2014 Accord Sport SQ Build keep_hope_alive

4 hours of effort treating the passenger door. that's deadening, absorption, MLV barrier and CCF decoupler, and then terminating the speaker wires i had previously ran into the door. tomorrow i will repeat for the passenger door. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
the passenger door needed deadening, so a few sheets of BXT II did the trick.

accorddoors001.jpg

then came the most important part of treating a door - adding absorption. this is a 1" thick compressed fiberglass ceiling tile (with the white cover removed). $6 per 2'x4' piece. this is easier to work with than the loose batt insulation and being compressed it offers more absorption with less hassle.

accorddoors002.jpg

accorddoors003.jpg

accorddoors005.jpg

next came the barrier. the factory barrier is thin. i wanted to use MLV for the barrier but had the challenge of keeping water out. the factory setup has a slit where water can drain but it is flawed. so i added Ensolite (CCF( to the metal where the MLV will contact and also to the entire inside (one piece, sticky side out) to stick to the MLV and create a watertight barrier.

accorddoors014.jpg

accorddoors016.jpg

accorddoors018.jpg
I'm trying to find these insulating tiles locally. I checked out the Lowes and Home Depot websites, but I'm not sure what these things looked like before you cut them down. Would so be so kind as to provide me with a product link?

I'm trying to find these insulating tiles locally. I checked out the Lowes and Home Depot websites, but I'm not sure what these things looked like before you cut them down. Would so be so kind as to provide me with a product link?
They have a thin white plastic covering. I have a photo in Lowe's I will find.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Isn't that stuff 2" or something? Would a similar ceiling tile, thinner though, work? My home Depot and Lowes do not carry that particular tile. I've been in numerous times looking

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just tapping the pins wasn't consistent and the HU circuitry didn't like the parallel connections. It was randomly muting output. So I removed the IC to also get a confirmation of the chip used.

20150705_160604.jpg

This is the actual IC

STI_TDA7851F_Datasheet.png

I removed the IC pins and decided to solder the RCA stranded wires directly to the board

20150705_165713.jpg

20150705_180333.jpg

I changed the location of the RCA jacks which fit much better

20150705_181847.jpg

20150705_182559.jpg

works great. I didn't get the channel assignments correct. This is the channel assignment

IN1 = Front Right

IN2 = Front Left

IN3 = Rear Left

IN4 = Rear Right

This surprises me because the circuit layout wasn't symmetric, was completely different than the similar IC I suspected, and i expected an attenuated rear with the front channels having the parallel inputs as seen on the board.

The good news is that both front and rear outputs sound the same. I observed bass roll-off in the output compared to my 9887 but it sounded MUCH better than the speaker outputs. Volume 39 of 40 had no clipping and sounded great - a signal level that matched the AUX input on my HU.

RTA testing completed. Front matches Rear in frequency response but not in level. Front is louder (as we all knew) by 8dB.

FRONT

AccordBypassRTA_FrontClose.png

REAR

AccordBypassRTA_RearClose.png

Front (same as above, different scale)

AccordBypassRTA_Front.png

Compare to the RTA I did on the speaker outputs

AccordAsIsRTA.png

2014AccordHUOutputPinkNoise.jpg

Looks like the roll-off is the same and certainly ahead of the factory amp. But this is able to be managed and with ultra-low distortion, i think a standard bass restoration interface or processor should be fine. Especially a processor with an auto-EQ CD that measures the factory output. Regardless of this bypass or high-level inputs, the advantage here is eliminating the HU distortion.

Is that what you are aiming for?
A clean signal is what I wanted. Something I can work with. I didn't expect it to be flat. Yes, mission accomplished. I am happy the front is the same as rear, because the front has hands free calling on it.

I would prefer a flat response but a MiniDSP can get me there.

Note the above are directly from the HU, not a mic measurement.

A clean signal is what I wanted. Something I can work with. I didn't expect it to be flat. Yes, mission accomplished. I am happy the front is the same as rear, because the front has hands free calling on it.
I would prefer a flat response but a MiniDSP can get me there.

Note the above are directly from the HU, not a mic measurement.

I was thinking that was acoustic.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...