Id want a brand name as some on Sonic are names Ive never heard of, not saying those are bad, I just never heard of them.

While Im thinking, do any of you know, if I got a newer Android head unit, would I be able to download the CoTrex app? its a off-road map, topo maps for 4wheeling.

A HUGE, Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend wireless AA/CarPlay. But I do understand it’s not for everyone and pricey. I think you have a good selection between pioneer nex and kenwood offerings. 2660 nex is a great option if you don’t want wireless AA. My brother in law has one and loves it. I thought it was a solid unit for the hour I spent with it.

Id rather have a full screen, meaning no buttons on the side but not dead set on that.
I really prefer a physical volume dial on these myself. Most will come with that and/or some buttons along the edges.

Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer are the top names in head units. All are reliable and should perform as advertised. Honorable mention to JVC (which is pretty much kenwood with a different logo) and I've been really digging the Sony lineup for several years now and running them in all my vehicles, it has been nearly a decade since I've owned a head unit with a CD drive. I've had good luck with Jensen in the past as well though I'm not sure how their quality is holding up.

I'll warn you that with all these "this deck integrates with your technology" there's always a risk that whichever unit you pick won't quite shake hands well with your device and there may or may not be known workarounds. I'd suggest shopping Crutchfield. They have a wide selection, they throw in any dash kits and wiring kits you need with purchase, and they have the absolute best customer support if you need any help getting everything to work or even just selecting the right unit with exactly the features you want.

That said, if you can find any in person in a brick and mortar store you may want to just go kick the tires on a few in person. Once you're in the good brands in similar tier of product the main difference is just going to be look/feel and user interface and you won't know which feels better or more intuitive for you until you actually put your hands on it.

You might want some buttons that aren't touchscreen. Reason is your location shows Colorado, and touchscreens don't like being cold!

You might want some buttons that aren't touchscreen. Reason is your location shows Colorado, and touchscreens don't like being cold!

I second this. I've come across head units that won't even boot until warmed up. My android powered head unit in my car won't boot if I leave the car outside in the snow in the winter for the night. Capacitive touch screens seem to work fine when cold, there isn't as much moisture in cold temps so it will have a hard time seeing your finger. I sometimes even have to lick my finger to work my phone in the cold.

I've also seen LED display single units freak out in the cold and not display properly. The older Sony in my truck doesn't like much below 0F. Below that the display is very sluggish and doesn't fully refresh.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.