2 amps 2 subs

WilliamK#24

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2- 12" subs In a ported box both are Pioneer 4 Ohm DVC 500 watt RMS. I was going to power them with an Alpine S-A60M mono amplifier. My amp though is only 2 or 4 Ohm stable. Since they are 4 Ohm speakers cant wire them into a 2 Ohm . So now i was wondering if it is possible without harming my stereo equipment to run a seperate mono amp to each sub while in that box or do they need to have their own boxes? I have 2 Alpine S-A60M amplifiers that I am going to use.

4 Ohm DVC subs can be wired at 2 ohm or 8 ohm. The two subs can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm. With that amp, you can do one of them just fine, at 2 ohm. That's no problem to run two separate amps one going to each speaker. Two of those amps would do great, but unless you have access to a second one at a great price for some reason, it's probably going to be cheaper to find a 1ohm amp that can do about a 1200W RMS. Your call. You have plenty of options.

Thank you all. I have one more question,and that is in order for me to get just one of those subs down to 2 Ohms I would have to eliminate one of the sets of voice coils when wiring it to the amp. And if that is the case is it good to run a 4 Ohm speaker only on one voice coil? I hope that made sense. If it is possible would you please send me a diagram. I've tried reading and learning about all this but doesn't make sense.

Dual 4 ohms in parallel is 2 ohms for each sub. Two, 2 ohms subs in in parallel are 1 ohm, and Two 2 ohm subs wired in series is 4 ohms to the amplifier. Each sub-wired in series gives you 2 8ohm subs, wired in parallel to the amp is 4ohms. You can feed the amplifier either a 1-ohm or a 4-ohm load in your situation. You want to use all the coils in both woofers. The stinger MT2001 is 1ohm rated and would provide the 1-ohm configuration of 2000 watts and the 4ohm wiring configuration, 800 watts. Seeing that the combined total in either situation is as much or much more than the subs can likely take, I'd get the MT2001, wire each sub's 2 coils in series, and then the two subwoofers in parallel to the amp. 800 watts to run cool at 4ohms, never breaking a sweat, and more power later should you be inclined to upgrade your subs. Win, win at less than half what 2 of the alpine amps would cost you.

Last edited:
id sell your amp and get a good 1,000 watt @ 1 ohm

heres how to wire subs...

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231025-210030_Brave.jpg

Crutchfield and the Alpine website both say that amp is 1 ohm stable

Last edited:
View attachment 54241

Crutchfield and the Alpine website both say that amp is 1 ohm stable

It's also $249 and does not have a subsonic filter on it. The all the stinger amps do and are more powerful to boot, All 1ohm stable. If you going to spend $249, save the $50, get that TM2001 and run it at 800 watts at 4ohms all day long! Just say'n

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...