$300, what’s your setup? Sub(s) and amp.

If you get a well designed cheap sub, the amp quality will really make a difference. I would argue in a situation like this, the amp quality is more important slightly than the sub quality. Cheap amps are the worst, they just don't control the sub well. So I'd consider getting an amp with at least 150 dampening factor, if not 180-200, then see what power level you can afford, and then see what sub options you have.

If you want to build your own box, let me know, I can design one for you and you can build it, to keep costs way, way down.

I would aim for decent amp, and as much cone area as you can get. I'll help you with the whole setup, if you'd like. You can PM or email me. No worries if you don't!

You didn't say how much space you had to work with...

But I bet this amp
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-1200-1d-car-amplifier

paired with this sub
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sdr-15-inch-car-subwoofer

would sound really nice.... In the right enclosure of course.

And BTW, I know this amp supposedly makes 1200 wts... and this sub is rated at 600... but with impedance drop and all, you probably wouldn't be sending that sub much more than 800 wts anyway, and if you knew how to set your gains correctly, and didn't sit their and clip the **** out of it, I think you'd be fine. You could always go with the 800 wt version of that amp, but you would only save $20.... With wattage, it's always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :)

Last edited:
You didn't say how much space you had to work with...

But I bet this amp
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-1200-1d-car-amplifier

paired with this sub
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sdr-15-inch-car-subwoofer

would sound really nice.... In the right enclosure of course.

And BTW, I know this amp supposedly makes 1200 wts... and this sub is rated at 600... but with impedance drop and all, you probably wouldn't be sending that sub much more than 800 wts anyway, and if you knew how to set your gains correctly, and didn't sit their and clip the **** out of it, I think you'd be fine. You could always go with the 800 wt version of that amp, but you would only save $20.... With wattage, it's always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :)
PurpleKush, your not allowed to give my post a thumbs down, with giving a suggestion of your own :) lol

For 300, I'd be hitting Craigslist or fb market and buying used. My previous setup would have been more 3-350$ but was solid. Kicker 800.1 amp for ~200, 2x fu audio 6.5s $60 each, plus 20-30 for mdf and misc supplies.

The 15" dual 2 version of this
https://soundqubed.com/product/hds2-2-series-600w-subwoofer/
Powered by this
https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-850-monoblock-amplifier/
That puts it at $313.00
If it was really important to stick with the $300 then you could do the 12" version but for $10 it would be dumb not to get the 15"
Assuming you have the room for it
Don't forget even if your making the box yourself it is still like $100 in materials maybe more in the US due to the wood shortage right now
Plus another $100 for the wires

I have a buddy who just put 2 kicker comp r in his 2017 Honda Civic and was wondering what size alternator he has and if it will power them? He has a skar do-1500d amplifier. I wanted to put a similar wattage system in my truck it has a 105 amp alternator, it’s a work truck so no power windows no power locks everything is Manual. Will my truck be able to handle 1000-1200 watts rms?

Last edited:
I have a buddy who just put 2 kicker comp r in his 2017 Honda Civic and was wondering what size alternator he has and if it will power them? He has a skar do-1500d amplifier. I wanted to put a similar wattage system in my truck it has a 105 amp alternator, it’s a work truck so no power windows no power locks everything is Manual. Will my truck be able to handle 1000-1200 watts rms?
What cab configuration? Do you need a shallow sub? I really like Alpine amps for low power applications. With such a low budget you have to be patient. I recommend watching for deals/clearance.

I have a buddy who just put 2 kicker comp r in his 2017 Honda Civic and was wondering what size alternator he has and if it will power them. He has a skar to-1500d amplifier
What cab configuration? Do you need a shallow sub? I really like Alpine amps for low power applications. With such a low budget you have to be patient. I recommend watching for deals/clearance.
It’s a single cab, yeah I’ll probably need shallow subs. I currently have 500watts rms in there but i want to go probably 1000-1200 rms. You think my stock electrical will handle that?

If you already have 500 watts rms, blow the entire budget on a single JL 10tw3 if shallow if your goal. It's slightly over your budget, ~350$, and you'll need to build a ported box for it, but its also mind-blowing efficient for a 400 watt shallow sub, and the only one I can personally recommend that doesn't sound like ****. 2 of them in my 4 door wrangler, running on a single 800 watt kicker mono amp, hit so hard that I have to turn them down in the rain because they lift my windshield wipers off the windshield. Plus at 400 watts rms, no need for any electrical upgrades.

I've run kicker and pioneer slims, they are trash. There is a sundown I have not tried that looks interesting. The JL is expensive, but is quality. Plus, they jammed a full size motor and 15mm of xmax one way into a super shallow sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...