5k watt build decisions - seeking help

Hello everyone I am new to this site and new to forums in general, I read a lot but never actively participate in forums. I am on here to get help piecing together a 5,000 watt build featuring EITHER 2 Orion HCCA 15's (newest model) or 4 Deaf bonce/Alphard Audio Machete Super Sport 15" woofers (1,300 watt rms & not yet released) I emailed a dealer for Alphard Audio last week and was told the super sports would sell for $210.

I say either this or that because I'm partial on my decision to commit with Orion because I was told they aren't very musical and can create VC smell rather effortlessly haha... The only alternative I can agree with is the 4 Super sports - now I know those 4 super sports will likely sound better and grant better spl overall, and I am very concerned with sound quality; so if going with Orion HCCA is foolish let me know.

The only reason I am interested in Orion in the first place is power rms handling per unit price, crazy excursion videos, and just sheer bulkiness. Alphard Audio I am interested in because everything looks so great. Among other reasons.... I don't know anything about their SQ though. My goal is wow factor, impressive sound reproduction, quality, and no compromises. I will take however long it takes financially. I won't take shortcuts.

This will be in a 97 extended cab Chevy K1500. I already have my back bench seat out running an NVX 15" sub on 1,000 watts. I am somewhat an Audiophile and do care about sound reproduction. I do not care about competitions and do not care what spl I can push. I know how happy my 15" makes me. So this system build is going to keep me ecstatic for a long time.

With that said I do want to be sure and push a true rms combined rating. I want to factor in efficiency, box rise, and impedence when building my system. I want my system to hold voltage extremely well, and sustain itself easily, keeping my amp cool and happy for years to come.

CAN SOMEONE HELP? Asking a technical question is as helpful as ever. Any discussion you serve is helpful.

- Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I love my hcca

Great sound and got decently loud

It did need a lot of power to get loud though

There are a ton of other great options available

I would only get hccas again if I got a killer deal on them

Are you open to other brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am but not for this build. Since I'm so interested in Alphard, and Orion. I know better is out there. For sure... Want to stick with these two though.

I love my hccaGreat sound and got decently loud

It did need a lot of power to get loud though

There are a ton of other great options available

I would only get hccas again if I got a killer deal on them
What size is yours? What rms rating did you push it to get loud? Did you ever smell the voice coil?

I installed one hcca 15 in the back of a friend's van one of those huge ones with the tall roof only a JL 1000/1 pushing it in a box built to Orion specs and it sounds pretty **** good never smelled coil but that is a tiny baby drop of power for that sub honestly there is definitely way better Subs out there for the money but if you like your nvx I'm sure you will like the Orion hcca me personally though for sound quality build quality and a lot of other reasons would look into some other brands I know you want to stick with Orion or alphard but for the same money you could do way better

I installed one hcca 15 in the back of a friend's van one of those huge ones with the tall roof only a JL 1000/1 pushing it in a box built to Orion specs and it sounds pretty **** good never smelled coil but that is a tiny baby drop of power for that sub honestly there is definitely way better Subs out there for the money but if you like your nvx I'm sure you will like the Orion hcca me personally though for sound quality build quality and a lot of other reasons would look into some other brands I know you want to stick with Orion or alphard but for the same money you could do way better
Thanks for the input. You must be talking the SPL HCCA 15. I am talking the 2,500 watt rms HCCA 15" two of those would be the 5k total output. I know there is better, but I love looking at Orion HCCA subs, same as Alphard. I've seen both brands in person, including the 32" from alphard and the 18" superwoofer from Orion.
I do know there is better but I'm also pursuing what I'm attracted to. Orion and Alphard stand out to me. So do some other lesser known brands, but cost a lot more. Orion also has that awesome recone kit that seems handy, but that kit costs what the machete super sports cost haha.

No I was talking about the 2500 watt RMS hcca black coil version and like I said I'm sure you will be happy with that woofer especially if this is your first build of that size and I definitely understand where you're coming from about wanting what you want ever since I saw a new platform Sundown sub for the first time there was nothing else for me

No I was talking about the 2500 watt RMS hcca black coil version and like I said I'm sure you will be happy with that woofer especially if this is your first build of that size and I definitely understand where you're coming from about wanting what you want ever since I saw a new platform Sundown sub for the first time there was nothing else for me
There's a sundown dealer up the highway from me, so around here ain't even special to see haha. Always special to hear though. Good company. I want the wow factor though! I know I'll be very happy, probably overwhelmed.. I guess ease of installation and sound quality will be the two biggest determining factors.

It don't even make sense that you can live in Bedford and have a Sundown dealer by you but I live in Indy and the only Sundown dealer up here don't even stock Sundown and if you try to order it they tell you that it ***** and you should buy whatever they have on sale that week anyways not trying to hijack your thread or anything like I said the hcca is a decent woofer especially for just over 400 bucks brand new I'm sure you'll love it just make sure you put some plexiglass windows in your box so you can see that big giant woffer booty everyday that hcca I installed sat in my garage for months so I had plenty of time to check it out

Not sure what amps you're planning to run but the new Orion XTR amps are pretty sick and definitely make more power than their rated for I almost got to XTR 4000ds but ended up going a different route the newer hcca amps are supposed to be decent to from what I've heard and this might be a rumor but I heard the hcca 5K was not as good as the others in that line but I've also heard that it was good don't really know just a heads up the hcca 8K is supposed to be a killer amp but again that's just hearsay

Not sure what amps you're planning to run but the new Orion XTR amps are pretty sick and definitely make more power than their rated for I almost got to XTR 4000ds but ended up going a different route the newer hcca amps are supposed to be decent to from what I've heard and this might be a rumor but I heard the hcca 5K was not as good as the others in that line but I've also heard that it was good don't really know just a heads up the hcca 8K is supposed to be a killer amp but again that's just hearsay
Yea, they stock sundown audio. It's a small shop but always selling and advertising sundown. I walk in and see a lot of sundown boxes just sitting there, some even hooked up to display.
I did plan to run the hcca 5k for the two Orion 15's, but if I should get the 8k instead I will! I will just have to look into that more.

With the Alphard Machete Super Sports I am not sure what amp or amps. I will be matching brands either way. Alphard will be more expensive for box materials, amplification, and wiring. Not a problem. Just something to consider. Thanks for the opinions. Basically want to keep it all simple and clean as possible. Minimal footprint. No need for 3 amps to run 5k when I can get one to run it easily. Looking to keep between 2-4 ohms to be easy on amps.

For the amount of $$ your HCCA sub costs, not both but for one, I got both my subs for less $$.
What subs are those? And that's fine, but I'm not trying to save money. I am partially biased to these brands based on appearence and attraction. Now if everyone attacked me here saying both ideas are terrible and will disappoint me I might change my mind! Haha. Also I want 15's. Nothing smaller. Nothing bigger.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.