2023 Ford Bronco full system suggestion request

FuelEmpire

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi everyone! I'm meh with car audio. Some experience but don't know a ton. Would love some advice and feedback.

Looking to upgrade the system in my Bronco. Right now it has the B&O sound system with one of the worst subs I've ever heard. The mids and highs are weak (Especially with the top off).

I'd like to do this incrementally. I strongly prefer all speakers, subs and amps would be the same brand, of solid build quality, preferably american made, reasonable-ish pricing.

I'd like mids and highs to be crisp and bright, and bass to be immediate and punchy. I don't need to win any SPL competitions, but I don't mind my ears bleeding a little. I dont mind my subs being louder but lower quality, while my mids/highs are more quality than total output. Pretty sure even SQL mids/highs would be louder than my factory trash.

Brand possibilities? Let me know if any of these are trash or if something is missing from the list.
  • Kicker
  • Infinity (Don't know anything about them recently)
  • JL (maybe too pricey)
  • MTX (still relevant?)
  • Skar (chinese?)
  • RF (chinese now?)
Past brands I've loved: Polk, Orion, MTX... but its been years.

Here's my current plan:

# Phase 1 - Budget $800 w/o wiring kit
Amp, Sub, Box. I prefer either 2 12s or a single 15".

I looove low low bass, so the 15 is top choice... but punchiness. I hate the lag of a ported box. Maybe an L7R? L7T? Looking for advice on this. Kicker has a solid footprint in the Bronco space, and there are companies that sell ready-made harnesses for Kicker amps.

# Phase 2 - Budget $400
Replace the amp for the factory mids and highs.

Kicker makes a "Kicker Key 200.4" and the same company makes a ready-made harness.

# Phase 3 - Budget $800
Replace all mids and highs.

Please let me know what you think and offer up any suggestions or questions :)

Last edited:
Which year/trim Bronco?
Keeping existing HU or not?
Rear fill or not?
What area (space/placement) of the car are you dedicating (willing to give up) for the sub?
Some of this will impact future upgrades so important.
More importantly, what is the budget?

Power is cheap these days so may be able to wrap it up in a decent system right off the bat. The B&O system is pretty decent for a factory setup, what is it that you do not like? Not questioning your perception, just qualifying your preferences.

Hi everyone! I'm meh with car audio. Some experience but don't know a ton. Would love some advice and feedback.

Looking to upgrade the system in my Bronco. Right now it has the B&O sound system with one of the worst subs I've ever heard. The mids and highs are weak (Especially with the top off).

I'd like to do this incrementally. I strongly prefer all speakers, subs and amps would be the same brand, of solid build quality, preferably american made, reasonable-ish pricing.

I'd like mids and highs to be crisp and bright, and bass to be immediate and punchy. I don't need to win any SPL competitions, but I don't mind my ears bleeding a little. I dont mind my subs being louder but lower quality, while my mids/highs are more quality than total output. Pretty sure even SQL mids/highs would be louder than my factory trash.

Brand possibilities? Let me know if any of these are trash or if something is missing from the list.
  • Kicker
  • Infinity (Don't know anything about them recently)
  • JL (maybe too pricey)
  • MTX (still relevant?)
  • Skar (chinese?)
  • RF (chinese now?)
Past brands I've loved: Polk, Orion, MTX... but its been years.

Here's my current plan:

# Phase 1
Amp, Sub, Box. I prefer either 2 12s or a single 15".

I looove low low bass, so the 15 is top choice... but punchiness. I hate the lag of a ported box. Maybe an L7R? L7T? Looking for advice on this. Kicker has a solid footprint in the Bronco space, and there are companies that sell ready-made harnesses for Kicker amps.

# Phase 2
Replace the amp for the factory mids and highs.

Kicker makes a "Kicker Key 200.4" and the same company makes a ready-made harness.

# Phase 3
Replace the mids and highs.

Please let me know what you think and offer up any suggestions or questions :)
The biggest question is, what is your budget? There are a lot of inexpensive brands that offer excellent products. However, reliability has been a concern for most of them. Kicker, Infinity/JBL, and JL Audio are none to be pretty reliable and perform quite well and you can't go wrong with.

Ported boxes, if built by a pro, are as accurate as a seal box, and offer over twice the hit. Especially with the top off, I would use two 12's in a ported box. A 15" is also a good choice, but I feel they lack the speed and accuracy.

My opinion would be:
  • 2 Precision Power MPA1200.1 amps to run 2 subs. These are made in Korea and are known to be very reliable. They are also marine amps, so if your top is off and they get wet, for what ever reason, then they are still good. And, they are only $105 on Amazon.
  • 1 Precision Power MPA700.4 amp for the highs and mids. It is also a marine amp that is made in Korea. They go for $88 on Amazon, right now.
  • 2-12" NVX VCW122v3 subwoofers. These hit really hard, and they sound really good.
  • High and mids of your choice. Those are a personal preference.
  • Audio Control LC1 EQ.

id look into these...

sub Fi = good for the $, made in Vegas
mids/highs Focal = good for the $, bright sounding too

fwiw, im using a 12" Fi Xv3 for ht. got a 1k plate amp on the back...

IMG-3346_2.jpg

Last edited:
Which year/trim Bronco?
Keeping existing HU or not?
Rear fill or not?
What area (space/placement) of the car are you dedicating (willing to give up) for the sub?
Some of this will impact future upgrades so important.
More importantly, what is the budget?

Power is cheap these days so may be able to wrap it up in a decent system right off the bat. The B&O system is pretty decent for a factory setup, what is it that you do not like? Not questioning your perception, just qualifying your preferences.

2023 4 door wildtrak
Keep existing HU (its a 12" screen)
Rear door speakers, yes. All mids/highs in the vehicle.
I'm fine giving up half the cargo area or more.

I added budget to the original post.

As for the B&O, I don't mind the quality of the mids and highs. It's the lack of volume. I may not need a phase 3 if my phase 2 corrects the low volume.

The biggest question is, what is your budget? There are a lot of inexpensive brands that offer excellent products. However, reliability has been a concern for most of them. Kicker, Infinity/JBL, and JL Audio are none to be pretty reliable and perform quite well and you can't go wrong with.

Ported boxes, if built by a pro, are as accurate as a seal box, and offer over twice the hit. Especially with the top off, I would use two 12's in a ported box. A 15" is also a good choice, but I feel they lack the speed and accuracy.
Interesting @ top off. Didn't consider that... ported definitely moves more air, I just don't want the lag I've had in the past with a ported setup. LIstening to house music its like the kick happens after the song has already moved on.

What are your thoughts on prefab boxes? obviously it depends on the sub, but are there decent brands out there if I match the appropriate space requirements for the subs?

Budget has been added to the original post.

When it comes to prefab boxes, these guys rock the glue and screw market. Pick your woofer, find the box maid to spec, they ship you the flat pack, you glue it and screw it, finish it yourself for an outstanding enclosure at a reasonable price.

Keep in mind that generally speak-ering, ported is usually only about 3db louder overall and the ear perceives a doubling of the loudness at around 9-10 db.. The main advantage is extending the low end. Frankly, I've settled on sealed overall. You can't beat the sound quality and with cabin gain, my two Focal 33v2s in a 3.44 cubic foot box play into the low 30's with authority and accuracy not matched by many ported versions in that price range.

Last edited:
Interesting @ top off. Didn't consider that... ported definitely moves more air, I just don't want the lag I've had in the past with a ported setup. LIstening to house music its like the kick happens after the song has already moved on.

What are your thoughts on prefab boxes? obviously it depends on the sub, but are there decent brands out there if I match the appropriate space requirements for the subs?

Budget has been added to the original post.

I guess I should read a little slower. I also listen to house and EDM. in fact, I this is what I'm playing in my office right now. .

With a professionally ported box, you will not fill a lag. In fact, it sounds like your last system might have had a phase or delay issue. I don't recall ever hearing about ported boxes causing a time delay, and I have built hundreds of boxes.

For a prefab sealed enclosure, just make sure the mounting surface is double layered and the box has reinforcement supports inside. Also, make sure you have the proper airspace. There are quite a few good brands out there, but you might pay the same price to have one built. A custom-built sealed box will run you about $200.

With the equipment, I mentioned above, it would run just under $800. You might also want to look into an upgraded alternator, by at least 150 amps, and a good 20+ farad cap. You will be pushing over 2000 watts. Also, please don't mount the amps to the sub box.

How is NVX overall? Compared to something like Kicker?
I'd take the NVX all day long. The price performance ratio, the sound quality, always thought Kickers were kinda square! :)

Stereo Integrity, Fi Savard Hi Q, SOme of the American BASS units, lots of options out there. The 33V2 is a a really good SQL driver, and they are only about $229 each.

Last edited:
As for a cap, some of the small AGMs are better for that should you need. For instance I am selling a couple, one Energie 1200 and an XS power for $60 dollars shipped, got me a Glow Voltage series 1 coming so never installed this one the comparable Energi

A little reserve when you need it. I'm going to put together something on your list this evening now that I see what I'm working with.

Last edited:
being a numbers nerd, I'm working on a spreadsheet with some options based on feedback here and my own exploration. The PPI subs look like ass so don't mind that tab. Cant find any feedback on them, but figured if the amps were recommended...

Totally Nerdy Bronco Priceout Spreadsheet
Looks nerdy indeed! Accountant? Jk...

PPI isn't the PPI of old, not for a long time now. This sub at $112

Or this one at $90

nvx.com/collections/vc-series-car-subwoofers/products/vcw104v3-1600w-peak-800w-rms-10-vc-series-v3-dual-4-ohm-subwoofer

Or this one $145

Lots of options

The higher end NVX subs look great, but I'm worried about the power draw. Not only does it put me over budget but I don't wanna murder my alternator. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...