5 Subs, 2 Amps, 2nd Battery? Set-Up Question

Yes please don't run different kinds of subs. If you need an enclosure design you can hit me up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That's why I'm buying two more of the exact same. Hence my previous question about what amp I'd need. And in terms of an enclosure...I'll email you now.

One last thing...Suppose I do go with 2 more 12's instead. That's 4 subs with 4 ohms each. The two boxed ones in the back have a final ohm load of 2, and the two others would be seperated to go under my seats...so if I got a new amp, I would want around 1200 watts (300 per sub) at how many ohms? And would I need two channels?
if you run all four of them on one channel (and ran parallel) it would be 1 ohm ... which is actually a good thing... cuz u can get am amp that pushes 1200 rms @ 1 ohm cheaper than one that pushes 1200 @ 2 ohms.

also, i dont know if putting them under your seat would work... depends on how much room you have... but if your running them in a grand cherokee... it would prolly sound alot better if you put them all in the same box in the back, and port and tune them.

jl recommends 1.75 ft3 tuned to 30hz for each... so that would mean you would need 7ft3 for all four.... which really isnt that big of a box.... so you could still have some room left in the rear with the box. trust me... it would be like a night and day difference in how well it sounds to do all 4 in the right size box, tuned correctly... and just having them in different places in your truck, in seperate boxes.

hope that helps

ok... well first... we need a lil more info... what model subs and amp u have/are buying.
the 3 10's... did u mean 2ohm each? never heard of a 12 ohm sub...

when looking at the electrical load on your car, first you need to know what size alternator is stock on your car (most are 70-80 amps, but some are smaller) ... if your thinking of running a second battery, you might also consider upgrading your alternator. also, doing the big 3 upgrade is essential.

when looking for a second battery, you def want to stay away from lead-acid batt's... look for a deep cycle, preferably an agm battery.

for the ohm load, and proper set up... this will help you understand your options:

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams

you need to know the specs of your subs you'll be running (single or dual voice coil, and what ohm they are)

also, sometimes, when running 12" and 10" subs together, you can end up running into cancellation problems, unless the box is designed right.

like i said tho... give some more info, and i'm sure we can point you in the right direction
An AGM battery is a lead acid battery.

i meant to stay away from standard lead acid batteries.... like die hard pieces of crap
Nothing wrong with Die Hard batteries to start a car.

Anyway a stereo system draws it's power from the car's alternator while the car is running. Upgrade the alternator before adding any batteries.

OP: You bought things on craigslist before knowing anything about car audio. Wrong.

You are talking about running 2 different sized subs together. Different size/brand subs have different inherent qualities such as resonant frequency they may not sound the best when blended. To be avoided.

You are talking about putting subs in a box in the back, and subs under the seats. Why? This would accomplish nothing except having some muffled bass. No.

You bought / are going to buy garbage. Stop. Do a couple months of research before buying anything. If you make impulsive purchases you will regret said purchases 99% of the time, and that goes for everything in life.

yea, and only to start a car, lol
Yes, and no battery is meant to power a stereo system for prolonged periods of time.

A vehicle's alternator supplies it's power while running. I don't recommend running a large system while the car is not running.

yes... but my point to him, is that if he is only running 1200 watts, and already has a 130+ amp alt ... that a new deepcycle battery would be sufficient to sustain voltage. NOW if he was looking at running serious power, then yes.... def upgrade the alt ... but he's not in a lil honda with a 70 amp alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.