5k watt build decisions - seeking help

I said xcons not zcons. The xcons have a shorting ring. Much more musical than the zcon. If you only plan on running a 5k amp at 1 ohm, thats only enough to run xcons unless you plan on running half ohm then it'll be zcons.
You dont quite understand box rise and what makes a sub a quality sub yet if all you look at is rms ratings
And excursion...he wants excursion too :rollseyes:

Now were getting somewhere... Excursion doesn't mean squat to a speaker to put out SPL and SQ....much more to it than that. zv5 15's perhaps, their made to do both and may meet your needs. And will handle that power no problem.
You are retarded. You can't answer questions correctly.

Your answer violates the nature of loudspeakers

Orion also has that awesome recone kit that seems handy,
They have some expensive recone kits that may or may not always be available. They're not bad, but they're really not great either. Buy them if you like, they'll do about as well as anything else IMO.

I said xcons not zcons. The xcons have a shorting ring. Much more musical than the zcon. If you only plan on running a 5k amp at 1 ohm, thats only enough to run xcons unless you plan on running half ohm then it'll be zcons.
You dont quite understand box rise and what makes a sub a quality sub yet if all you look at is rms ratings
I didn't plan on running anything at 1 ohm. I know what you said. I wanted to run more powerful subs. Closer to 2,500 each, so I assumed all I'd have to do is take the next step up.. I want to run my amp at 2 ohms. If I can't or shouldn't do that can you explain why? You think I should be pushing closer to 8k at 2 ohms to run two 15's rated at 2,500 each?
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Now were getting somewhere... Excursion doesn't mean squat to a speaker to put out SPL and SQ....much more to it than that. zv5 15's perhaps, their made to do both and may meet your needs. And will handle that power no problem.
I know what excursion does. Why it's wanted. I don't know why it's not wanted. I want good low end output. The main reason I want it at all though is because I like how it looks.

I'm interested in the xcon 18's. Decent price. If they are more suited for musical applications than two 2 zcon 15's I might jump on that. But apparently I need help understanding how to properly power them.

I didn't plan on running anything at 1 ohm. I know what you said. I wanted to run more powerful subs. Closer to 2,500 each, so I assumed all I'd have to do is take the next step up.. I want to run my amp at 2 ohms. If I can't or shouldn't do that can you explain why? You think I should be pushing closer to 8k at 2 ohms to run two 15's rated at 2,500 each?
usually box rise is triple your wired impedance so if you wire to 1 ohm, expect 2.5 to 3.5 ohm power out of your amp. if you wire to 2 ohm, expect around 6 ohm power numbers to your amp. Its a complete waste to try do a high powered setup at 2 ohms, literally no reason to do that at all. Hence why you'll only be tickling Zcons, HCCAs and all the higher RMS subs. Higher RMS does not mean louder, it just means you need that much power to get louder. This is why people generally throw double the sub's rated RMS and have zero issues with it, not because the sub is beefy, its because they are barely seeing rated power but they keep the signal clean. This is also the reason why most people wire to half ohm and lower on korean board amps which are tanky enough to do so on a daily basis with no issues.

For your goals, some b stock sundown ZV5 18s will easily get you there with a box tuned low making you slam 15-50hz with a strong emphasis on 30 and below.

Only suggesting 18s because that maximizes your airspace. Cone area does a lot for output. two 15s and two 18s of very similar beefiness, even if the 18s are weaker it'll still be a lot louder than the 15s. Cone area is king as long as you have the airspace to do a proper enclosure for it.

usually box rise is triple your wired impedance so if you wire to 1 ohm, expect 2.5 to 3.5 ohm power out of your amp. if you wire to 2 ohm, expect around 6 ohm power numbers to your amp. Its a complete waste to try do a high powered setup at 2 ohms, literally no reason to do that at all. Hence why you'll only be tickling Zcons, HCCAs and all the higher RMS subs. Higher RMS does not mean louder, it just means you need that much power to get louder.
For your goals, some b stock sundown ZV5s will easily get you there with a box tuned low making you slam 15-50hz with a strong emphasis on 30 and below.
Interesting! This is the information that's not as easy to find on the internet. I can't believe amps are like this.. that's too bad. I just thought 2 ohm would be better because it's more stable and cleaner energy flow from the amp helping longevity.. I just want my amp to last that's why I say 2 ohms.

Interesting! This is the information that's not as easy to find on the internet. I can't believe amps are like this.. that's too bad. I just thought 2 ohm would be better because it's more stable and cleaner energy flow from the amp helping longevity.. I just want my amp to last that's why I say 2 ohms.
no all you are doing is just limiting clean power output and taxing your wallet for no d@mn reason at all. Thats an old myth recheck my post again, i added more.

usually box rise is triple your wired impedance so if you wire to 1 ohm, expect 2.5 to 3.5 ohm power out of your amp. if you wire to 2 ohm, expect around 6 ohm power numbers to your amp. Its a complete waste to try do a high powered setup at 2 ohms, literally no reason to do that at all. Hence why you'll only be tickling Zcons, HCCAs and all the higher RMS subs. Higher RMS does not mean louder, it just means you need that much power to get louder. This is why people generally throw double the sub's rated RMS and have zero issues with it, not because the sub is beefy, its because they are barely seeing rated power but they keep the signal clean. This is also the reason why most people wire to half ohm and lower on korean board amps which are tanky enough to do so on a daily basis with no issues.
For your goals, some b stock sundown ZV5 18s will easily get you there with a box tuned low making you slam 15-50hz with a strong emphasis on 30 and below.

Only suggesting 18s because that maximizes your airspace. Cone area does a lot for output. two 15s and two 18s of very similar beefiness, even if the 18s are weaker it'll still be a lot louder than the 15s. Cone area is king as long as you have the airspace to do a proper enclosure for it.
Thanks for helping me see the light.

So in most given applications these days people run 1 ohm or lower?
mainly 1 ohm. It takes a lot of electrical to run below 1 ohm and you have to constantly manage heat levels as well if you are in a warmer state. Usually competitors run below 1 ohm and people that really know what they are doing with their big loud daily builds. I'd say for you, stick with 1 ohm and get a bigger amp and take the half ohm dive later when you feel confident enough.

mainly 1 ohm. It takes a lot of electrical to run below 1 ohm and you have to constantly manage heat levels as well if you are in a warmer state. Usually competitors run below 1 ohm. I'd say for you, stick with 1 ohm and get a bigger amp.
I was looking into final impedence and how to determine my final impedence. Wiring diagrams for 1 ohm final. Running to DVC 4 ohm subs is what I'd want to do to get 1 ohm to my amp. That is not the whole story though is it... my final impedence would still be higher especially dynamically. So I'm looking at a better amp and more current, okay so if I have to get a better amp and push more power do I have to upgrade my wiring/alternator/batteries to compensate? I had planned two 270 amp alts, and a gp car audio stage 3 elite complete 1/0 gauge wiring kit.
I ask because I don't know if this final impedence affects amplifier power draw. I guess it doesn't so if my understanding is correct I will have to upgrade electrical to compensate for the increased power draw if I want 5k to reach my two subwoofers. A 5k amp will never end up producing 5k at the sub right? You have to compensate for resistances and inefficiency.. so I need to look into 7-8k amps at 1 ohm, and maybe 2 370 amp alts. That's my guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.